ForumsSearch

Search results for "Posted by "
Peter

Posted Jul 26, 2011 in: Toodledo Redesign - July 2011
Score: 0
  • Peter
  • Posted: Jul 26, 2011
  • Score: 0
Redesign is a major improvement - congratulations. The best feature is moving the tabs from the top to the left sidebar. Massive improvement.
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Mar 07, 2011
I don't know of any such notification that exists right now ... a full-blown client would seem to be the only option. ToodleDo is correct in that it is theoretically possible to build a Growl client that would work as long as you are connected to the Internet.
Peter

Posted Nov 22, 2010 in: 2do for iPhone question
  • Peter
  • Posted: Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for the detailed reply, it sounds like it'll do it all.
Peter

Posted Nov 21, 2010 in: 2do for iPhone question
  • Peter
  • Posted: Nov 21, 2010
Cool, thanks. And for #1 I actually meant to say "or" for the filters (e.g. "anything starred OR due soon")...not sure if this works too?
Peter

Posted Nov 21, 2010 in: 2do for iPhone question
  • Peter
  • Posted: Nov 21, 2010
Howdy,

I'm considering 2Do for iPhone and was wondering if

(1) Their saved searches allow you to do things like filter for starred as well as due soon (in an "and" fashion to create a sort of hotlist)

(2) It syncs the alarms with toodledo correctly (or will soon) like Appigo's ToDo, or if it uses meta-data in the notes field

(3) If the sync is asynchronous like ToodleDo's iPhone app or modal (like the Appigo ToDo app) and if it can be set to update on edit. This seems like such an obvious feature for any app that syncs, it's not clear to me why they won't all do it.

I'd still like the web app to be functional so I need to respect the fields that exist in ToodleDo as much as possible.

Cheers,
Pete
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Oct 12, 2010
There is definitely a lot of interest in an offline app, which answered my topic post! There have been a number of great suggestions by folks who filled in the survey as well. My development of the app is on hold though, due to lack of time. I've been watching other similar efforts though, and have much more detail in a blog post I just wrote. Details here:

http://peter.mangiafico.org/toodledo-desktop-application-update/
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Jun 03, 2010
1. Mike, you are right, and it's a really tough call. I agree that non Mac UIs turn me off too. I discarded Adobe Air and Java for those reasons. RealBasic is a bit different as it actually compiles using native UI widgets to each platform. Currently it is still using the Carbon toolkit for Mac, although they are currently updating it to Cocoa (support for Cocoa is in beta). It's not perfect, and will never match Objective-C and Cocoa - but it's not bad. On the PC side, it will not match some of the 3rd party toolkits like Telerik, or even some of the advanced controls in .Net, but again, it's not bad.

I don't think the business decision is clear cut - certainly some Mac and Windows users will be turned off, but my suspicion is that if we do it right, the majority will not know the difference (that would be my goal) even if it is not as perfectly Mac like as Things, for example.

2. We definitely do not intend to simply wrap a website UI in a desktop application - that would not be a good solution.

3. David, I am also surprised that Things/OmniFocus/The Hit List/other apps have not simply built their own connectors to ToodleDo. Having a backup in the cloud, along with access via the Web is such a good selling point for their own apps, and it would cost them only the time to build the connector. Maybe it'll happen at some point.

This message was edited Jun 03, 2010.
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: May 14, 2010
And, oh yes, I forgot. Another motivator for us is full synchronization to ToodleDo with matching features -- not another to do app that happens to use ToodleDo for offline storage. As you said, you definitely do not want data getting munged in the sync due to feature mismatch. Everything above and beyond that core feature set is extra.
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: May 14, 2010
You've hit upon the three big advantages of a desktop application, in order of importance to me:

