ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Linden"
Linden

Posted Jul 23, 2009 in: Getting a pro subscription
Score: 0
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 23, 2009
  • Score: 0
This sounds a bit like a pushy sales pitch -- sorry. Basically, I just want to share my 2-cents as a recent graduate.

I graduated just over a year ago and only discovered Toodledo at the beginning of this year. I upgraded to the Pro version almost right away, mainly for the subtasks, but also because the chains and statistics looked like something I wanted. I had intended to use it only for personal things, but it has transformed my ability to keep up with projects at my job now, as well.

In my experience, my courses would have been MUCH easier to manage with this kind of tool. I decided not to go to grad school, due to burnout, and I suspect that might not have been a problem if I'd had Toodledo.

The subtasks make it really easy to break down something like writing a paper into smaller steps. You can make a parent task that relates to a class project and then enter all the little steps needed to get it from concept to completion. It is my #1 weapon against procrastination. (And the scheduler is great for getting me moving in those moments when I can't decide what to do next.)

Obviously, I have no idea what your financial situation is like. I've known people who really were within $15 of the end of their bank account, and every penny was spoken for. For me, $15 was a very small investment to make life loads easier. As a comparison, I would easily spend as much on a night out with friends, or more on a textbook.

It did seem like a big investment, since I'm not in the habit of paying for services online, but I haven't had any regrets. If you would spend $15 on something for class, it might be worth taking the leap.
Linden

Posted Jul 19, 2009 in: Three improvements to our forums
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 19, 2009
Wonderful, and elegant -- thanks!
Linden

Posted Jul 17, 2009 in: Subtask icon
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Interesting! I never really registered that there was a coloured-in portion for the subtask icon (on Toodledo's site -- I don't have an iPhone).

My interpretation was that the subtask was a colourless version representing just a piece of the whole. Parent tasks were coloured in to show this was the big-picture. It looked like the profile of a person to me, so I never clued in that there was a box on top representing the parent and three boxes on the bottom representing multiple subtasks.

I can see why iPhone users who understood the picture might find the "accidental" reversal more intuitive!

This message was edited Jul 17, 2009.
Linden

Score: 1
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 15, 2009
  • Score: 1
Thank you so much for sharing this!

I'm always signing up for something new, and have a lot of e-mail filters set up. Still, I never seem to read half the stuff that comes in.

I'm going to follow your lead and trim a bunch this weekend. (Weekends are when I do a lot of my decluttering tasks.)
Linden

• Linden
Posted by Alisa:
If I skip some of the subtasks and mark the parent as complete will they be marked as complete? There are some sub-tasks that I don't do every day and I want my history to reflect this.
Thanks

My experience with this has been that the subtasks that aren't checked off when the parent is marked complete are removed from your list of tasks but NOT marked complete themselves. (That is, they don't appear in your history/recently completed lists.)

If they are set to repeat with the parent, they do still appear in the new parent task.
Linden

• Linden
Posted by Anders:
BTW, you absolutely can sort by Folder in Due Date View. You can sort by anything in any View as a matter of fact.

Just in case it's hard to find, you can sort by any single criteria by clicking the heading name. If you want to sort by 2 criteria (or 3 with a Pro account), you can click "Sort" near the top and choose the fields from dropdown boxes.

Also, I've *finally* figured out those Hide X Tasks filters too. They were very confusing for me for some reason.

In case they were confusing for bgold, too:
* Hide "Deferred" Tasks hides tasks based on Status
* Hide "Future" Tasks hides tasks based on start and due dates. (Anything starting after today or due more than a week in the future.)
Linden

Posted Jul 15, 2009 in: Non-repeating tasks with Optionally On
  • Linden
Posted by Anders:
Then when the Due Date passes, it would still show up as due today every day. When you do get around to completing it though, you would have to delete it rather than checking it off or it would show up again the next day.

This is a good workaround, but instead of deleting it on the final day, you could just change the repeat to "none" before checking it off. That way it will appear in your list of completed tasks, in case you use those for anything.

I like thpope's idea of having the date removed rather than deleting a non-repeating optional task.
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Jul 13, 2009
If it helps, I've noticed through my own experiments that repeating optional tasks won't roll over until the repeat day arrives.

So, if a task repeats daily, the optional task will have a refreshed due date every day.

If a task repeats every two days, on the second day the optional task will appear overdue, and on the third day it will be refreshed.

My guess is that if the task is set to repeat with parent, it will appear overdue until the parent is checked off (as you guessed).
Linden

• Linden
  • Posted: Jul 10, 2009
Hitting F5 will also reload the page in your browser, for most browsers, if you don't have Keyboard Shortcuts enabled for whatever reason.
Linden

Posted Jul 09, 2009 in: Change the name "Toodledo"
Score: 1
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 09, 2009
  • Score: 1
I'm on the boat with Christopher, here. Toodledo *is* a somewhat silly name, but that doesn't need to be a point against it -- even in the serious corporate world. I don't know any people in "serious" business who refuse to use Google because it's a silly name.

In fact, the lighthearted aspect of the name can actually be a benefit to the sell:

"Toodledo"
- sounds like something that might be uttered by someone strolling in the park, with nothing distracting them from enjoying their personal time. Perhaps that person is using a powerful task manager that allows them the peace of mind that everything is on track -- so they can actually relax when away from work.

- suggests a light, fun experience that is so different from using other task management software. And if it's fun (or at least easy), your staff will be more likely to keep on top of it rather than procrastinate. This could make it an ideal productivity tool in the office.

