ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by Folke X"
Folke X

Posted Aug 14, 2011 in: Todo or Toodledo
Score: 0
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 14, 2011
  • Score: 0
Does Todo support saved searches? If so, it might be worthwhile to keep it for the time being, as neither the Toodledo app nor the Pocket Informant app supports this. (They both have just a single hotlist with very limited configurability.)
Folke X

Posted Aug 13, 2011 in: Calendar Times
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 13, 2011
I use Google Apps, too, and it works. (I am now talking about the now available one-way sync FROM Toodledo TO GCal proper - not to a gadget):

1. In Toodledo, click Tools - More - Calendar/Configure.
Then click Enable Calendar Subscriptions if you haven't already done so.
Then you will get a choice of four secret different urls (via which different parts of your Toodledo data can be fetched from the outside, e.g. from GCal). Copy the first one. It looks something like this:
webcal://www.toodledo.com/id/x3f36sdghdmnd6e736egdjdf7f/ical_live_events.ics

2. In GCal proper, click Settings - Create Calendar etc. and paste in the url which points to your Toodledo data.

It worked straight away from me, and I use Google Apps, too.
Folke X

• Folke X
I think Toodledo intends to incorporate saved searches in a future revision of the iPhone/iPod app.

Another feature that would solve this problem (I hope it gets implemented - the sooner the better, as this would be really,really useful for me) is user-defined grouping of a search, in other words allowing a search to comprise a number of separate list sections, with dividers between them in the list, where the user can define both the divider text (section heading) and all the filtering and sorting criteria for each section separately (independently of the other sections).

If that feature were in place you would have been able to easily add a section at the end of your list where you put all your Completed Today - regardless of what selection criteria you had used for the upper part of your list.

This feature originally was suggested here (post 4; half-way down in the post)
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/11500/0/save-sort-order-with-saved-search.html
Folke X

• Folke X
No, Marketa, if you sort by Date Completed, the completed ones will in fact come last.

I wonder, though, whether it is really worth it for you to sacrifice one sort order just to see the tasks you have completed.

What you might do instead is save a separate search that has the condition Date Completed | is | Today. In this way the tasks completed today are just a click away.

Or (clumsy solution), if you often sort by a certain field, say, priority or status, then you could make it a habit to set the task's priority ot status to -1 or Canceled. In this way they will come as a separate group in your lista, but it means you add a bit of click-work for each completed task.

I had completed-today tasks in my hotlists for a while, but I got rid of them. They obstructed my view, and I did not have the energy to change them to Canceled, or to vhange the sorting order. I now use a separate "Completed Today" search if I ever need to go back and double-check something. I still have completed tasks in my separate project lists, though, but I think I will drop those, too.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Aug 13, 2011 in: Proximo's GTD Setup
Score: -1
  • Folke X
  • Score: -1
@Sirrick:

What I do is I make use of the other statuses too, not just Next Action. This gives me a neat pipline of tasks:

- Next Action are indeed the first ones
- Active are the next bunch
- then Hold, and finally
- Someday

In addition you have the "limbo" statuses of Waiting,Delegated and Planning.

Beware, though, that I do not know whether this is entirely in line witg GTD ptoper, but I believe it is at least reasonably well in line. (I am a GTD sympathizer, but I never tried to be a strict GTD follower.)

I have a hotlist (saved search) that lists both the Next Actions and anything with a due date of today or earlier (plus a few other things I like to have on screen.)

And just like you, my most common context is such that I have all the phones, computers and everything else I need, so I get a clearer overview in my list if I leave context blank for those. I do use context for errands, though. Actually, I use two contexts for errands: "Away empty-handed" and "Away with things". (And I also make use of the Context field to indicate that this task is actually a Project)
Folke X

Posted Aug 12, 2011 in: Calendar Times
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 12, 2011
All I know is how I did it - it was very simple:

1) In Toodledo, under Tools I think, find the appropriate url adress of your timed tasks. Then copy this (ctrlC).

2) In GCal, under Settings, create a new calendar, find the url field there, and paste (ctrlV), then save.
Folke X

Posted Aug 12, 2011 in: Error catcher in "hotlist"
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 12, 2011
Do you sometimes forget to fill out all the necessaty things when entering a new task? And then have to spend time finding it?

In my "Now" lists (saved searches that constitue my "hotlists") I have included a few selection criteria that catch tasks that have not been entered properly.

In my case, a Folder is compulsory, a Status is compulsory, and one particular kind of tag is compulsory (I have given these tags the common prefix "." to facilitate filtering).

My "Now" lists always test for the presence of values for these fields, and keep showing tasks until all mandatory fields have been filled out. Therefore incomplete tasks don't get "lost".