* Offline access - this is the primary motivator...for when you just don't (gasp) have Internet access, but want to access and update your list
* Better integration - for things like dock/taskbar reminders; links to email applications; quick task entry from the desktop; etc.... the list could get quite long but the key is that once you leave the web browser sandbox, you can start doing some interesting things
* Better interface - actually the least important in my opinion, although it is true the Toodledo web interface could use some tuneups and a desktop application can correct for some of this. It will also be a faster interface since there is no network latency involved. But the truth is that UI can be quite subjective -- what one person loves, another hates. For me, the key is simplicity. If anyone ever has to create a task called "figure out how to use my task manager", that is a big fail.
Peter

Score: 2
  • Peter
  • Posted: Apr 02, 2010
  • Score: 2
Update: I have started working on the app using a cross-platform development tool, so it would be a Windows and a Mac version. But it is slow going so far (mostly due to my own over-commitments to other projects, fatherhood, etc) rather than to any inherent difficulty in the coding itself. If there are any other developers out there who'd like to collaborate to speed things up, let me know. I continue to be surprised that other software companies with more resources that I are not jumping to fill in this void.
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2009
And oh yes, I also like trial versions so you can decide without any commitment, so if I were to develop an app, there would definitely be a trial. It's one of the downsides of the iPhone app system, no trials (unless you release two separate apps).
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Dec 30, 2009
Right now it's a fairly even split between Mac and Windows, with a slight tip towards Windows. Price point around $20-$25 seems to be right, which would be consistent with a straightforward mapping to ToodleDo without getting too fancy, and then offering a more advanced version with fancier features later. I'll collect some more data and then see where to go. But I agree that having an offline capable desktop app would be really nice, since syncing to the cloud is really useful and the iPhone app is also very nice - it really completes the picture.
Peter

Posted Dec 23, 2009 in: Integration with Evernote?
  • Peter
  • Posted: Dec 23, 2009
borked again...sorry :/ not sure what's wrong

just head to the top level and look for the "What's the interest in a full desktop client for toodledo" post
Peter

• Peter
Peter

• Peter
I'm thinking about writing a desktop client for ToodleDo for either Mac or Windows or both, and the idea of directly integrating Evernote also came to me. There is no reason it couldn't be done in a nice way on the desktop since both services have APIs. I haven't explored the Evernote API in detail, but Mac applications like Curio already have some form of integration with Evernote. See this thread (there is a survey that I started to gauge interest in a desktop app):

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/4261/0/whats-the-interest-in-a-full-desktop-client-for-toodledo.htm l
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Dec 19, 2009
Thanks to those that have responded. There is still a fairly even split between Mac and Windows, with some great suggestions. I am leaning more towards starting the Mac version first, since TaskAngel is providing a Windows app (although it's still missing some important features right now). Plus...I use a Mac primarily, so there is a selfish reason in there too.

I concur with some of the respondents that keeping things as close to ToodleDo as possible makes sense to avoid any weird sync issues. I'm basically thinking of the ToodleDo iPhone app, but as a nice clean Mac desktop application, with things like growl/dock notifications.
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Dec 19, 2009
Thanks - so far there have been 10 responses evenly split between Mac and Windows. TaskAngel does look interesting too. I'm actually a bit surprised that other apps haven't tried to do this yet (I'm thinking of OmniFocus, Things, etc. adding optional sync to ToodleDo).
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Dec 18, 2009
I've been using ToodleDo for almost a year now after having given up on OmniFocus, and I am enjoying the experience, but I do miss the various advantages of a desktop app. I'm pondering writing one for either Mac or Windows (or maybe even both), but am not sure where to fit it into the already full work schedule - help us decide by taking a quick survey! If there is enough interest to warrant the time investment, we'll start working on one. I'm thinking of an interface like 'Things' (http://www.thingsapp.com) - nice and clean and uncluttered, and simple (e.g. one of my favorite ToodleDo features is the 'hotlist').

Survey link: http://www.cappuccinoware.com/node/2

Thanks!

- Pete
Peter

• Peter
  • Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Howdy,

Push notifications are working fine on my iPhone in terms of a message, but the sound alert only works about 10% of the time. Is this a known issue or is there some setting on my phone or account?

Thanks,
Peter