Search results for "Posted by TheGriff"
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 03, 2009 in: Twitter Reminders Not Working
Score: 0
Posted by Proximo:
That's it. I am getting an iPhone.

Problem Solved.

LOL

You joke about it but I highly recommend the iPhone if it's available to you and you live in a place with good 3g coverage. It's honestly the best gadget I have every bought and has helped me become more productive both in terms of planned tasks and getting things done during quick bursts of idle time we all have every day.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 03, 2009 in: Handling over 150 Projects
Posted by Proximo:
Just wanted to be fair and point something out about Toodledo. Griff, I understand your point and it's a valid one.

I think the issue for many of us is that Toodledo is so flexible that many started to use it for GTD.

Since Toodledo is the one advertising the use of GTD with their software, many GTDers are asking for features that are important for the GTD workflow. So this is where these request come from.

FWIW I am a GTD'r too and I find TD to be perfectly fine for managing my lists. Again though I am taking a simple approach to GTD and using the technology in lieu of a bunch of sheets of paper.
This is a good comparison. In either model, Projects are not easy to create and manage.

For example:

1. The ability to create a task and assign it to a project on the fly.
2. The ability to use subtask as intended and not in Flat mode and still be informed of due dates.
3. The ability to have an area where Projects are managed as project without having a work around or using task related options like Star and Tag to identify them easier
4. The ability for Projects to show only the Next Action required to move it forward, per GTD as an option.
5. The ability to list a Project and manage context easily.

Again I must disagree as I'm finding projects quite easy to create and manage.

1. TD just implemented the ability to add a subtask on the fly so I think you would agree this is moot.
2. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. For me, 95% of the time I want my project flattened so I only see the next actions due.
3. I put all my projects into the _Projects context. When I want to review I simply filter into _Projects and nest subtasks. I can also create a search specific to the project if I want to drill into one project specifically.
4. All of my tasks default to "Hold" and I hide deferred tasks except during _Projects review. When I complete a task I either make the next step a "Next Action" or do so during the next review of project status. To me this is no different than doing the same thing in a paper system though much quicker. I'll grant you TD could do something to make it even better but as is it follows GTD methodology.
5. Again, not sure what you mean by this.

I sincerely do feel TD has everything needed to manage GTD. Too often in the software arena we get caught up with function(s) over form. I grant you there are things TD can do to improve project management but they are not things that must be done for them to continue their claim of GTD support. As is TD supports GTD well.

Back in the late '90s I went to class on "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". Shortly after I got my first Palm PDA, Datebk3 and HanDBase. I remember spending 2 days setting up a system that had all the bells and whistles I could ever need. Then I realized the system was so complex it was unmanageable. The problem was I had built-in all these "nice to have" views that really made things more complex than they ever needed to be.

Since that time I have ensured my designs remain simple as I know the desire to add features can take over and ruin a perfectly good piece of software.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 03, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
Maybe the mods here could split the Evernote stuff into a new thread?

Big KC...I'm surprised you aren't using the Toodledo Firefox extension to get things into Toodledo. I use it all the time to capture web pages I want to check in on later.

I'm confused about the problems you have finding EN URLs. If you click on the note to open it you should be able to copy the link from the address bar. In fact I just tested the Firefox extension's ability to "Toodledo This Page" within an EN note and it worked flawlessly. I had to type in the "task" name but it filled in the EN url in the note field perfectly.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 02, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
Posted by Anders:

Here is where you should request Evernote integration if you have not already: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/300/0/what-new-connections-do-you-want-to-see.html

As an aside...I think the integration sticking point would be Evernote. I looked through their export options the other night and there really aren't any. I'm sure the TD devs would be happy to add the import but I think Evernote is interested in keeping your information to themselves.
TheGriff_2

I'm not really a fan to be honest. I believe it goes against the principles of GTD. That said if it were added I don't think it'd impact my use of TD so I won't vote against it other than to say I hope the devs focus on some of my suggestions first. ;-)

When I review my context based lists I filter out those items I can't do at the present time which is the intent of the GTD process. For example all of my calls are in my @Phone context. If it really bothers you to see personal calls in the list why not put them in @Home since I can't imagine a scenario when your home would suddenly be lacking a phone.

I setup a context anytime I need to be in a specific location or have specific equipment with me. For example I have many tasks in my @Laptop context since they can only be done on my computer. I also have a bunch of stuff in @Web that can be done from any computer, including my iPhone. Similarly I have an @Parents context for items they've asked me to do on my next visit.

One request I have made is to allow for "super contexts" that would pull in many contexts at once. For example I'd have one called @Home that would include @Apartment, @Phone, @Web, @Laptop and @Anywhere. To me that'd accomplish some of what you are looking for though you would need to have more contexts based on your example.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 02, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
Score: 1
Posted by Claudio
It doesn't matter whether David Allen would be appalled or not -- who cares?!

