ForumsQuestionsturning a gmail or apple mail item into a task?

turning a gmail or apple mail item into a task?
Pommette

Posted: May 04, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I was hoping to find an easy way of integrating TD with the loads of email I get so that I could turn specific ones that require me to do something into a task. I'm mostly using this on the iphone rather than on my laptop. I sense from some discussions that people do work with email, but I can't find a place this is spelled out systematically. In fact, is there a real manual where I can look things up rather than turning to the forums? My not having found this will explain a few other questions that I will be asking over the next couple of days. Thanks!
simon

Posted: May 05, 2011
Hi Pommette, welcome to TD. It's worth mentioning that everyone has gone through the learning curve you're about to embark upon, that's the nature of Toodledo. It's so flexible that it needs an investment of time in the early days but it's worth it.
You can email a task in to your list that will arrive perfectly with all the settings in place by following the instructions here (https://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php) or, you can simply forward the email and sort the detail later (you will find your personal email address in Account Settings). I have Toodledo set as a contact so emailing is simple.
In answer to your Manual question, check out Help & News at the bottom of the list to the left.
Pommette

Thanks, Simon. Alas, I'm starting out badly: the instructions say to go to the import page, but where is that? I couldn't find anything under my account settings or the main TD home page. In fact, I don't see where I can do anything with email except change my login.
Alan

Pommette: Here's a direct link to the section of your account to configure email importing: http://www.toodledo.com/connect_email.php
Pommette

Thanks, Alan! Now, does anyone have an intuitive method for accessing the syntax for the messages before learning them by heart? I would be doing this from an iphone, so looking it up online would be a hassle.
simon

Posted: May 06, 2011
Personally I find that although I have learned some of the syntax I rarely use it. I tend to use the 'mail in' feature because I have an email that involves a task that I don't want to forget. So I simply forward it to TD to deal with later (sometimes not too much later as it will appear in your iPhone app pretty much instantly so you can refine settings there). If you go Account Settings/New Task Defaults/Edit you can set the default for new tasks. This will determine what your mailed in (or other) tasks will look like before any further adjustment.
Alan

Some email clients allow you to set up "stationary" or "templates". What I've done is put a guide in my template, then, whenever I want to write a task by email, I just use that template and I can refer to the guide which is already in the text of the email. When I'm done, I just erase it.

I've also put a copy of it on a note on my iPhone, and on my office wall, so if I'm forwarding a task, I can refer to it.

Having said that, I've found that the more often I use it, the more of the options I've learned off by heart anyway.
simon

Alan, don't you find that most of what you need can be done through the new task default setting? I have mine set to:
Folder: INBOX
Due Date: Tomorrow
Priority: Medium
which means at the very least, the task will show up in my Hotlist and be seen. I find it much faster and requires no thinking until I choose to go into TD either on the desktop or iPhone.
Pommette

Thanks to you both! I really like Simon's solution, especially since the body of the email appears in the note. I'm very pleased.
Alan

Posted: May 07, 2011
Good suggestion Simon. The only thing is that I don't use email for most of my task entry -- maybe 25%, so I would spend a lot of time switching 75% of those parameters around. But your idea is good if one uses email for task entry frequently

Posted by simon:
Alan, don't you find that most of what you need can be done through the new task default setting? I have mine set to:
Folder: INBOX
Due Date: Tomorrow
Priority: Medium
which means at the very least, the task will show up in my Hotlist and be seen. I find it much faster and requires no thinking until I choose to go into TD either on the desktop or iPhone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.