ForumsQuestionsOpenID with Google Accounts

OpenID with Google Accounts
Shahar Or

Posted: Mar 23, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Dear Ones,

This has been discussed before[1].

Since the topic is locked and old, I am reposting. I am sure some of the users would like this feature.

1. http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/817/0/does-toodledo-support-google-as-openid-provider.html

Blessings,
Shahar
Danielle et al.

Posted: Apr 07, 2011
Here's a work-around for using Google as an OpenID on Toodledo:

(1) Log into your Google account
(2) Open Google's "Account Settings" and click on "Blogger"
(3) Create a blog if you haven't, and copy the blog's URL (which should look like http://blogname.blogspot.com)
(4) Tell Toodledo's account settings that the blog URL is your OpenID address
(5) Sign out of Toodledo
(6) Sign back into Toodledo with an OpenID address, then confirm the OpenID

All set up!

There is one extra step to this work-around -- every time you clear your cache or sign into a new computer, you have to:

(1) Sign into Google
(2) Type "blogger.com" into your browser (which pulls up your blogger "Dashboard"), then you can close that tab if you like.
(3) Type "toodledo.com" into your browser
(4) Sign in to Toodledo using OpenID

Notes:

(1) If you forget to pull up the blogger website first, don't bother to put your password into the form they provide -- it probably won't work anyway. Just type in blogger.com, then go back to toodledo.com.
(2) Even though your blog URL is at blogspot.com, your account is actually at blogger.com. It might work if you type in blogspot.com instead, though. I didn't try it.

This message was edited Apr 07, 2011.
Danielle et al.

Posted: Apr 07, 2011
One issue that makes this work-around useless is that I have to sign in to Toodledo with my OpenID every time I restart my browser. At that point, I might as well just sign in with my username and password. Why isn't Toodledo remembering to check my OpenID?

Yes, I already made sure that the browser isn't dumping cookies when it restarts; it keeps them until they expire.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 08, 2011
Thanks for the update. We will investigate.
Danielle et al.

Posted: Apr 12, 2011
Wow, it's working now. Thanks!

So, to update the post I made about the work-around now that OpenID is working as it should...

Here's a work-around for using Google as an OpenID on Toodledo:

(1) Log into your Google account
(2) Open Google's "Account Settings" and click on "Blogger"
(3) Create a blog if you haven't, and copy the blog's URL (which should look like http://blogname.blogspot.com)
(4) Tell Toodledo's account settings that the blog URL is your OpenID address
(5) Sign out of Toodledo
(6) Sign back into Toodledo with an OpenID address, then confirm the OpenID

All set up!

There is one extra step to this work-around -- every time you clear your cache or sign into a new computer, you have to:

(1) Sign into Google
(2) Type "blogger.com" into your browser (which pulls up your blogger "Dashboard"), then you can close that tab if you like.
(3) Type "toodledo.com" into your browser

Notes:

(1) If you forget to pull up the blogger website first, don't bother to put your password into the form they provide -- it probably won't work anyway. Just type in blogger.com, then go back to toodledo.com.
(2) Even though your blog URL is at blogspot.com, your account is actually at blogger.com. It might work if you type in blogspot.com instead, though. I didn't try it.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011.
jritzi

Posted: May 25, 2011
Just chipping in, real OpenID support for Google would be great--it's the one feature I notice ToodleDo is missing.
reemrevnivek

Posted: Jun 22, 2011
The blogger workaround is extremely cumbersome. It's far easier to just type in a username and password.

I think it's time to accept that Google's alternate form of OpenID authentication is in wide enough use. For the devs, the info on this authentication is available at:
http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/OpenID.html
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.