ForumsQuestionsSave searches as lists/folders to have them available in apps!

Save searches as lists/folders to have them available in apps!
bitschnau

Posted: Aug 23, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I am constantly swinging forth and back between RememberTheMilk and Toodledoo. RTM has the very nice UI, but is very strict in it's possibilities. Toodledo has a not so very nice UI, but is highly configurable for my needs and it has subtasks, which I need to organize my Projects-list in my implementation of GTD.

So far, so good, now I have a nice system running on both platforms and my gut instinct is telling me: "Use Toodledo! It fits your needs better!"

Still far, still good, but one thing I am really missing and what keeps me from doing the last step, is the possibility in RememberTheMilk to save searches as lists and besides the color of the tabs, there is no difference to other lists.

And most of all, these lists appear in the Lists list in the iPhone App of RTM.

I would love to have something similiar for Toodledo, since saved Searches are present in no way on the iPhone app. I would love to save searches as "Folders" or something similiar, to have them available in the app.

What do you think?
Folke X

I totally agree that not having them in the iPhone app is serious. Not having them clearly visible in the desktop web UI, however, is probably mainly bad for Toodledo's business (and therefore indirectly for all of us), but not so much for you personally. Here is why:

The lists are actually there in the web UI - it is just that you have to know where to find them and arrange your work accordingly. They are usually referred to as saved searches, and you save them and find them again under Search. If you want to be able to change quickly between your different favorite views, just click another saved search in the left sidebar. That's easy enough. That is what I do. Have saved searches for everything that is needed frequently.

And if some of the default views are actually something you use frequently, you can replicate those views as saved searches, such that you never need to leave Search and never need to lose sight of your list of "favorite views" (saved searches) is the left sidebar. (The only built-in view that cannot be replicated is the Calendar view.)

But I am afraid that the fact that this is so hidden might scare potential users. I personally overlooked Toodledo twice (and chose first Todoist and thereafter RTM) because I did not realize that Toodledo actually has this. It should be made much more prominent, just as you suggest. And it needs to be fully implemented in the iPhone app.

Oh, by the way, I do not agree that RTM looks nicer, though. Not anymore. And Toodledo produces much better overviews: You can sort your lists in many more ways; you get your lists grouped under separate dividers; and if you use Grid mode, you can see all the fields directly on the screen without clicking or hovering.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011.
bitschnau

You are right, if you say "does not look nicer. NOT ANYMORE". I left Toodledo about a year ago and it did a lot of improvements.

What I really like about RTM is in my implementation of GTD there. I use the Priority for marking my tasks as "Next Actions" (Priority 1 - Orange), "Waiting For" (Priority 2 - Dark Blue) and "Tickler Task" (Priority 3 - Light Blue).

In Toodledo I have seperations in my lists, which is not as eye-candy as the colors, but that's only a minor issue and nothing one would argue about. :-)

Toodledo is on a good way and it will only get better, if you ask me. The total lack of searches in the mobile app is a real tough one compared to the uppper one.

Your mentioning of the 'unpopular placement' and 'unituitive usage' of the search is also correct.
Folke X

Yes, in RTM I also used Priority for "Next Action" etc, quite a bit like your implementation, and yes, those discreet little color bars for Priority are just great!

Here in in Toodledo, I have shifted to using Status instead of Priority for "Next Action" etc (because it has more levels and more intuitive names). But it would be great to have those discreet little color bars! In my case I would like them both for Status and Priority, as I use both of them for different purposes (Here in Toodledo I use Priority for what you might call "gain", "value" or "importance" - totally independent of the timing aspects that I manage with Status).

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 26, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
We plan to bring saved searches to our iPhone app in a future update.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.