ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
GSP1963

Posted Aug 14, 2019 in: Moving On: Final Post
Score: 5
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Aug 14, 2019
  • Score: 5
Just a quick farewell to all here. I've been a Toodledo user for well over a decade (probably something like 15 years). I've lost confidence in the direction of the product with the new ownership. What I've seen strikes me as dysfunctional; I hope the team gets its act together, but I'm not hopeful and certainly not hopeful enough to stay onboard.

After evaluating a few options, I've gone with Remember the Milk. Checking back on these forums has been a regular habit of mine, but it's kind of a quirk at this point and is no longer productive. After posting this I'll be deleting my Toodledo data, my Toodledo account, and all my links and shortcuts to the Toodledo site. In short, I'm moving on and won't be looking back.

Best of luck to all of you.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2019.
GSP1963

Posted Aug 11, 2019 in: What has changed in the last year?
Score: 1
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Aug 11, 2019
  • Score: 1
Ummm... there's a lot of new marketing prose online. Oh, and a new automatic repeat task bug that's cropped up and makes the product unreliable for many users, so there's that.

And... well, that's about it, really.
GSP1963

Posted Aug 11, 2019 in: Dangerous Bug
Score: 0
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Aug 11, 2019
  • Score: 0
So am I correct in thinking this nasty bug, first reported in May, still hasn't been fixed?
GSP1963

Posted Jun 09, 2019 in: Very quiet here and No News
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Jun 09, 2019
For what it's worth, I've been looking at task software for individuals (as opposed to teams). The two leading contenders, for me at least, are Remember the Milk and Amazing Marvin. Both are outstanding.

Remember the Milk. This is a straightforward design with no surprises. It's effective and well-built: If you're looking for software that gives you a clear presentation of your data, with a modicum of customizability, this could well be it. The developers are active and engaged with the users. For most individual users who've used and enjoyed Toodledo in the past, this would be a good choice. The RTM Pro account is $40/year.
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/

Amazing Marvin. I just recently found Marvin and I'm glad I did. It's the most unusual of all the apps I've looked at. The designers have created a modular app, which allows users to turn on and off components (they call them "strategies") for managing your tasks. Some of the strategies are as simple as turning on or off task notes; others are as comprehensive as blocking work out on a weekly calendar by category and displaying the tasks according to which time block you are currently in. As with Remember the Milk, the developers are engaged and constantly improving their product. If you're looking for a fresh approach to managing your tasks that may take your productivity up a notch, Marvin might be it. Marvin offers a free, one-month trial. After that it's $96/year (or $12/month).
https://amazingmarvin.com/

This message was edited Jun 09, 2019.
GSP1963

Posted Jun 01, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
Score: 2
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Jun 01, 2019
  • Score: 2
@cjbg: This is the first time I've heard of Amazing Marvin. I just looked over their website and I'm favorably impressed. I like their design philosophy. This is the first todo list manager I've seen in a long time that seems significantly better than the competition. I like the procrastination indicators and the weekly time-blocking features, in particular.

The Marvin team seems to be engaged and very active in developing the application. It looks like a great team.

Currently, I'm using the free version of Remember the Milk. An RTM Pro account costs $40/year. I see that Marvin costs $96/year (or $12/month). I'll give the 30-day free trial of Marvin a try to see if it's worth it to me to pay the higher price. Similar to what you've stated, if a task manager can genuinely take my productivity up a notch or two long-term, paying another $5/month or so is not an issue. (I've already made the decision to move on from Toodledo, sadly.)

Thanks for the tip.

This message was edited Jun 01, 2019.
GSP1963

Posted May 18, 2019 in: Dangerous Bug
Score: 4
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: May 18, 2019
  • Score: 4
Well, I'm glad the Toodledo staff are monitoring the forums and jumping right on this post titled "Dangerous Bug." /sarcasm
GSP1963

Posted May 07, 2019 in: Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo.
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: May 07, 2019
@AA:

You wrote: "I really hope I can stay with Toodledo after 9 years. But if not, RTM it is."

I've been with Toodledo over 10 years and I think the writing on the wall here is pretty clear. My Toodledo subscription expires in 5 days and I won't be renewing. In the next day or two, I'll be subscribing to Remember the Milk. That app's feature set is excellent and I get good vibes from the people running it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
GSP1963

Posted May 05, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: May 05, 2019
@jzamoras

You wrote: "can ticktick display indented subtasks like toodledo?"

Sort of. TickTick's subtasks aren't as robust as Toodledo's or Remember the Milk's. TickTick's subtasks are more like checklist items that you attach to a task. Each checklist can have a reminder associated with it, but as far as I can see, they don't have the full functionality of the tasks themselves. And I don't see any way that subtasks can be converted directly into tasks. To see the subtasks on TickTick's web version, you have to select the task and view its details in a side panel. On the mobile version, you have to touch on the task, which brings up its details, including the subtasks (which appear in checklist format beneath the task description).

