Search results for "Posted by "
smatics

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 1
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2018
  • Score: 1
Posted by Ummagumma:

I don't care about any task history at all. If the info is worth saving, I save the notes / records in Onenote, which is specifically designed for long term storage and retrieval of information. Tasks are by nature short term records.

Everyone's different.

I use Evernote and keep a lot of historical data there that isn't relevant to the completion of the tasks, but I also like to be able to audit completed tasks occasionally, like those moments when I can't recall if I completed something or not. In my opinion, being able to toggle history on or off, or set it for a time frame to keep (at least a year) is useful, because, as you say, everyone is different.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2018.
smatics

Posted Oct 28, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 8
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 28, 2018
  • Score: 8
Posted by dmos01:
I've been talking to Aaron over email about longer task histories. Apparently, the Silver subscribers he had been talking with prior to introducing the Standard plan "had talked about subtasks and searches to better organize, but hadn't found value in the task history." I gave him my use case and he took it back to the team.

This is honestly hard to fathom. I can't imagine ANY user not caring about having "at least" a year of completed task history. What an odd thing to try and differentiate price points with. I could understand the free plan not offering any history, but for a paid plan to exclude at least a year is utterly baffling.
smatics

Posted Oct 25, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 2
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 25, 2018
  • Score: 2
I've been using Todoist (I went ahead and paid for the premium version) for about a week now and I have to say I am very impressed with the way it works. I don't use start dates - my workflow is creating a bunch of tasks daily, mainly from meetings and emails - and the Todoist InBox works great for just throwing tasks in there, so I can go through them later when I have time and add dates, associate with a project, add notes (you can add multiple notes and attachments to tasks) and then move on. I can even add tasks from my Google home or the Google assistant as I have linked that via IFTTT.

Their repeating tasks seem to be just as flexible as ToodleDo, and the searches are fast and accurate so far. The Android app is stellar, and I really like the Chrome extension.

Also, their privacy policy is very straightforward and they encrypt all user data: https://todoist.com/privacy

I'm not meaning to shill for Todoist, but to Ummagumma's point - unless there is something particular holding you to ToodleDo, like start dates, it's hard to justify such a steep price difference.
smatics

Posted Oct 24, 2018 in: New Privacy Policy: Advertisements
Score: 0
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 24, 2018
  • Score: 0
Crap, I've moved everything over to Todoist, but haven't deleted my data yet...

Thanks for finding this!
smatics

Posted Oct 23, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
Score: 6
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 23, 2018
  • Score: 6
Not to rain on your parade, Aaron, but you have effectively eliminated the Silver plan, renamed and increased the Gold plan's price by a fair margin, and introduced a "cheap" plan (that is actually $16 more than the previous Silver plan) that will likely not work for too many people. One week of history seems an odd differentiator as I am sure it costs basically nothing to keep this data available for longer spans of time. (Maybe this is supposed to be "1 Year"?)

The market reality is that competitors offer plans that are $7 less than your "Standard" plan but have the majority of the features and then some of the "Plus" plan, plus excellent mobile apps today.

This arrangement "may" look better to previous Gold subscribers - you mentioned that you spoke to some of them on the phone, so I assume that this is where you see the sweet spot for customer retention. It's an interesting strategy for sure, and I hope it works out.
smatics

• smatics
  • Posted: Oct 21, 2018
Posted by pawelkaleta:
Posted by smatics:
Which makes no sense unless they are keeping the credit card numbers on file and plan to run them. I don't see any way to check that, however.

Jake always claimed they don't store credit card details, examples below. However, it would be good to simply have that 'Cancel' button...

Let's hope the new owners carry that policy forward. Several people on this thread have asked and there has been no response from Aaron. Jake hasn't posted since July 13th, so I think he's probably out of the picture now.

Not really a big deal, we could always contest a charge, and it is very unlikely they have credit card numbers on file. Probably warrants a monthly check of the statements for a while...
smatics

• smatics
  • Posted: Oct 21, 2018
Posted by Ummagumma:
I submitted a support ticket on Friday, no reply so far.

It does seem that the auto renewal option is no longer available, that’s why my account says “expires on” and not “auto renews on”.

That is what mine says also, but I swear that the text below that has been changed from something like "Yearly plans auto-renew" to now:
"The yearly subscription will automatically charge you each year to maintain your subscription, but you can cancel at any time."

Which makes no sense unless they are keeping the credit card numbers on file and plan to run them. I don't see any way to check that, however.
smatics

• smatics
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2018
Posted by J.O.D.:
I am now (for testing) transfering my tasks from Toodledo to Todoist via CSV. It requires some work, but it is possible.

Hardest thing I found was dealing with the notes, which I ended up just manually transferring over - everything else mapped very well.

