ForumsNewsIntroducing the Ribbon

Introducing the Ribbon
GeeD

Posted: Aug 27, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Please make the panel that displays the e.g. Folder List resizanble - I can't read my folder titles.

Thanks,
G.
mjStallinger

Score: 3 Reference
I really like it!
Is there also an option to auto-collapse the ribbon on 'mouseleave'?
Regards,
Michael
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
We did not make the task note wider, but we did move the task section over to the right by a few pixels. On a 12" monitor this means that it may have pushed it slightly off the right side of the window, which makes horizontal scrolling necessary. You can resize the columns to make them fit on the window.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php#62

Also, we will be improving note editing and horizontal scrolling issues in a future update.
mikenwilliams

Score: 5 Reference
Posted by mjStallinger:
I really like it!
Is there also an option to auto-collapse the ribbon on 'mouseleave'?
Regards,
Michael

I'm with Michael and one or two other commenters who have requested the previous mouse-over (or hover) option for auto-expand and collapse. The ribbon is great; however, you previously offered a "hide-able" sidebar that would collapse after the mouse moved back to the tasks section. To me, that was preferable. I like and make extensive use of the sidebar/ribbon features, but the new extra clicking is a little annoying.

Perhaps an auto-expand and auto-collapse with mouse-over could be reimplemented with the new ribbon?

Again, overall the improvements are welcome ones. Thanks Toodledo team.

Mike
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are looking into the auto-expand thing to see if it will work.
Neal B

Score: 3 Reference
Generally I don't like cosmetic changes, as it seems things ALWAYS get broken and it seems that efficiency ALWAYS goes down. Unfortunately, this upgrade of Toodledo is right in line.

The Ribbon is clunky.

1) The black icon description is useful for 30 seconds and after that is horrible. When the Ribbon is expanded the black text covers the names of the items under it.

2) The collapsed Ribbon state is EXTREMELY POORLY IMPLEMENTED. This is because selecting an item does not return the Ribbon to the original desired collapsed state. Instead the collapse arrow must be selected <u>every single time</u>. It's like having a menu that doesn't hide itself. Come on, DOS programs from 25 years ago handled this kind of thing correctly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the contention that this adds more screen space is quite a stretch, as the only way the Ribbon is useful is to never collapse it.
2a) When the Ribbon is collapsed, mouse over the icon should show the items which can be clicked on without expanding the ribbon.
2b) Alternately -- and not as good as 2a -- if clicking on an item still shows Ribbon detail, then when an item is selected, the detail should hide, returning the Ribbon back to original collapsed state.
2c) Or when the mouse moves away from the Ribbon, detail the Ribbon detail should hide.

3) There should be a setting to completely hide the Ribbon icons, and then show them with a mouse to the left.

On another area, having a smaller font for sub-tasks is nice. What isn't nice is that the subtask font increases when there are no parent tasks in the list. There should at least be a setting to choose consistent sub-task font size.
main account (glo)

Posted by Jake:

I hope it does because I loved that feature.

I really like the way the ribbon has cleaned up the sidebar, but is there a way to rearrange the order on the ribbon? Before it wasn't such a big deal because everything was together at the top, but now that everything has been reduced to icons along the edge, I'd find it useful to be able to move the ones I use most to the top. For example, I never use the Main "My Tasks" but I do use Folders, Tags, and Search extensively.

I love the changes that you've been making to Toodledo, they are making it much easier to use it as a one-stop shop for our office!
VB777

Posted by Jake:

Why just not add another option to Account Settings > Tasks > Display Preferences: Task bar layout
with
Classic (old version)
Ribbon

?

That way if someone is not happy with how ribbon works for him he can opt out. This way it's much more preferable because we don't have to be hold hostages with an unusable interface while you keep improving it, which can take God knows how much until it works for everyone.

Thank you.
coolexplorer

Jake / Bridget, Great changes made towards the modernization of TD. Congrats!

2. Menu collapsing and expanding to allowing for maximum space for task info.
3. Pencil icon link that takes you to the relevant Organize list for editing.
3. Scrolling with heading fixed.

Would Like :
1. Auto collapsing of secondary (text) menu after selection of a task list.
2. The Title of the selected task list should be visible somewhere on the top left. Currently I have to repeatedly open the menu to check the list name, and often scroll down the list to see the title marked Bold. The title of the selected task list could perhaps be shown near the pencil icon for editing or as a small persistent pop-up. I realize it is difficult to do so in the frugal UI space, but it will really reduce time wastage and increase productivity.
3. Someway to easily differentiate sub-tasks at a glance (different font, color, check-box shape).

