ForumsNewsCustomizable reminders/alarms

Customizable reminders/alarms
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 16, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Today we are releasing an enhanced reminder service.

1) It is now possible to select which tasks will send reminders.
2) It is now possible to customize the leadtime for each reminder from 15 minutes to 7 days ahead of time. You can pick a different leadtime for each task. (Pro subscribers only)
3) Emailed reminders will now contain all the pertinent information about the task (folder, priority, note, etc..) so you won't need to visit the website to see the details.
4) Reminders can be sent via email and SMS, with more options coming soon.

This new reminder system is much more powerful than our old system. If you were using our old system (which sent a short non-configurable reminder 1-5 hours before every tasks), this will continue to work until you manually convert over to using the new system.

Reminder Configuration Page

Once you have setup an address at which to receive reminders (using the link above), you can set reminders by clicking the checkbox above the calendar when setting a due-date and time.

If a task has a due date but no due time, any reminders set for that task will use 12:00 noon to calculate the time to send the reminder.
Jeremy

Wow! Awesome!
Vin Thomas

This is a great update! Although I don't use due times. Often things only have due dates. Is there a way to get a reminder via email/sms at a specified time before the due date without having to use the due time field?

Thanks!
jquark

Oh. My. God. Uhmm, yeah, I'm done; just went Pro and not turning back! Thank you!
Anders

Wow Toodledo, you're on one heck of a roll. This is huge, especially this...
Posted by Toodledo:
1) It is now possible to select which tasks will send reminders.

And this.
you can set reminders by clicking the checkbox above the calendar when setting a due-date and time.

Thank you very very much :)

Posted by Vin Thomas:
Is there a way to get a reminder via email/sms at a specified time before the due date without having to use the due time field?

Well, the configuration page says to make sure you have both Due Dates and Due Times enabled, but Toodledo's post says that if there is no Due Time reminders will be set as if the Due Time were noon. So maybe you still have to have them enabled for the reminders to work, but I would guess not.

~Anders

This message was edited Jun 16, 2009.
toodledo-kepeli

Wow! This is great! I've really wanted to be able to use a more specific reminder time frame. I'm so happy to be a Pro user.
Andrew

This IS nice. I remember this as being just one of the many features that the RTM team would NEVER implement. It's really making the Pro subscriber option look appealing.
jamezzz

Sweeeet!! You just gave me an excuse to pay for SMS on my iPhone...wait...that just cost me $5/mo ;-) Great feature!!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have yet to update the help section, but to answer the question asked above. If you do not use the due-time field, it will pretend that the time is noon for the purposes of sending the reminder. So a task due on Friday with no time, that has a 1 day reminder will get that reminder on Thursday at noon.
Claudio

Okay, am I missing something? I just tried the SMS reminders and I got a message saying "You have mail from [email protected]. Please reply with 'Read' to read your message." Is this the way that all SMS reminders work? I thought it would be a message telling me what the task is.

Also, it seems that the email reminders require Push mail for timely reminders. Is that right? I use Gmail on my iPhone, which doesn't have a Push opttion. I have it set to check every hour, but even the most frequent -- every 15 minutes, which will drain the battery faster -- doesn't seem often enough.

Suggestions?
Jeremy

@Claudio

Get a blackberry...

:)
Anders

Posted by Claudio:
I just tried the SMS reminders and I got a message saying "You have mail from [email protected]. Please reply with 'Read' to read your message."

I'm really not certain, but it may be getting filtered as potential spam because the message was autogenerated by a computer. You may be able to fix it through settings somewhere.

I use Gmail on my iPhone, which doesn't have a Push opttion.

You can get push Gmail by using Google Sync http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html It works great, and it can also sync/push Gcal and Google Contacts if you happen to use those. Just follow directions for the initial setup closely, it is not particularly intuitive.

~Anders
Claudio

According to Google Sync: "Currently only Contacts and Calendar are supported." (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252)
No email.

I'll check with my cell provider about possible SMS filtering.

Just to confirm: Do other Toodledo users get an SMS reminder with the task details?
Anders

I have an iPod, so I don't use AT&T, but I find it hard to believe that would be their policy. Anyway, on my Sprint WM phone, I get a message like this...

Subject: [Name of my task]

Due: [Task Due Date] at [Due Time]

However, it did not include my task's Folder. Is that a bug, or something with my messaging service?

~Anders

Oh, and sorry, I didn't realize that mail was not yet supported by GS.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
The SMS message will be in the format

Subject: [Name of my task]

Due: [Task Due Date] at [Due Time]

If you are getting something else, your cell phone carrier must have some sort of filtering going on that you'll need to sort out with them. Because text messages have a size limit, there is not room for additional information, like folder, context, notes, etc. If you want all that extra information you will need to switch to using email reminders.

In order to get the email in a timely manner, you will need to configure your phone, if possible, to use push email or to check more often. That depends on your phone.

Hope that helps
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jun 17, 2009
@Claudio - Use the SMS option instead of e-mail. A reminder really should grab your attention more than an e-mail allows; sms is perfect.
The Dave

Posted by Claudio:
Okay, am I missing something? I just tried the SMS reminders and I got a message saying "You have mail from [email protected]. Please reply with 'Read' to read your message." Is this the way that all SMS reminders work? I thought it would be a message telling me what the task is.

Any chance you're a Rogers subscriber? If so, this is a Rogers feature, call them to have it removed (although you'll need to talk to 2-3 reps to get one that has a clue what you're talking about, the feature you need to get added to your line is called "Email 2 TXT - Direct Delivery", it may be $5, although if you ask nicely you may get it free.
lite1

TD you might be interested to know that I have been talking with a friend who has been looking for task manager and considered RTM and TD. I definitely steered them away from RTM and toward TD. One of their first feture ?s was in terms of reminders. I do not use these personally, but said I'd research which I did a week ago. They will now be thrilled/convinced by the added options for reminders.

Keep up the good work - who knows I might even set a few of my tasks up with reminders, but generally find it to be overkill in my life. I usually can nail 99.6% of my hard deadlines and my super high priority date/time commitments without high tech "alarms", but I'm a bit old school in that regard.

Edward
The Dave

Posted by Toodledo:
Today we are releasing an enhanced reminder service.

Any chance you could add a "when due" reminder time? This is more useful when an item needs to be done on-or-after a certain time rather then before a certain time.
Claudio

Posted by The Dave:
Any chance you're a Rogers subscriber? If so, this is a Rogers feature, call them to have it removed
Yes. Thank you for identifying the issue. :)

I called Rogers, made the change, and now the Toodledo reminders are now working properly.

I noticed, though, that the alarms are not triggered if the due date is optional. (I tried this with two tasks.) In a way this makes sense, but is this the way the alarms are supposed to work?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.