ForumsQuestionsCalendar Times

Calendar Times
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 04, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Does Toodledo support scheduling the task date and time directly into the time slot on either Google Calendar or ical? I can get a task list to show up on the correct day but not to schedule the time slot to complete a task. I have been on Toodledo for a few years now and always look for this feature. It would seem that using the Events URL tethered to the calendar should support times, no?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 04, 2011
Yes, you can have events show up at the correct times. Just go into your account settings and enable the due-time and start-time fields and then you can make the start and end of each event.
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 05, 2011
Thanks for the response but I must be doing something wrong. I the Start Time and Date checked in my Settings. I also have the Due Time and Date checked. I load a test task into Toodledo with a Start Date and a Start Time and then Due Date and Due Time. Length 1 hour. I have the Calendar Subscriptions checked in and the URL addition for Google Apps that you recomend loaded and saved after "render". It shows up as a Calendar. After I save my Toodledo task it appears in a list of tasks that I have to do on that Due Date but it does not appear as an event in the Calendar in the time slot that I am trying to schedule. What I am doing wrong?
Folke X

Maybe you just haven't waited long enough. Google Calendar fetches the data only once a day or so.
(I did it like that earlier.)
goodyear.doug

Thanks, I have turned to a GTD SW called Nozbe although much prefer Toodledo. When I enter a task with a time and date it immediately updates my Google Calendar upon refresh. So if it is once per day that must be a Toodledo issue and not Google. Is that correct?
I can also drag the task in Google Calendar to a different time slot and it updates Nozbe. TD is just user friendlly
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
Google has recently released an API for the calendar that would allow better syncing. Maybe Nozbe does this, I don't know. In any case, this is on our to-do list.
goodyear.doug

So now I am confused. You said above "Yes, you can have events show up at the correct times". Your last comment seems to contradict that. For me it does not matter if it is 24 hours or 24 minutes I can't get the task to schedule in Google Calendar. Is there a way to do that or is it a roadmap item?
Folke X

@goodyear.doug

While you're waiting for an answer from the people who know:

I suppose he means that:

- the instantaneous two-way sync that you are referring to is a roadmap item for Toodledo

- the once-per-day-or-so one-way sync is in place and should be working
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 06, 2011
Thank you Folke. I just can't get that to work. One other thing that your just was another help as I assume when you say "one way" it means only mod on Toodledo. That is acceptable to me although I can't get that to work.
Folke X

Posted: Aug 06, 2011
I have reactivated Start and length and have set up three test tasks:
start+due
start+length
due+length
Will let you know probably tomorrow what happened.
Folke X

Posted: Aug 07, 2011
Here are the results:

Task 1: Start 2 pm, Due 4 pm
shows in GCal as an event 2 pm - 4 pm

Task 2: Due 2 pm, Length 2 hrs
shows in GCal as an event 12 pm - 2 pm

Task 3: Start 2 pm, Length 2 hrs
shows in GCal as an event 2 pm - 4 pm

For the tasks using due date/time I used the default setting "due by" (there are three other optional settings available)

I also have some tasks of my own that are encoded as due at 11 pm (nothing else; no start; no length). These show in GCal as events 11 pm - 11 pm in the numerical event info, but as a half hour block in the visual "day" diagram.

This message was edited Aug 07, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 08, 2011
Thanks for doing this experiment Folke. That clearly shows what is necessary to get the tasks to appear on the calendar at the proper time. Doug, if this is not working, please create a support ticket.
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 12, 2011
Hi Admin and Folke, I am just unable to get a procedure that will load my calendar with my tasks directly into the time slots. Before I do a support ticket is there anywhere that I could get a step by step procedure for this implementation from A to Z? This would include configuration of Toodle, Google Apps, and Macbook? I keep felling that something must be configured incorrectly.
Folke X

All I know is how I did it - it was very simple:

1) In Toodledo, under Tools I think, find the appropriate url adress of your timed tasks. Then copy this (ctrlC).

2) In GCal, under Settings, create a new calendar, find the url field there, and paste (ctrlV), then save.
goodyear.doug

Thanks Folke
I believe that I understand the problem. I have been clicking on the URL in Toodledo tools section. That forces the URL ti open in iCal. The calendar then appears in iCal but the URL never gets into my Google Calendar. The problem that I have is all the other calendars I have installed is just an automated process so I have to figure out how to create a calendar manually with a URL. I will give that a try.
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 13, 2011
Folke,
Apparently the procedure that you describe above on works for gmail and not Google Apps. Toodledo gives this instruction for apps but that gets me right back to square one. Nothing loads.....
Calendar Gadget
Sign in to your Google Calendar page.
Look at the URL. It will be something like "www.google.com/calendar/hosted/yourdomain.com/render". Delete everything that is after the word "render" and replace it with "?cid=http://www.toodledo.com/widget/googlecal.php".
Hit return and click "Yes".

Just not working for me.
Folke X

Posted: Aug 13, 2011
I use Google Apps, too, and it works. (I am now talking about the now available one-way sync FROM Toodledo TO GCal proper - not to a gadget):

1. In Toodledo, click Tools - More - Calendar/Configure.
Then click Enable Calendar Subscriptions if you haven't already done so.
Then you will get a choice of four secret different urls (via which different parts of your Toodledo data can be fetched from the outside, e.g. from GCal). Copy the first one. It looks something like this:
webcal://www.toodledo.com/id/x3f36sdghdmnd6e736egdjdf7f/ical_live_events.ics

2. In GCal proper, click Settings - Create Calendar etc. and paste in the url which points to your Toodledo data.

It worked straight away from me, and I use Google Apps, too.
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 14, 2011
Folke,
Thanks for hanging with me on this.
I felt like I was doing exactly that but may have stumbled on to something.
I am familiar with the areas that you describe above. I have 3 subscriptions to manage. These would be Mac iCal, Google Apps Calendar, and iphone.
I honestly don't use ical much because I like the quick add event that Google allows.
Just after my last post yesterday I went in again and set up iCal and iphone again. Toodledo recomends to use the Combo URL for iCal and that is what I was using for my iphone subscription. Yesterday I decided to just use the Events only URL for all three. So the events were showing fine on iphone and now showing in iCal but not in GCal. Just now when I logged on to Gcal the events were there. So not sure if they were overwritten by iCal or the iphone into Gcal but they show there. The reason that I think that they are overwritten by one or the other is that GCal is also subscribed to the normal Toodledo Calendar which shows them in the task list. Those do not show there at all but the events that I am trying to get do. I am afraid to breath lest it all go away. Literally been trying to solve this for 2 years.
goodyear.doug

Posted: Aug 26, 2011
Thanks all for the help. I wanted to close the loop.
Toodledo has been a great resource for me for a few years. It works on my handheld and computer.
As a business tool it has never worked well with either Outlook/Exchange or now with GCAL and Apps.
It is feature rich but documentation is not clear and robust and it has not been updated for a long period of time.
UI I am told is updated for my on MAc tool although it crashes when I try to download the update.
Anyway, in business I need to identify my tasks into a list and then schedule them. I need a tool that can do that and there are so many different tools now that supply this.
I will revisit Toodledo from time to time but being the first and hanging on to that reputation is a bad business strategy.
Good luck everyone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.