Best wishes
coolexplorer

Posted by c5000nc:
And yes, I could make the Task column wider if I close the left sidebar, but I use that sidebar frequently. A wider Task column would force me to use the bottom scroll bar to get to the right scroll bar.
Thanks.

Views differ, but I am overall happy with the direction of the UI changes, including use of icons and ease of scrolling.
The genuine irritation of loss of space and extra click involved can be resolved if the secondary text menu expands and collapses with scroll over. Jake is quite responsive, and I am sure he must already be working on it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are planning to allow the ribbon icons to be reordered.

We are planning to add a breadcrumb bar that will show you where you are without opening the sidebar.
coolexplorer

Posted by Bridget:
Posted by User1293033808:

Unfortunately, I have a minor vision problem and a friend has a major vision problem. The efforts we spent getting Toodledo so we could read it easily seem to be lost.

At Toodledo accessibility is important to us. If you are open to disclosing I would like to get some more information about your vision impairment and how to make our productivity system accessible regardless of disability. If you are not comfortable discussing this in the forums please feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] or make a support ticket.

Thanks,
:) Bridget

Bridget, I just love your response. Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have a prototype of the "auto-expanding sidebar when you hover" idea and we'd like some feedback from beta testers. If you want to become a beta tester and help us test this, please sign up here http://www.toodledo.com/info/beta.php
c5000nc

Posted by Jake:
We are planning to allow the ribbon icons to be reordered.

We are planning to add a breadcrumb bar that will show you where you are without opening the sidebar.

It would also be helpful to have a second Collapse arrow on the ribbon just below the icons, in addition to above them. Less distance to move the cursor with the arrow in two places.

Thanks.
jsteve

I just noticed the ribbon today. So far like it okay. Getting used to it. I do LIKE the increased real estate I have for the tasks themselves when the ribbon is collapsed. One thing I did like about the old format was that it was very clear as to when I was looking at "Starred" or "Hotlist" from Main. If I uncollapse the ribbon I can see which view I'm on but it's not as obvious being that it's only slightly bolder. So, is there anyway to make it obvious which view one is on when in Main?

Thanks for keeping up on UI improvements!

Cheers,
--jan
evolnej

Score: 2 Reference
Toodledo Team -

I just have to say how blown away by the improvements that have been made to this service. Toodledo has long been the most functional yet easy to use task manager on the market with a less than great UI. Your team has been improving this by leaps and bounds, first with the iPhone app, and now with this web update. I absolutely love the ribbon and the new colors and styling. In addition, Outlines, Lists, and Habits are incredible companion features that I didn't realize I needed until you offered them. All of these improvements and features have impressed me beyond belief.

Thank you for your hard work.
frenil75

Posted: Aug 28, 2015
With the new ribbon I have noticed three things:

1) In Chrome, I'm not able to right click on the ribbon icons to open in a new tab (which I used to do on the texts)

2) The note text area is only using 50% of the full screen width 1920x1080-screen and is not resizable. It wraps my notes so the are hard to read.

3) The side bar in searches is to narrow, it only shows 19 chars where 3 are your ... it has to be resizable.

Otherwise, I really like the new design!
Cheers!
Bridget K

Hey Toodledo Users, we have another survey for those who are interested in participating.

This survey directly pertains to the new ribbon navigation, as well as the experimental hover to collapse and expand functionality.

Toodledo Ribbon User Survey

*If you have not yet tested our new experimental hover to collapse and expand functionality you can check it out in our beta site. Sign up at http://www.toodledo.com/info/beta.php.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Bridget
thepaj

The beta ribbon behavior is a step in the right direction, with fewer clicks needed. I would like to be able to hide the whole ribbon thingy when not needed.
SES21

Posted by Bridget:
Hey Toodledo Users, we have another survey for those who are interested in participating.

This survey directly pertains to the new ribbon navigation, as well as the experimental hover to collapse and expand functionality.

Toodledo Ribbon User Survey

*If you have not yet tested our new experimental hover to collapse and expand functionality you can check it out in our beta site. Sign up at http://www.toodledo.com/info/beta.php.

Thanks in advance,

:)

Bridget

Took the survey. While trying to make new lines in the final comment section using Enter key, accidentally submitted my comments & the whole survey. The rest of that last comment was going to be:

As long as I'm wishing, I'd like to see hovering over a particular icon actually auto-expand to *that* section's menu where we could click on the particular choice within that view, e.g., in Main>All Tasks view, move cursor over Dates>auto-expand Dates menu>click on Today shows Dates-Today view>move cursor away>auto-collapse Ribbon. Might be too much work for devs but it's one less click every time for users!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.