ForumsNewsTuesday Night Maintenance

Tuesday Night Maintenance
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 11, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Over the past few weeks we have been secretly preparing to switch over to a new database. Our old database served us well for almost 3 years, but it was time to upgrade. We worked very hard to make sure that the switch was as seamless as possible. We tested the new database extensively over the past few weeks and with careful planning, we were able to do the entire maintenance with only about 10 minutes of downtime. And it was a success.

Well….99% a success. For about 30 minutes after the switch there was one minor issue that we didn't anticipate. For some people who sort large lists by importance, Toodledo was not displaying the correct results due to a quirk in how the new database was doing certain math functions. We quickly discovered the problem and corrected it so it's now working properly. 100% !

The new database is super fast and will give us a lot of room to grow in the future. In addition, it will enable us to do some new things that we couldn't do before. For example: In the near future it will be possible to put Emoji characters inside your tasks and notes, which was technically impossible with our old database. The new database also sorts non-english characters more accurately, so you may notice that right away if you use non-english characters.

Please let us know if you notice anything unusual.
Pascal Zweipfenning

It now takes more than 10 seconds to load the 'All tasks' list with 420 tasks in it. That is not my idea about fast.

Best regards,

Pascal.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The speed of the database does not really allow pages to load quicker. What it does is allow more pages by more customers to load at the same time. We are also planning to upgrade our web servers which will help with speed. There are also some things outside of our control (your internet connection, other applications you are running that are using the internet, etc) that could cause the page to load slower than typical.
coolexplorer

Posted: Mar 12, 2015
Thanks Jake, Faster is always Better. Emojis (in future) may be an interesting addition, particularly if you can sort by emoji. ;)
Chris

The sorting of special characters that I add in order to group my saved searches (similar to the well-known usage of the @ character under classic GTD; sadly necessary because there's no way of organising saved searches into folders or of manually re-ordering them) seems to be different today than previously, messing my list of searches up. Is that a result of this change? I really don't think people would mind if you told them in advance you were going to mess their workflow up rather than making 'secret preparations' to do so!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Part of the upgrade was to get our database to sort non-english characters properly so that alphabetically sorting would work correctly for people in other countries. As a side effect of this, if you were using symbols to trick Toodledo to sort things in certain ways, this may no longer work in the same way. What you can do is switch to using numbers instead, or experiment with other symbols to get the sorting the way you want it again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Chris

I wouldn't put it that way - more of a kludgey workaround to compensate for missing functionality. ;) Yep, I'll have to go through it all again, just a nuisance about which it would have been nice to have a little warning. Not the biggest of deals, just a task I could have done without, implemented in a less smooth manner than it needed to have been.

I do have a lot of apprehension over the upcoming big changes to Toodledo that you've hinted at, though.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.