ForumsNewsTasks Redesign (part 4)

Tasks Redesign (part 4)
pawelkaleta

Posted: Nov 11, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by Olivir2015:
The purpose of Quick add field is, IMO, to allow you just quickly inut the tasks you have in mind and forget it, také care of the parameters sometime later when you have time to do it.

True, but actually you can do exactly the same with Add Task, just type only the title and save without setting other parameters.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2015.
Adrien Beau

Score: -1 Reference
Posted by dave.erwin:
Why do we even need a "Add Task" button?

When adding a task, I always type it into the Quick Add Task field. Then it appears at the top of my list then I edit each field how ever I need to.

When adding a task, I always use the "Add Task" button. This way I can type all the fields at once without disruption. Why do we even need a Quick Add Task field?
Olivir2015

Indeed, I was just stating my mind, as I actually do not use Quick add:-) Besides - Quick ad=click+type+press enter, while Add=click+type+click on save. In fact, today I just have tried the Quick field and maybe I will continue using it. Maybe, because both being on my left, there is less reason for using it... So who knows:-)

Posted by pawelkaleta:
Posted by Olivir2015:
The purpose of Quick add field is, IMO, to allow you just quickly inut the tasks you have in mind and forget it, také care of the parameters sometime later when you have time to do it.

True, but actually you can do exactly the same with Add Task, just type only the title and save without setting other parameters.
dave.erwin

Posted: Nov 13, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Adrien Beau:
Posted by dave.erwin:

When adding a task, I always type it into the Quick Add Task field. Then it appears at the top of my list then I edit each field how ever I need to.

When adding a task, I always use the "Add Task" button. This way I can type all the fields at once without disruption. Why do we even need a Quick Add Task field?

The point of my post wasn't that we don't need an Add Task button. The point is that we don't need both buttons. Some people prefer one button, others prefer the other. I'd say ToodleDo should flip a coin and get rid of one of them. We'll all quickly adapt to the change and everyone will benefit by having less clutter in the UI.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 13, 2015
I use both, and can handle this amount of "clutter" in the UI.
c5000nc

Posted: Nov 17, 2015
Score: 3 Reference
REDUCED % OF SCREEN AVAILABLE FOR EDITING "NOTES" WITHIN TASKS:

Because the width of Notes in Edit mode was severely reduced, along with the various bars at the top, only about 50% of my screen is available to edit Notes.

This has become very frustrating when editing longer, more complicated notes of Tasks. I'm constantly scrolling up and down to see my work.

Reducing the % of the screen available to edit Notes was not a step forward.

Will we be given a higher % of our screen to work with when editing Notes within Tasks?

Thank you.
Christoph Dollis

Posted: Nov 18, 2015
Posted by c5000nc:
REDUCED % OF SCREEN AVAILABLE FOR EDITING "NOTES" WITHIN TASKS:

Because the width of Notes in Edit mode was severely reduced, along with the various bars at the top, only about 50% of my screen is available to edit Notes.

This has become very frustrating when editing longer, more complicated notes of Tasks. I'm constantly scrolling up and down to see my work.

Reducing the % of the screen available to edit Notes was not a step forward.

Will we be given a higher % of our screen to work with when editing Notes within Tasks?

Thank you.

Yes, this is a great point!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There have been a lot of studies that have shown that very wide blocks of text are difficult to read. This is because when your eye moves from the end of one line to the start of the next line it has to move a long way (eye fatigue) and can sometimes lose its place and take a while to find the right line to start reading again. This was exacerbated by our old format that allowed the note to be as wide as your list, even if this required horizontally scrolling back and forth, back and forth to read each line. This is why we made the note narrower, to improve readability. The note will be as tall as it needs to be to display the entire note. If you edit a task's note, the text box is 6 lines high. We felt that this was tall enough to allow editing and still provide some context so that you could see the tasks around it for reference. We may make the default size taller in the future, but in the meantime, in all web browsers except Internet Explorer, you can resize the note editing text box to be whatever size you want by dragging the bottom right corner of the box.
c5000nc

Posted by Jake:
There have been a lot of studies that have shown that very wide blocks of text are difficult to read. This is because when your eye moves from the end of one line to the start of the next line it has to move a long way (eye fatigue) and can sometimes lose its place and take a while to find the right line to start reading again. This was exacerbated by our old format that allowed the note to be as wide as your list, even if this required horizontally scrolling back and forth, back and forth to read each line. This is why we made the note narrower, to improve readability. The note will be as tall as it needs to be to display the entire note. If you edit a task's note, the text box is 6 lines high. We felt that this was tall enough to allow editing and still provide some context so that you could see the tasks around it for reference. We may make the default size taller in the future, but in the meantime, in all web browsers except Internet Explorer, you can resize the note editing text box to be whatever size you want by dragging the bottom right corner of the box.