Thanks for the question. I hadn't noticed TickTick's limited subtask design until you asked. This actually nudges me a bit closer to Remember the Milk.

Note to anyone reading this who's looking for a Toodledo replacement: Check the "Pros/Cons of Alternatives to Toodledo" board in the Questions section of the forums. That's where you'll find the most helpful information.

This message was edited May 05, 2019.
GSP1963

Posted May 05, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: May 05, 2019
@Purveyor and @Duo:

Thanks for your comments. A brief update on my evaluation of todo apps follows. I should mention at the start that I am looking for a todo app for my own individual use -- not for team use -- and I like to use the same todo app for keeping track of both work and personal tasks.

1. Clickup. I took a look at this and found it a bit much for my needs. There was an awful lot going on designed for teams that I had no use for, so it didn't feel like a good fit. A minor example: I dislike seeing that every single task has been "assigned to myself" in every single view, despite the fact that I'm the only user and have turned off the team features. It's a waste of screen space and a distraction. Misgivings aside, I may take another look at some point and see if I have a different impression second time around.

2. Nirvana. Thanks for the info, Duo. I've used Nirvana off and on for a few years. I wasn't aware that it had effectively been abandoned, but you may indeed be right. Little seems to be happening in terms of new functionality over there and the $49 for forever deal is a bit worrisome, now that you bring my attention to it. I like this app, but your comments are making me wary. I don't want to leave one sinking ship, so to speak, only to get on another.

3. Remember the Milk. I've used this for awhile and found it fairly good. I like the active community of users who trade tips on how they use the app. The design is simple and logical. Some things struck me as awkward: I don't like having to click a checkbox on an item in order to access a menu that includes a button to click in order to mark an item as done. Also, completed tasks are not shown below your current list (a design I prefer), but are displayed in a separate view. I also am mildly bothered by the childish moo-cow logo and the inability of a product called "Remember the Milk" to create a good shopping list. Still, those are relatively minor complaints. The RTM development team seems to be active and doing good work and the Pro price of $40/year is on the high side, but not unreasonable.

4. TickTick. TickTick is very good and, at just $28/year, very affordable. The iPhone app is great. Most of the time, however, I prefer to work on the web and I have one major complaint of the web version. This may seem trivial to some, but the designers have made the completed tasks list appear in light-light-gray on white. The completed tasks are so light they are virtually illegible. (I've tried adjusting my monitor's brightness and contrast settings; doesn't help.) I really despise light-light-gray on white designs and I wish designers would exercise more common sense. I find TickTick's illegibility such a problem it may actually be a dealbreaker for me.

UPDATE on 5/5/2019: Researching Jzamoras's question below, I found that TickTick's subtask functionality is more limited than Toodledo, ClickUp, Nirvana, or Remember the Milk.

TLDR: I like Nirvana, but Duo's comments have me concerned. Remember the Milk seems to have the best combination of good features, a not unreasonable price, and developers and owners who are on the ball. Ergo, leaning toward RTM.

This message was edited May 05, 2019.
GSP1963

Posted May 02, 2019 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: May 02, 2019
Alas, I'm headed for the door also. I've been a user of Toodledo for well over 10 years (with a few interruptions). My Silver subscription expires in 10 days and I won't be renewing. The main reason I'm leaving isn't just the price increase: I don't have confidence in the new ownership. A dramatic price increase with little or no enhancements to the software just makes this look like a price gouge. From a technical perspective, I haven't seen any work in the past several months that suggests this team can deliver enhancements that would justify the cost.

Perhaps this was an anomaly and this new team will do great going forward, but I won't be here to find out. You get just one chance to make a first impression, and this impression was terrible. An analogy that comes to mind is a new hire. If that new hire shows up to work 45 minutes late on the first day with an entitled attitude, it's possible he might work out long-term. But it's far more likely this is just an indication of many, many problems to come. Rather than cross my fingers and hope for the best, I'd opt to let him go and start fresh with another new hire who will start the job properly.

Looking at Nirvana, Remember the Milk, and TickTick.

This message was edited May 02, 2019.
GSP1963

Posted Dec 07, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: November 2018
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2018
Posted by Purveyor:
You're using the old version of Toodledo.

Gaah! I thought I had been on the new version, but apparently not. The switch fixed my issue with the End of Month function. Thanks!

My apologies to the Toodledo staff on this. User error strikes again.

This message was edited Dec 07, 2018.
GSP1963

Posted Dec 07, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: November 2018
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Dec 07, 2018
Posted by Purveyor:
At the bottom of the Repeat field there's "End of Month" with a horizontal band of white space.

I still can't make heads or tails of this. I can't see any option to repeat on the end of the month -- nothing found under "Simple options," nothing found under "Advanced options." Also, on the Help/FAQ pages, there's no mention at all of the feature; in fact, the help still warns users choosing the 31st will cause the task to be skipped on months with fewer days.

