ForumsQuestionsrepeating tasks not showing up in the task list

repeating tasks not showing up in the task list
jlmaggetto

Posted: Jul 11, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I a newbie with Toodledo, but I am used to using Outlook. If you encode a repeating task in Outlook, for example a weekly task, it will automatically show up on every week on the Calendar. If I do the same with Toodledo (knowing that my current task list view goes up to 6 months in the future), I just see the first occurrence of a repeating task, and not the next ones. How could I make them visible (assuming they are indeed created by Toodledo) ?
This is important for me because I have to perform calculations on my booking level, and repeating tasks also (especially) book time in the future.

Thanks in advance for helping me !
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 11, 2011
The difference here is that Toodledo is not a calendaring application. It is a to-do list, and repeating tasks function a little differently. A repeating task will regenerate itself when you check it off, according to the repeating options that you have set. It is not possible to place every future occurrence of the task on a calendar because often we don't know when the next occurrence will be until you check it off.
jlmaggetto

Posted: Jul 12, 2011
Reading that Toodledo is just a "to do list", like any other to do list, is quite disappointing. I thought that you were trying to offer a personal management tool. For a to do list, Excel or even notepad is enough.
On the other hand, it is not true that it is not possible to place every future occurrence of a task on a calendar : Outlook does it !
And I am sure that a lot of pro users will need your tool for evaluating their booking level, which is impossible if recurrences are not correctly registered in the calendar.
I would like to know what is your vision about your tool, because this is certainly not the only functionality obviously lacking in your tool. Personally, I have identified about 15 useful functionalities that you could integrate to your tool. I don't want to argue with Toodledo if it is not worth the effort. So I would like to know your vision.
simon

Respectfully, I think you may have missed the point. Toodledo isn't just a "to do list", like any other to do list it is singularly the most comprehensive, full featured to do list available today. However, it isn't a calendar.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
A calendar is a great way to keep track of "hard dates", such as a dentist appointment or a weekly office meeting. You can track this kind of event in Toodledo by giving it a start/end date and time.

In Toodledo you can also track more flexible types of repeating tasks, which are called "soft dates". For example, you could have a monthly task for "clean my desk" that is scheduled to repeat 1 month from whenever you complete it. If you procrastinate for 3 weeks, the next occurrence wont be a week later, it will be 4 weeks later. And since we don't know when you are going to complete tasks, we can't put future occurrences of these types of tasks on the to-do list.

That said, if you sync Toodledo with an external calendar application, like Google Calendar or Apple iCal, then that application will attempt to put future occurrences on the calendar, so you can do that if you really need a calendar.

Hope that helps.
jlmaggetto

Posted: Jul 13, 2011
Hello,

Obviously Toodledo doesn't address my specific (well, not so specific...) need. Should I also remind you that sync between Toodledo and Google Calendar is only unidirectional, so I cannot program a recurrence in Google Calendar and push it back into Toodledo. Also, have you already seen somebody trying to manage him/herself without a calendar ? My understanding is now clearly that Toodledo is not a fully functional personal management tool. Of course, I can use a turn around and encode each task of a recurrence separately (what a waste of time !). Feeling : disappointed.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Im sorry that Toodledo won't work for you.
Salgud

Posted by jlmaggetto:
My understanding is now clearly that Toodledo is not a fully functional personal management tool.

You forgot two very important words. "For me". Works just great for bunches of us.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.