Really liking the way notes are handled (you can have multiple notes per task, which is why it doesn't map cleanly to ToodleDo's CSV), as well as the way attachment can be dragged and dropped onto tasks. The Chrome extension is also very useful for a quick glance at the day or project view.
smatics

Score: 4
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2018
  • Score: 4
I have to say that all of this incompetency with not seeing a way to cancel my recurring Silver subscription, them posting the new prices for new users even though they indicated it would be effective January 1st, changing the feature set in between email announcement batches, and just the arrogant way all of this has suddenly come about - my confidence in this new ownership team to make all this work is gone.

My silver subscription still has a few months left on it. Yesterday, I signed up to Todoist Premium (through Google Play) for about $29 and in about 2 hours I transitioned most of my projects over using their CSV import. Todoist has a 30 day money back policy if you decide to cancel, but so far, the web interface is really good (not quite as functional as ToodleDo, but better in some ways) and the mobile app for Android is leagues ahead of the ToodleDo app.

I'm going to use both systems over the next couple of weeks and see where it goes, and then decide if I will just purge everything from ToodleDo before my subscription ends.

As a long time subscriber I am sad, but I have to say that some of the new functionality I'm seeing in the competition is rather exciting.
smatics

• smatics
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2018
Posted by Chardar Fuxus:
Here is a survey I sent out to IQTELL users before it shut down. 90% of those users were willing to pay over over $60/ year.

Based on the survey they would have had:
63% retention at $180/yr
39% retention at $240/yr

If these same stats ring true with this platform, they stand to substantially increase their revenues while decreasing their low pay/no pay customers which decreases the variable expenses attached to each of those users.

So, to dive into your survey a little bit:

- I think by and large, this survey explains the demise of IQTell perfectly. I suspect that at the end there were probably only a few hundred people who really cared about a very niche productivity platform that had an extremely steep learning curve. If all 126 people in your survey had been willing to pay $500 per year (which, to be honest, is ridiculous, but I'll play along) then you are talking about $63,000 dollars. Hell, let's quadruple that and make it $252,000. That barely pays for 2 competent engineers.

- Apps like ToodleDo, IQTell, etc. absolutely need to find a way to achieve a mass of users, and this is a very difficult balance of determining the feature to price ratio that is acceptable in the market, and then making sure you are competitive with better know competitors, while bringing in enough revenue to pay the bills. Todoist, apparently, had 5 million users in 2015. I doubt ToodleDo has anywhere near that number of free or paid users.

- You are saying that ToodleDo is trying to purge themselves of free or low pay users. If they do that, then they'll be left with maybe a few thousand users, and then close like IQTell did, because that won't be enough to keep the lights on.
smatics

Score: 3
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 18, 2018
  • Score: 3
Posted by Chardar Fuxus:
What a bunch of babies. Seriously $90 a year? You're complaining about that? What did you spend on starbucks, sodas, beer, wine last year? How about other BS you don't really need? Go look at your bank or CC statement. I'm pretty sure you can come up with a few more bucks to pay for this service.

Having been a dedicated IQTELL user for many years, I could tell you if this place were shutting down, you would be begging to pay more money to keep it open. If you wanna leave, do so.

I made this some time ago when IQTELL was shutting down the first time. 100's of people help me put this list together. Toodledo is one of the, if not BEST task managers out there. So yeah, you're gonna have to start paying for it.

If you feel that ToodleDo is worth $90 per year, then good for you. Everyone puts a different value on the tools they use.

Funny that you mention IQTELL - I was also a very early user of that service, and thought it could potentially be the ultimate productivity tool. I had a similar reaction to what is happening here when IQTELL announced their way too high pricing (in my opinion) for the service when it came out of beta. I thought a better strategy for them would have been to offer a reasonable plan that would increase the number of users and allow them to build a successful business. Instead, they had the arrogance to assume that all of their beta users would absorb a cost that was way more than the market would bear. A couple of years later, they unceremoniously shut down. Obviously, their strategy was flawed, and I see that same level of arrogance here, and I suspect this will bring about the same end result.
smatics

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Task notes disappearing on 1st Jan?
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2018
Posted by Adrien Beau:
I have not received this email (maybe because I have let my subscription lapse). I would be glad if someone could share the image of the new plans, as I am currently inching back to Toodledo, and need to know what lies ahead.

Try this:

https://postimg.cc/MXb45XgR
smatics

• smatics
Posted by Adrien Beau:
When was the last time you looked at them? I was subscribed for one year in 2014, and fled when their redesign landed. It looked nice, but with only five or six tasks per screen, it was quite inefficient in actual use. Looking at current screenshots, this does not seem to have changed. The lack of data backup and export was also quite bad, have they improved this?