Well you should care when you say a system is not meant for GTD. I would think DA to be the best judge of what systems work so whether he'd be appalled at your system is relevant.

Posted by Big KC:
In other words, I have no problem at all with what you've said, Claudio. I just take issue with the claims in this string that "TD is not for GTD". It just confuses the real issue.

A much more helpful discussion would be: what characteristics would that intermediate project planning tool have? To me, it would be fairly simple outlining capability, seperate from the task lists, but with a simple way to move any item from the outline to the task list.

Another helpful discussion would be what to do in the meantime, since TD doesn't have that capability right now. Is there an online outlining tool or other project planning tool that can be integrated with TD using the email task creation (for example)?

You got across exactly what I was trying to say in my post. I have no issues with a lively discussion on how TD can get better. I do take issue with anyone who says TD is not for GTD.

Then there are the GTD processes like collecting data (which I do in Evernote), organizing reference materials (which Toodledo supports somewhat in the Notebook, but it's weak--I use Evernote for that too), processing data into next actions (which Toodledo handles fine, once you get the data in there),etc.

Would you be willing to share the ways in which you use Evernote to do capture and processing...specifically as it relates to TD? I think a new thread would be needed.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: How are you using Folders?
Might I suggest Pocket Informant may be the issue? I've not used it but I have looked at many of the other apps that use the same methodology.

While I admit to thinking of going to the folder approach I have to admit being happy with using the parent/child subtask approach for my projects.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: Toodledo is not for GTD
Big KC hit the nail on the head in terms of how David Allen sees GTD.

The real problem with GTD is it's an idea and methodology. It is NOT a system nor does it prescribe the perfect system. Sure the book and later GTD blog posts give ideas for how to set up a system but there are no cut and dry rules.

That's both good and bad for the same reason. It allows the individual to customize a system for their liking. The downside is that it takes people time to set up their "perfect" system. Most people left to their own devices most people will complicate the system with unneeded features including those that detract from GTD.

People who flat out say "This app is not for GTD" are flat out wrong. Sure it may not be ideal for how you want to GTD but since there is no prescribed system your statements are merely opinion.

A simple GTD system (for task management) can be had with a few sheets of paper. One for next actions, a few for projects, one for an inbox and one each for Waiting/Someday items. That's it. How you choose to use those project sheets is entirely up to you as long as they contain steps needed to complete the project. You also must commit to reviewing those sheets regularly and moving tasks from them to the next actions list.

Consider Toodledo a tool that aims to replace those pieces of paper. I doubt anyone would argue that it's not superior for inbox, next action, waiting and someday list management. What's at issue here is how people CHOOSE to manage projects.

I'm of the opinion that those complaining about TD's lack of project management features are making the process too complicated. In fact I'd wager David would be appalled by their systems' complexity were he to sit with them for a day.

David preaches simplicity of system. The more complex you make the system the more time it takes to maintain and the less motivation you'll have to use it as intended. Keep it simple and you will keep coming back, too complex and you'll avoid at all costs.

That said there are features I'd like to see in Toddledo and I'll even admit to having some thought of switching to the folder project technique rather than the subtask approach I use now. Those features I see as lacking do not cause TD to be an invalid tool for GTD for me let alone everyone. They would however make it a nice tool for me.

I realize my post is opinonated just as the others in this thread have been. I urge people to take a step back and re-think how complex they want their systems to be as complexity is the enemy of GTD.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: Search request
I'd like to see a search parameter be added that let's me search for parent tasks that have no un-completed tasks.

Currently I can see parents with no sub-taks and that allows me to quickly identify which projects (parents) need subtasks however it doesn't allow me to see what projects need a next action.

Thanks in advance for the consideration.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: Handling over 150 Projects
@Lite1

Very good post...can't add much to it. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the status field though I suspect I'll have to become one eventually. In other words I've not used it much, so can't comment. To answer your question, yes my lists are a bit cluttered.

@Proximo

While I agree Toodledo is not a project manager I must say that it's not meant to be one. Sure it might be nice if they add those features but I wouldn't expect them to as toodledo is a todo manager.

I'm also not sure that the parent/child task stuff that they've added isn't actually a basic project manager. What you want from a project management app is likely different from what I want which is different from what Molaris wants.

In fact I would say that for me Toodledo manages projects the way I use projects in my every day life. I think this is a strong YMMV area.
TheGriff_2

In that case I think I'd add a tag with the project name to each task. My understanding is Toodledo staff is working on functionality that will help aleveiate the manual typing you'll need to do but that's not out yet.

You could then sort by tag within the iPhone app and you quickly see what project the task is under.

Using the sorting mechanism you could also switch to the folder for project method and sort by folder.

There are three things that I think make that a "bad" method.

1. You don't get the notes field per project that let's you create a mission for the project, etc. I suppose you could add the first task to house that info but to me it's clunky.