Honestly, these are two small enhancements. I don't think either of them have been executed well. The first one isn't automatic, as the CEO described it. The second one I can't even find. I'm not encouraged.
GSP1963

Posted Dec 06, 2018 in: Toodledo Update: November 2018
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Dec 06, 2018
Posted by cj:
Don't see this settings option.
All I see is "Overdue Tasks Alert"
which doesn't seem like an option for rolling over tasks ...

I agree with CJ. I was looking for this functionality yesterday and it isn't clear to me how, where, or even if it's been added.

Any help (from Toodledo staff or other users) would be appreciated. Thanks.

This message was edited Dec 06, 2018.
GSP1963

Posted Nov 04, 2018 in: Feature Roadmap and New Pricing Plans
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Nov 04, 2018
For those looking at other task management software in light of the Toodledo changes, be sure to give Nirvana a look. I've used it for a few years and found it excellent. It does some things better than Toodledo; on the other hand, it's not quite as customizable. They have a web app and a nice mobile app, both included in the one subscription. The Nirvana Pro plan costs $30/year.

If I leave Toodledo in the near future, this will almost certainly be the app I go to.

Main website: https://nirvanahq.com/

Good video showing task attributes: https://youtu.be/5dkvb3XJ4Sg

This message was edited Nov 04, 2018.
GSP1963

Posted Oct 22, 2018 in: Future Plans
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Oct 22, 2018
Posted by dosmandan:
Wanted to make sure people aren't caught off guard if they assume their account will not renew automatically, as had been the previous standard.

Thanks for the information; very helpful and I appreciate it.
GSP1963

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: Future Plans
Score: 3
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2018
  • Score: 3
As many others have stated, this price increase is steep. Very steep. I'm a Silver user. My subscription will jump from $20/year to $60. Had the price increased to $30/year or even $45/year, I probably wouldn't be writing this comment. But $60?!

Mind you, I'm not saying "No" just yet; I love this app and don't want to leave it. But my renewal is definitely an open question at this point. As a point of reference, Nirvana, which I've used before and liked, costs $30/year for their Pro subscription.
GSP1963

Posted Oct 17, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Oct 17, 2018
Posted by andy_1339337623:

This sort of nonsense drives me nuts. The Identity Politics juggernaut will rumble on, seemingly unopposed, until we are all beaten into a pulp of mediocrity and uniformity, too scared to speak in case we betray our humanity. It’s the new Stalinism. George Orwell was so prescient.

Well, I guess you must be positively triggered, then, by the following video by one of Toodledo's chief competitors, Nirvana, which features several people of color.

https://youtu.be/qFCFG_-L5Qs

I continue to be stunned by the indignation and rhetoric ("the new Stalinism"? really?) directed at my suggestion that a person of color be included in the Toodledo advertising. This is 2018, guys. This isn't, or shouldn't be, controversial.

The IT department I work in has an African-American woman as the project lead, about one-third of my coworkers are female, and about one-third of them are of Asian descent (Indian and Filipino, mostly). If you've got an ad that features four cartoon users, why wouldn't you choose to make one of them a woman or a person of color? It costs not a penny more than having the same bearded White male appear four times.

I really don't get the business logic behind those who are offended by the suggestion.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2018.
GSP1963

Posted Sep 24, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
Score: -1
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Sep 24, 2018
  • Score: -1
Posted by Ummagumma:
Your condescending and subtly racist and sexist remark had nothing to do with diversity. Diversity is about acceptance of everyone, not claiming that a picture of a random person should not be used based on their race or gender.

Had someone objected to the webpage designers using a picture of a black woman, it would be sexist and racist. So is you objecting to the depiction of a white man. Diversity is not achieved by effectively demanding discrimination of a majority group.

And since you are the one who had to inject race and gender wars into what used to be a polite friendly forum, the problem is certainly yours. The rest of us were doing just fine being engaged in a productive, respectful discussion.

I will not respond to any more posts related to this, as I don't want things to deteriorate any further. I will let you have the last word.

Peace.

Well, thanks for the last word. I appreciate it.

Let's take a look at what you've directed my way: "I surely hope you’re not a teacher. I wouldn’t want you teaching my children"; "divisive attitude"; "condescending, subtly racist, and sexist"; "had to inject race and gender wars."

Wow: That's a lot of disparaging rhetoric. I must've done something pretty awful.

What exactly did I do? I suggested that one of the four images on the homepage of a caucasian male should be swapped out for a woman or a person of color to give the homepage some diversity. This isn't something that only I had picked up on; another user, Srewolf, had already made a comment to the same effect.

I don't see anything unreasonable or offensive in what I've suggested and certainly nothing to merit the responses I've gotten from you.

Thanks.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2018.
GSP1963

Posted Sep 23, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
Score: -2
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Sep 23, 2018
  • Score: -2
This post has been hidden because of negative votes. Click to reveal

This message was edited Sep 23, 2018.
GSP1963

Posted Sep 23, 2018 in: New Homepage - feedback welcomed!
  • GSP1963
  • Posted: Sep 23, 2018

This message was edited Sep 23, 2018.
Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next