To be clear, I haven't settled on ToDoist yet, and I am going to try a few different ones (TickTick and Wunderlist) to see how they compare.

This article provides some compelling reasons why ToDoist may be worth looking at:
https://productivityist.com/why-todoist/

Backups seem to be fine:
https://get.todoist.help/hc/en-us/articles/115001799989

Integrations - this surprised me, where they've gotten to since I last looked:
https://todoist.com/integrations

I'm not seeing the UI issues you mentioned, but maybe that will be something that becomes more clear after I use it more.
smatics

Score: 2
  • smatics
  • Score: 2
Posted by SyneRyder:

For me, the main pricing irritation is that the Individual plan has only 1 year of task history. If it had unlimited task history, I could downgrade from Gold to Individual, and then it would only be a 2x price hike for me. I don't use Toodledo as a business & don't need the collaboration features or file uploads, but I do like the peace of mind of unlimited history (and being able to do statistics on that task history).

This has been an irritation of mine for some time now. Maintaining a full history cannot be that cumbersome, data retention wise, and at least before an upgrade to Gold would at least "give" you that capability. Now, there is no way for me to justify such an upgrade to "Business" when I don't use a quarter of the other features in the product anyway.

I'm also very concerned about the viability of ToodleDo as a company. Such a drastic price increase smells like desperation and trying to justify it by saying "We need to hire engineers" is really concerning.

One thing this has done has made me look at alternatives, and I am pleasantly surprised how far competitors like ToDoist has come since I last looked at them, and for less than half the price of ToodleDo's new individual plan. Their mobile apps look really nice.
smatics

• smatics
  • Posted: Oct 16, 2018
Here was my response to Aaron's email. I would suggest that anyone who feels this way let them know what we think.

Hi Aaron,

Wow! That is a massive price increase, and I believe this will be the death knell for ToodleDo.

I've been a paid subscriber to ToodleDo for many years, and even though I thought the price increase for Silver from $15 to $20 a couple of years ago put ToodleDo, which after all is "just" a To-Do app, with very poor mobile apps, nearly at the "priced too high" point. Now, you announce a massive 3-fold price increase for silver users to $60 per year???

I suspect that you will experience a mass exodus for this product. I will certainly move to something else after my current subscription runs out.

Best of luck to you.
smatics

• smatics
  • Posted: Feb 28, 2017
I have several to-do's that were set to repeat monthly, on the 29th, 30th or 31st of each month.

I noticed that this month all of these rolled over to March 29th, 30th or 31st, skipping February completely. I have never noticed this in years past in ToodleDo.

Shouldn't these roll over to repeat on the "last" day of the month, if there is not a day in that month that matches the 29th, 30th or 31st? Is this perhaps a bug?
smatics

Score: -1
  • smatics
  • Posted: Jan 20, 2016
  • Score: -1
I would like to add my vote to giving users the option to open links in a new tab as opposed to the current tab. In my opinion, this should be the default as is the case with just about every web interface of this type.

This one seems to have been on the list for quite a long time...
smatics

Posted Oct 15, 2015 in: Is a Chrome Extension on the roadmap?
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 15, 2015
I consider Toodledo to be a better product than Todoist. However, Todoist has an excellent Chrome Extension for quickly viewing tasks while in any tab.

Are the any plans to add this functionality to Toodledo?

Thanks
smatics

Posted Oct 19, 2014 in: Toodledo Redesign Plans
  • smatics
  • Posted: Oct 19, 2014
4 Year premium subscriber here.

I am glad to hear that the UI will get some attention. I mainly use the web interface, which works fairly well, but I would like t see a better date picker and a calendar view.

I just purchased a Chrome Book and am now using this device for most of my online work. I would like to see ToodleDo develop an official Chrome App that could function offline.

One last thing - please do something about the embarrassing "Warning" that nearly everyone who uses Chrome sees at the top of the browser. None of my plugins are interfering with ToodleDo, so I am not sure why I see this. Chrome is now the leading browser used, so it would be nice to see this cleaned up.

Thanks!
smatics

Posted Aug 15, 2012 in: dropbox
  • smatics
  • Posted: Aug 15, 2012
I use TaskUnifier (free) and the ToodleDo plugin (<$10) and set it up to store the data files in DropBox. This way I can use TaskUnifier on other machines, accessing these data files (not at the same time, though!) in DropBox.

A couple of caveats - The data files will not be synced by DropBox while TaskUnifier is open, so make sure you close the application and wait a few seconds for syncing to complete. Don't let your computer sleep or shut down without closing TaskUnifier and letting it sync or you may lose data. Make sure that you set TaskUnifier to do regular backups.
Skip to Page:  1   2      Next