2. Folders take more steps to create than tags.

3. I use folders to keep track of clients and that may be something you'd like to do.

That said I think you have to decide what is best for you. Now that I think about it the folder method would seems better for you until Toodledo makes tag copy from parent possible.
TheGriff_2

I'm implementing my projects as tasks with next actions being subtasks.

On the iPhone you will see the "Parent" task at the bottom of the list of fields for each next action.

On the web you can click the parent task icon to have the parent task instantly shown. To hide the parent again simply click on the current context tab again.

If you create your Projects (parent tasks) in a _Project context you'll have a tab in the Context view that will show you all you need at weekly review time. This will work on the iPhone too.
TheGriff_2

Posted Jun 01, 2009 in: When do you define "next action #2"?
Actually there is a place within GTD for creating those 'next actions' up front. It's called brainstorming.

Generally the first task in any of my projects is "Brainstorm ___". This signals me to spend some time to capture as many tasks related to that project as possible which in turns facilitates getting the project out of my mind and into the system. If you don't do that you are constantly going to be thinking of items for that project and your mind will not resemble water in any form. ;-) In fact you acknowledge that happens in your post.

That said if you don't flesh out the project ahead of time as you begin to think of things that need to be done you have got to get them into Toodledo (or at least on paper) that instant. Then during your daily processing you will associate those tasks with the project and voila you have your next actions.

That said I think it is a good practice to do a quick project sweep each day to ensure there is a next action for each project. I don't know how GTD compliant this is as I'm just now beginning to read the book again after four years. Nonetheless it should take less than a minute when all is well and will ensure projects don't stall.

I must admit I am in the process of setting Toodledo up as my GTD system. I've been system-less for a while and let me tell you there is an overload of 'next actions' swirling in my head. I'm glad it's so easy to dump stuff in to Tooledo, it really seems to be the best tool for me.

Hope that helps!
TheGriff_2

Posted May 28, 2009 in: Context groups (iPhone)
I'd love to be able to group contexts together for easy selection. For example my 'Home' group would contain @Home, @Laptop, @Web, @Phone, @Anywhere. Similarly 'Client' would contain a different set of contexts.

I can do this already with saved searches on the website. Ideally I'd like to see this sort of thing as a sperate section of the website called something like 'Super-contexts' but since the functionality is there it's not urgent.

What is urgent, to me, is to have a similar functionality on the iPhone. I realize my real request should be custom searches on the iPhone but to me these context views should be simpler than a custom search.

Thanks in advance for the consideration.
TheGriff_2

I used to be quite active on both the Shadowplan and Datebk5/6 mailing lists a few years ago when I used Palm devices.

Wondering if anyone else who reads these forums has also come from the above mentioned programs on the Palm. Particularly interested in former Shadow users as I think Toodledo is what Jeff was thinking of developing one day.
TheGriff_2

Posted May 20, 2009 in: Two More Improvements
The problem is the deferred filter turns off everything that's deferred...which I don't want.

I think my second option would solve both of our issues. Sure it's not a pop-up but it is a two step procedure which will prevent accidental deletions. Click the trash can then click permanently delete.

Of course everyone uses systems differently. Personally I do check off cancelled tasks as I have made a decision on that task and it is now complete.
TheGriff_2

Posted May 20, 2009 in: Todo list and notebook really seperate?
Posted by Toodledo:
We do plan to have tighter integration with Notebook and Tasks in the future. We built the Notebook to support Appigo's Notebook iPhone app and haven't done much with it since then. We have a lot of things on our to-do list related to improving the Notebook in the future.

Thanks for the update...please add my vote for making the notebook stuff a bit of a priority. Really digging using Toodledo, not so much the Notebook.
TheGriff_2

Posted May 20, 2009 in: Two More Improvements
Like others I delete tasks only when they're duplicated for some reason.

That said it makes some sense that when I want to "delete" a task I simply set it to cancelled and check it off.

I wonder if there's a possibility of auto-completing a task when it's status is set to cancelled. Another thought on this would be to have the trashcan pop-up a submenu that let's you choose from cancel/complete and permanently delete.

That second option would give the confirmation others in the thread have mentioned.

Thoughts?
TheGriff_2

Posted May 15, 2009 in: Todo list and notebook really seperate?
Is it just me or do the todo list and notebook have no way interact?

Often times I'll add something to the todo list from Firefox that is really just reference material. Really the todo list is not the place for it so I'd like the ability to quickly move it over to the notebook. Is there any way to do this?

Really what I envision here...and I know this will become a feature request...is to have the notebook merely be a view of the todo list that shows just those items with status reference.

Yes I know I can create a search but it'd be awesome if the notebook worked this way so I would be able to click one link and see all my "notes".

Thoughts...ideas?
TheGriff_2

Posted May 14, 2009 in: Action Lists: GTD/Toodledo iPhone app
So the question everyone must ask is how this new app is better than the Toodledo app that costs half the price. Obviously everyone's perception will be different but a quick bullet list of Action List's advantages would be helpful.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9      Next