ForumsQuestionsquick search too far to the right?

quick search too far to the right?
rocky.collins

Posted: Jul 29, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
love the new layout. Question: the "quick search" box is so far to to the right that it is half off the screen, with a lot of empty space between it and the rest of the menu items. Is there a way to move it?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 29, 2011
You must have a small monitor. We will look into it and see if we can get it to fit on smaller monitors.
homerjsimpson8

Posted: Aug 07, 2011
I agree with Rocky.
I have a 24" monitor and like to split screen with different apps and as a result, I get about 2mm of the quick Search box showing and have to scroll the right to see what I am entering into it.
Is it possible to move the Quick Search box to be immediately adjacent to the 'Print Full Page' toolbar item?
This would make the site more user friendly without having to use horizontal scrolling.
Thank you
Folke X

I must be blind. I have a 1920 screen, but I cannot see a "Quick Search" box anywhere. Where is it?
Salgud

Posted by Folke_1293790322:
I must be blind. I have a 1920 screen, but I cannot see a "Quick Search" box anywhere. Where is it?

Under the Notebook tab, says "Quick Add Task".
Folke X

Quick Add I know about. Is that what they are talking about here?

Maybe I took the term "Quick Search" to literally - but if there is a quick search also, I would not mind to know about it.
Salgud

Sorry, Quick Search is at top right.
Folke X

Still can't see it. Does it need to be enabled or something?
Purveyor

You're probably in View by Search (on the left menu).
Try Main or any of the other "View by" options.
Folke X

@Purveyor

You're absolutely right. I just checked.

I am almost always in Search mode - just one click away from my favorite hotlists and other favorite views (i.e. my other saved searches).

That's why I did not see a Quick Search box. Wouldn't the Quick Search box be equally relevant to have direct access to even if you happen to be looking at a saved search?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 08, 2011
The Quick Search feature was not designed to work within another search. It can't do nested searching. If you need to search within a search, click the "modify search" link and just adjust the original search criteria.
Folke X

Posted: Aug 08, 2011
Wouldn't need to be nested, or be based on the current screen at all ... just a normal quick search from scratch. Why wouldn't you be able to that from anywhere?

It's nothing I need, though. I was just reflecting from a consistency point of view.

EDIT: Please forget my whole thought. I just realized that the other quick searches too are based on the current filtering (sub-selection) - they do not start from scratch. That makes it difficult to be consistent in the way I had thought - unless all quick searches would start from scratch, of course.

This message was edited Aug 08, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 09, 2011
Quick search always searches through the visible list. To search your entire list, you use the "search" view and click on the "new search" button.
CharleneTX

Posted: Aug 16, 2011
I'm a new user and the quick search box is so far out in right field that I didn't even notice it. I've been using the search option from the left hand menu and thought that was a rather awkward way of searching.

--Charlene
Folke X

Posted: Aug 17, 2011
@ CharleneTX:

Yes, the main use of the normal (left hand) search is to create your own permanent custom views, e.g. "private hotlist", "work hotlist", "project X hotlist" etc. In other to-do systems these saved searches are typically called "smart lists" or "smart views" etc, which perhaps is more descriptive.

I use such custom views all the time, and almost never leave "search mode". I have all my favorite special views (saved searches) listed on my left hand under "Search", always just one click away. Very handy and useful.

Paradoxically, the only time I leave search mode is when I actually want to search for something, e.g. a misplaced item. Then it is often easier to go manually folder by folder or to use quick search.
homerjsimpson8

Posted: Nov 07, 2011
As much as I love using Toodledo, having to scroll for the search box still bugs the hell out of me as it is the most used item I use on this website.
Any chance of moving it to the left side or replacing the "Quick Add Task" box?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 08, 2011
What size is your monitor?
homerjsimpson8

Posted: Jan 07, 2012
I use multiple machines and monitors. My work machine is 13" macbook pro some times connected with a 19" or 24" external monitors
My home machine is a 24" imac (1920 x 1200). I usually run Toodledo in Firefox having a vertical split screen with Firefox on the left and another application on the right. Hence toodledo is displayed using 960 x 1200 pixels.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.