Thank you for that extensive answer Jake. I understand that.

And that is useful info about being able to resize the Task note longer in all but IE. That does make it easier to work with in Chrome, etc.
main account (glo)

Posted by dave.erwin:

When adding a task, I always type it into the Quick Add Task field. Then it appears at the top of my list then I edit each field how ever I need to. It seems like the "Add Task" button does the same thing, just in a slightly different order. I'm all for giving people flexibility, but if the goal is to streamline the UI, it puzzles me why there would be two buttons/fields that do essentially the same thing.

But maybe there's a good reason for the "Add Task" button that I'm not aware of. FYI, I usually view my tasks in the main All Tasks view, not in saved searches or folders or whatnot. Maybe that's when it starts to make a difference.

I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify why they think both the Add Task and Quick Add Task buttons are necessary.

I use Add Task (not Quick Add) because I always fill out all the columns and with Add Task, you can tab over and it's faster. I can also stop in the middle of adding the task and open other programs or answer a phone call without worrying about the task getting lost among the 300+ tasks that we have at any one time. I also doesn't have to re-click on the Notes field if I open another program while editing it. Having both options doesn't bother me at all and neither takes up much real estate.
Salgud

Posted by calendar_1348624449:

I can also stop in the middle of adding the task and open other programs or answer a phone call without worrying about the task getting lost among the 300+ tasks that we have at any one time.

I've found a way to avoid losing a new task, after losing a few this same way. I have new tasks default to Due Date Today, so they automatically appear in my custom Hotlist, which among other things, shows any task Due today.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2015.
Barry-Jon

Posted: Nov 20, 2015
I've been appreciative of the new design changes generally and see everything is being freshened up and de-cluttered.

One oddity is the "Show Task Details" being hidden in a drop down but other show/hide options, which also use the closed/opened eye metaphor are grouped in another place. I guess these groups of controls were moved in different tranches, which might account for what seems to me to be a minor discrepancy, but on more than one occasion I've found myself confused by it because I remember the eye, but then forget that one of them is buried somewhere else.

Keep up the good work. I love Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We separated these two on purpose. The options in the Filter Menu (clicking the eye) are for hiding or revealing tasks based on their attributes. The options in the Action Menu are for controlling how your list looks regardless of what properties those tasks have.
Tracie2602

Just Love it! Now if you could just get Toodledo to remotely switch the kettle on...........
SES21

Posted: Nov 21, 2015
Posted by Jake:
SNIP ... We may make the default size taller in the future, but in the meantime, in all web browsers except Internet Explorer, you can resize the note editing text box to be whatever size you want by dragging the bottom right corner of the box.

You can resize it to be whatever height you want, not size. Any chance of making it so we can truly resize it wider & not just taller? I know what you said about long text boxes & all that but the small edit box still drives me nuts! That bottom right corner of the box trick normally goes both directions but not in this case...
Christoph Dollis

Posted: Nov 22, 2015
Posted by SES21:
Posted by Jake:
SNIP ... We may make the default size taller in the future, but in the meantime, in all web browsers except Internet Explorer, you can resize the note editing text box to be whatever size you want by dragging the bottom right corner of the box.

You can resize it to be whatever height you want, not size. Any chance of making it so we can truly resize it wider & not just taller? I know what you said about long text boxes & all that but the small edit box still drives me nuts! That bottom right corner of the box trick normally goes both directions but not in this case...

It normally does go both directions. I can understand why the default size is narrow for the reasons Jake gives, but the ability to do what Chrome normally allows and make the box wider seems to offer no notable downsides and give upsides to those; like myself, SES21, and others; who want this normal functionality.

Now, this isn't necessarily my hugest priority, but it seems quite important to SES21, and I also do this sometimes. Maybe there's some big downside that I'm missing, but it was nice to be able to edit large notes in a wider field before.

Cheers.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.