Also, I can deliberately "misuse" this mechanism for quick adding "quick day notes to myself", e.g. "don't forget to mail the letter later". Since many compulsory fields are missing these tasks will automatically show on my "Now" lists. I don't need to enter a due date of today or status of next action etc to make it appear.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 11, 2011
What I do is this:

I have two special Contexts for two different kinds of project. One of these is "single-task" project, which I treat them as a single long-term task even if implicitly there are many steps along the way. They can have a due date or not.

If these projects are such that I want to work on them now, I set their Status to Next Action, which is the highest. In your case you would probably use Priority, and set that to 3 (apparently you are using priority instead of status for choosing in what order to do dateless tasks and long-term tasks).

My hotlist (i.e. my favorite saved search) would list your kind of tasks like this:

- Short-term tasks, such as those due today, are chosen by due date only, regardless of priority (Status in my case)

- Long-term tasks, such as your projects, by Priority alone (Status in my case), regrdless of due date.

In other words, the saved search includes both a "due before tomorrow" and a "status equals next action", (and in my case I have some checks for finding tasks with insufficent data also in my hotlist).

The reason I use Status instead of Priority is:

- it has more different values, including Waiting etc, which I find handy.
- the field (the names of the values) seems to have been put there precisely for the purpose of sequencing, i.e. determining the relative timing etc of dateless and long-term tasks.
- it allows me to use priority in the classical sense of "importance" (as opposed to "urgency"), which then becomes a "clean" and stable attribute of the task. If I want to move the task backward or forward I change the Status setting, but i never lose sight of the importance=priority.
Folke X

Posted Aug 10, 2011 in: Super slow task notes
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 10, 2011
I will continue to keep my eyes open and look for possible answers.

The only additional clue I have at the moment - probably not worth much - is there seems to be a relationship between the length of the list and the amount of lagging.

Short lists with less than 5 tasks almost never seem to have any lag. With 5-15 tasks the lag varies from being just noticeable to being a hindrance. With longer lists than that, it is often best, if I am in a hurry and have a few sentences to write, to get the task via some other search or filtering and edit it from a narrower selection (shorter list).
Folke X

Posted Aug 10, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
  • Folke X
@Marcel: "Importance" is still available as the default sort order in Main, and as an optional sort order under all other views.
Folke X

Posted Aug 10, 2011 in: Super slow task notes
  • Folke X
I also tried installing SeaMonkey - a Firefox sibling. It lags too, straight out of the box, without any customizations of any kind having been made. But IE and Chrome do not lag. It could be something other than just plugins that is causing the problem.

Firefox appears a bit unreliable as far as showing your plugins. In my case, for a good while it showed only Java as the only plugin. Then, all of a sudden one day it also showed a bunch of others.

I disabled them all from within Firefox Settings, but it still lags. Only safe mode helps. When starting up the safe mode, I do not have to check the "disable plugins" box to ged rid of the problem. It is enough to just start in "vanilla" safe mode (with none of the four options checked). The problem goes away regardless. But when I start in normal mode it does not seem to help whatever plugins I disable.

It would seem that safe mode disables something other than than the plugins, and that it is this "other" that is causing the problems, but I have tried to Google this topic and have not found anything.

I know that with browsers there are different interpretations of the web standards. Could it be that Firefox (and SeaMonkey) use some other interpretation than IE and Chrome of some elemnets of the new Tasks page? I have only seens this lagging problem under the new Tasks tab - not on any other Toodlede pages, such as Forum, or any other sites. But in that case most Firefox users would have the problem, which does not seem to be the case. Big Mystery.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2011.
Folke X

• Folke X
Yes, Pele, that is my experience, too:

If the task does not have a "real" due date, do not put one in just for scheduling purposes. It gets very messy.

Instead, for inherently dateless tasks, I find it better to use some other available field for task sequencing - any field will do. In Toodledo I have come to use the Status field for this. (In other systems I have used Priority for this - most systems have at least that.)
Folke X

Posted Aug 09, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 09, 2011
@jmgraf:
I think you may be referring to "Importance". If you sort by Importance, you get the kind of granularity you are talking about. In Toodledo, Importance is a compound of Priority, Due date and Star.
Folke X

Posted Aug 08, 2011 in: quick search too far to the right?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 08, 2011
Wouldn't need to be nested, or be based on the current screen at all ... just a normal quick search from scratch. Why wouldn't you be able to that from anywhere?

It's nothing I need, though. I was just reflecting from a consistency point of view.

EDIT: Please forget my whole thought. I just realized that the other quick searches too are based on the current filtering (sub-selection) - they do not start from scratch. That makes it difficult to be consistent in the way I had thought - unless all quick searches would start from scratch, of course.

This message was edited Aug 08, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Aug 08, 2011 in: Filter folders from Hotlist?
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 08, 2011
Sure. When you design your hotlist (i.e. define a search which you save later under Search) you just exclude those particular folders from all the various dropdown menus.

