ForumsQuestionsGetting desired fields to display on iPad

Getting desired fields to display on iPad
jsonewald

Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
How do I get Importance to NOT display? All I want is the task title, context, status, and folder. The choice of other fields is good to have available when I want them. But the iPad app seems to insist on displaying Importance, which is useless for me, and clutters the iPad list. Likewise for displaying "no context" or "no status". If there is nothing selected for them, then there should be a blank field displayed.

Forcing a user to accommodate your algorithm for managing a task list doesn't cut it. This is especially important when mobile devices with limited screen space are used. I need to see what I need to see, and not what you think I should see. At least give the user the option to toggle importance off, and display nothing for a field if nothing is selected. The other options are well thought out and contribute to quality of the app.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Importance is only shown if you are sorting your list by importance. If you don't want it displayed, then you only need to sort your list by some other criteria.
jsonewald

Posted: Mar 27, 2011
OK, displaying "Importance" is clear.

What about turning off the "No context" and "No status" displayed when you don't choose a context or status?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 27, 2011
What would you rather us display instead of "no context" when you haven't chosen a context?
jsonewald

Posted: Mar 28, 2011
My preference is that nothing be displayed if "No context" and "No status" are selected.

Context and status are both useful fields for quickly identifying tasks with a common characteristic. They are most useful when I can scan down the list and pick them out quickly. If every task on the list has an entry, the meaningful labels are not nearly as obvious when they are buried in the many "No context" and "No status" labels.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If nothing is displayed, then there would be nothing to click to add a context to a task that doesn't have one. We have compromised here by making "no context" a light grey to make the other values stand out.
jsonewald

The issue I have is with the iPad version, not the web version.

On the web version, the difference between the light grey and filled field is fairly noticeable. On the iPad, the color difference is pretty small. In addition, the iPad displayed list is very cramped compared to the web page version. Also, on the iPad, you edit the task fields in a separate box, where all of the selected fields are labeled by name. There is no reason on the iPad for a field in which you do not select content, to have content displayed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I didn't realize you were talking about the iPad. You are totally correct and we plan to integrate this UI improvement into a future update.

Thanks
jsonewald

Posted: Mar 29, 2011
Thanks. I look forward to seeing it.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.