ForumsQuestionsTask and Subtask Dependancy

Task and Subtask Dependancy
Alan

Posted: Mar 10, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I really would love to have the ability to make certain tasks dependent on the completion of other tasks, and extending this, of course, subtasks could be deemed as dependent upon other subtasks.

For example, let's say I'm entering a task, but that task cannot be started (or completed) until some other task is completed.

Furthermore, a task that is dependent on another can be optionally displayed if the other task is not completed.

Example:

- Take out garbage
- Clean garbage can

The second task cannot be marked as completed until the first one is, and when setting it up, I could determine that this task is to be hidden, until the first task is completed.
Salgud

Posted: Mar 10, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Oft requested feature, it's on "the list".
duncanshannon

Posted: Apr 23, 2011
and its been on the list for what looks like 2+ years according to the forum history!
ryaske

Posted: May 05, 2011
Does Toodledo think this something that might be coming in days, weeks, months, or years from now, May 5 2011?

I almost thought Toodledo was EVERYTHING we wanted. There are always speed bumps ...

edit: Whoops, nevermind.

>This is on our to-do list, but it is our policy to not comment on our roadmap or delivery dates for future feature improvements.

I will again begin my search for an alternative solution :(

This message was edited May 05, 2011.
LesSand

Posted: May 13, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
Just wanted to add myself to the list of members for whom increasingly the lack of dependent tasks is becoming a major issue.

What would be ideal to me is that I could make a certain task or subtask "Waiting for" any another arbitrary task or subtask that I choose - it shouldn't need to be a subtask or the same task. And to complete the workflow, as I check the "waited for" task completed, the waiting task status should change to "Next Action".

Ideally, this status would be customizable per task (e.g. I want some of my waiting tasks to become Next Action, others to become Active, and I want to be able to decide that for each task individually), but I conceed that is a bit more advanced and could possibly make the UI convoluted, if not implemented smartly.

I really like Toodledo, it helps me in incredible ways. I'm happy to pay to keep the service uptime high and the features coming, but the overhead of managing dependent tasks is making me seriously consider start looking at other options.
jonhill7

Posted: Jun 14, 2011
I want to add my strong support for this feature.

I would upgrade my account if task dependency was included.
teijin

Posted: Jul 21, 2011
I want to add my strong support for this feature as well.

It would be critical for me to use it for project management.

Often it is that there is one task that should not be forgotten, but it cannot be completed until another thing has happened.

I'm looking for a way to organise this in a meaningful way. Maybe there are any ideas from other members in the forum? How are you managing this?

Thanks!
Brad_L

Posted: Jul 28, 2011
is there a workaround to this? is there a way to reorder my subtasks that doesn't involve fudging the naming convention (i.e. 0001 Task One, 0002 Task Two, etc., etc.)?
Folke X

Posted: Aug 01, 2011
Workaround:

I do not konw if this is any help to you, but I use Status (and the Star) to achieve the pipelining of tasks. When I review my projects I gradually move tasks to a higher Status, Next Action being the highest status (and Starred Next Actions being the very highest). I tend to keep most of my lists sorted by Status, then Star.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.