Check it out some more, and come back if you have trouble defining a search.

In the predefined hotlist you cannot exclude folders.
Folke X

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: Removing the left side bar
  • Folke X
  • Posted: Aug 07, 2011
It certainly is important that TD is attractive, intuitive, powerful and easy to work with. I think Salgud and Max are both touching upon this fact, from two different and relevant perspectives.

Personally, just like Salgud and Max, I am very happy with Toodledo. I too like the new UI better than the old one, but even the old one did its job perfectly. The left side bar never was a concern for me at all in the new UI, but I noticed some people had immense problems with it, so I am happy that it was changed (although I keep it in the locked position at all times.)

More importantly, I have been wondering what new users think of Toodledo. And I have reflected upon the fact that once upon a time I looked at both Toodledo and RTM before going with Todoist. Why? And after giving up on Todoist I picked RTM, not Toodledo? Why? And now that I am with Toodledo I am wondering why on earth I didn't pick this in the first place. It has just about everything I need. (And it had all this even before it got the new improved UI).

I think Salgud is right in saying that Toodledo needs to be intuitive and appear similiar to other software. And I think Max is touching upon an important fact that in a to-do system some kinds of things are done more frequently than others. I actually think these two aspects go very much hand in hand. It is common sense. The things you need to do often should be quick and easy. Things you do more seldom can be one or two extra clicks away, and should not clutter the overview. So where does this take us:

Things we do all the time are:

- add and complete tasks
- switch between a limited number of hotlists or other favorite views
- make adjustments to tasks, for example add some more notes, and, perhaps the most frequent operation of all, I would think, adjust the pipeline position of dateless tasks (using Status or Priority or some other field).

Things we do more seldom are:

- find misplaced tasks, which may require unusual views or searches
- tweak our favorite views and searches and filters etc.
- reasses or reorganize our whole system and data

I personally feel that in the UI there are - and always have been, even in the old UI - an overwhelming number of variant views, most of which appear to be almost the same and which therefore give a lame overall impression. (I am thinking of all the "All Tasks viewed by X, Y ..."). This massive display of very simple views may obscure the fact (as it did for me) that Toodledo actually has:

a) a very powerful search mechanism. (Almost as powerful as RTM, and 10000 times easier to handle!). (This should be made more visible)

b) searches can be saved, i.e. you can create and resuse any kinds of favorite views you like. (Far from all systems can do that). (This should me made more visible)

c) the most powerful and flexible sorting and grouping mechanisms of any to-do system I have ever seen !!! (This should also be made more visible.)

In other words: the fact that with Toodledo you can have all the lists and views you ever need, properly sorted and categorized, should be more visible.

And why not throw in some very visible and easy buttons(?) for promoting/demoting tasks in the pipeline (Status or Priority)? And slicker "fewer-click" task adjustments in general (fromm usually, 3 clicks today to, say, one hover and one click?)? And click-selectable multi-edit (not just searchable)? And one-click switching between favorite views?

All this would demonstrate a focus both on easy day-to-day use and powerfully customized setup opportunities.

I think it might be worth the effort to go over the UI again at some stage with all these things in mind - not so much for people like me now - because I know now where to look and how to handle it, but perhaps more for potential newcomers. I missed all of the important points when I first looked at Toodledo, and I am afraid I might well have overlooked them even with the new pretty UI of today.

But I am very happy here - I just want to help.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Folke X

Posted Aug 07, 2011 in: quick search too far to the right?
  • Folke X
@Purveyor

You're absolutely right. I just checked.

I am almost always in Search mode - just one click away from my favorite hotlists and other favorite views (i.e. my other saved searches).

That's why I did not see a Quick Search box. Wouldn't the Quick Search box be equally relevant to have direct access to even if you happen to be looking at a saved search?
Folke X

• Folke X
Still can't see it. Does it need to be enabled or something?
Folke X

• Folke X
Quick Add I know about. Is that what they are talking about here?

Maybe I took the term "Quick Search" to literally - but if there is a quick search also, I would not mind to know about it.
Folke X

• Folke X
Yes, if you have them all filled out anyway, then it won't matter. Agreed.

Not filling things out is not mainly a matter of keystrokes, though.

The main issue is the fact that things to be noted stand out much better if there is no clutter around them. Thus, if you adopt a principle such as interpreting an empty context as a standard context it then will be much easier to directly spot activities that have some more unusual context, such as "Away" or "Away specially equipped" etc, especially if the empty fields in that column are actually empty - as white as the background.

Obviously, you could also have a bunch of additional saved searches to find these special things, each one showing just a narrow selection of tasks, but I personally prefer to have a larger selection on the screen as long as I can maintain a good overview and locate the things I need to see with ease.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13      Next