So, it's certainly possible to market Toodledo as a serious, powerful task manager that makes your weighty tasks feel light as a feather.
Linden

Posted Jul 07, 2009 in: Can I link tasks?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 07, 2009
@Proximo,

I edit the task title directly.

My sorting order sometimes varies, but it's often by importance or due date. Lately, I've also been using the "all goals/contexts" views, and sorting by goal or context with collapsed dividers so I can see my >9 headings on one page.

So, to address what I suspect is your real question, the tasks aren't necessarily appearing in order on my default lists.

I often click the subtask icon to call up a full list for a project, if it's a non-trivial task, which summons the parent task to that point in the list and usually sorts the subtasks alphabetically by default.

As with so many Toodledo features, the usefulness of this workaround may vary dramatically depending on how someone is using the system. But I thought it might be useful for the OP who didn't seem to need something super-sophisticated. :)
Linden

Posted Jul 07, 2009 in: Rackspace failed us again
  • Linden
Posted by Toodledo:
To answer Linden's question, while it is possible to have servers at different datacenters, the challenged would be keeping the data 100% in sync between the two datacenters. This would require a high-bandwidth private connection between the two, which might not be possible or might be cost prohibitive. The other issue is that switching traffic from the failed datacenter to the working datacenter would take time due to the way DNS works. So it would really only be protection from a major catastrophe, like a fire that took our server offline for multiple days. But we are exploring this option to see if it is affordable.

Thanks for the answer. Sounds to me like the cons/difficulties outweigh the potential pros -- especially since the pros appear to be negligible.
Linden

Posted Jul 07, 2009 in: Can I link tasks?
  • Linden
On the rare occasion that I need ordering in my subtasks, I put a number at the front of the task name.

I use this in combination with the status: "Next Action" for tasks I can do now and "Hold" for tasks waiting for an earlier one to be completed.

EDIT: In case it was unclear, I'll specify that I do this for subtasks where the parent is a task that has multiple steps that need to be done in a particular order.

This message was edited Jul 07, 2009.
Linden

Posted Jul 07, 2009 in: Rackspace failed us again
  • Linden
Yes, I too lucked out and only experienced the outage over lunch.

Sorry to hear that this power issue is STILL ongoing. Best of luck in shopping and migrating hosts.

I'm not especially conversant in hosting issues, so forgive me if this is an impossible/expensive/whatever idea, but:
Might it be possible to have a server with one host and another with a different host?

Rackspace, from what I've been hearing, is generally one of the top hosting solutions available. So I'm gathering that others might have similar problems. If it's possible/affordable, it could be nice to have servers with two companies so that an outage with one still leaves the site operating with the other -- regardless of who it is.

In any case, I'm definitely sticking around while you sort it out. The system has been priceless for me identifying and acting on my goals!
Linden

Posted Jul 01, 2009 in: Forum Moderator and some improvements
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2009
Congrats, Anders. You've been an effective volunteer within the forums for a long time, and I agree with others that it's cool to see that role officially recognized.

You are dedicated, knowledgable, and always have unique insights into how the system can be used to complete everyone's unique feature wishlists!
Linden

Posted Jul 01, 2009 in: Another power outage, again
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jul 01, 2009
I was away for a week, so missed all of these outages. Sorry to hear about these problems you've been experiencing, but I'm happy to see that it hasn't caused you any of the same sort of headaches as The Big One.
Linden

Posted Jun 19, 2009 in: Default values for e-mailing tasks?
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jun 19, 2009
Nice to know it's on the dev list!

Regarding overriding defaults, I had imagined that if I didn't specify a field, the system would use the default, but if I entered it that would override the default. Basically that only fields left empty would have default values filled in.

This is like what happens if I create a task in a folder or context tab -- the field corresponding to the tab I'm in is auto-filled, but the others take my default settings.

Anyway, it always looks simpler on paper (or the imagination) than in the code block. Thanks for working on it!
Linden

Posted Jun 18, 2009 in: Search Export
  • Linden
  • Posted: Jun 18, 2009
Nice workaround. Being able to export a search could still be very handy, but this should be workable in the meantime!
Linden

Posted Jun 18, 2009 in: Default values for e-mailing tasks?
  • Linden
So, I recently decided to enable adding tasks to Toodledo using e-mail.

I set a few defaults values so I didn't have to worry about setting things like folders or contexts if I was e-mailing in a hurry. (Basically, I set up an "inbox" for unprocessed tasks, so I can quickly find new tasks and edit fields as needed.)

Unfortunately, it looks like those default values aren't being applied to my e-mails. I had to hunt for a task that I added the other day, and it would have been faster to login to Toodledo in the end.

So, is this something I'm doing wrong, or does e-mail actually not support default values? If it doesn't support the defaults, can this functionality be added in the future? (Please?)

Thanks!
Linden

Posted Jun 18, 2009 in: Customizable reminders/alarms
  • Linden
Posted by lite1:

E) My Hotlist setting are at least Priority 2 and due within 7 days so was surprised to see my item:
pay for pro subscription of TD
Top Priority
Due: May 16, 2010
I assume that this yearly repeating task should not be showing up in the email given my account settings for Hotlist?

I can't address much of your questions, but this is one I know!

The hotlist will show all tasks due in the next 7 days, and also any task with priority 2 or higher -- regardless of due date. So, if renewing your pro subscription was listed as priority 2, it would appear in the list.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11      Next