ForumsQuestionsdon't want to see tomorrow's daily tasks

don't want to see tomorrow's daily tasks
llischer

Posted: Sep 09, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I know this sort of subject has been discussed, but I'm still not able to set up my daily tasks in a way that works for me. Any help is appreciated.

So for a daily task, like "Feed the cat.", I have it set up as due =today, repeat daily (upon completion), priority 2. I have Show Future Tasks unchecked.

After I feed the cat, I check off my "Feed the cat." task as complete. After that, for the rest of the day, I really don't want to see that I need to feed the cat tomorrow (because it's an irrelevant task until tomorrow). But almost immediately Toodledo will create the "Feed the cat." task due =tomorrow.

Is there any way to set up Toodledo or this specific task so that it won't create the repeated task (or at least not show the repeated task) until the next day?

Thanks very much,
Linda
Salgud

Is the task starred?
llischer

No, I don't have the task starred.
Salgud

It depends on what View you're using. If you're using one of the canned views, like "Hotlist", you might have to change the Hotlist settings in your Settings page to get what you want.

A lot of us live almost entirely in the Saved Searches Views that we create for ourselves based on how we have TD set up. If you go to that View, and click on "New Search", you'll see the starting point for creating searches. It defaults to hiding completed tasks for obvious reasons. If you just want to filter future tasks, add a line like

| And | Due Date | Is before | tomorrow |

Then make sure you Save the search (button at the upper right). That should get you started. Of course, as you get familiar with Searches, you can create very complex combinations if you so desire. Or not.

This message was edited Sep 09, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
llischer

Posted: Sep 10, 2011
Thanks very much for the suggestions, especially about the Saved Searches. I was trying to use the Main view, but it was too cluttered up (with all my tasks). So filtering out what's not relevant with Searches makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.

--Linda
craig1f

I just got saved searches set up too, and I like it. The problem is I can't seem to find them on my iPhone app. Is there a way to use saved search lists on the iPhone? Right now, the iPhone list is a bit more cluttered up than the web browser list.
Folke X

They are not available on the iPhone, but are said to be on the list of planned improvements.
pjlewis

Posted: Sep 12, 2011
I have been struggling to ignore future events in Toodledo as well and so am interested in this thread.

I understand that saved searches may be a workaround for some, but without support on the iphone app, together with the volatility of folders and contexts in my use, this is not really suitable for me (or others I suspect). I don't want to have to keep creating / updating saved searches as I go.... Better would be a way to filter tasks uniformly across all my views, which seems to have been the intention with the Future Tasks tick-box.

I would like to see more options around the Future Tasks tick-box. Values < 1 month, with less opaqueness around what this means for due by, due after etc would be beneficial to the online and iphone apps. Why couldn't we have a 0 value to mean "filter all future tasks"?

Just a thought..... Phil.
craig1f

I think that will get extremely hairy from a complexity point of view, since you can already do this with a saved search and it accomplishes exactly the same thing. Better to just update the iPhone app to have access to all your saved searches than to add a new setting.

It seems like the power-users all believe that everything revolves around saved-searches. So if the iPhone simply has access to them, then everyone will be happy.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011.
Salgud

Posted by craig1f:
I think that will get extremely hairy from a complexity point of view, since you can already do this with a saved search and it accomplishes exactly the same thing. Better to just update the iPhone app to have access to all your saved searches than to add a new setting.

It seems like the power-users all believe that everything revolves around saved-searches. So if the iPhone simply has access to them, then everyone will be happy.

I think "extremely hairy" is somewhat of an exaggeration. I've been wondering how I would set up TD for when I get my next iPhone this winter. There are a number of iPhone apps that sync with TD (Android too, though I don't pay attention to them). I have been wondering how I'll use one of those apps and still have separate "Home" and "Work" task lists as I do now, without access to Saved Searches. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I figured it out this weekend. I'm using TD Slim as my test app because I can access that directly through the browser, so if I can make a system work with that, I figure it'll work with any of the iPhone apps.

Up to now, I've been using "Starred" as my daily list of tasks, with Saved Searches for "Work - Starred" and "Home - Starred". This works fine for now, but obviously won't if I don't have Saved Searches on the iPhone. But I've been using "Next Action" status as a staging tool to mark those tasks which I think I'll be working on soon, then starring them when ready. But I've also realized I don't really need this extra step in my process, so I just Star them now.

So for the iPhone, I could set my Hotlist settings to "0 days in advance" and "Next Action" to see my Work task list, and use "Starred" for my Home task list. Problem solved.

While this may by a bit convoluted, it's certainly not even close to "extremely hairy". This is one of the many things I love about TD. It's so flexible, you can make it do just about anything you like, except maybe fry eggs. You have to know the software pretty well, and you have to not-take-too-seriously the labels the developers have chosen for the features. I think this is where a lot of people get hung-up. If you think a label is carved in stone and sacred, you limit yourself and TD to minimal capabilities. If you decide that Status "Waiting" really means "everything I intended to do while in Biloxi but didn't get done", that's what it means for you. The labels are just labels, nothing more.

I agree that TD should get Saved Searches onto the iPhone, definitely. But they have thousands of enhancements on their task list, and who knows how soon it will happen. To me, better to come up with a good workaround that gives me what I need today, or in this case, soon, than to wait what could well be months before they get to this particular feature.
simon

It's so flexible, you can make it do just about anything you like, except maybe fry eggs.

I'm going to search the forums and the help files, I simply refuse to believe that Toodledo can't fry eggs. It's just got to be there somewhere.
Salgud

Posted by simon:
It's so flexible, you can make it do just about anything you like, except maybe fry eggs.

I'm going to search the forums and the help files, I simply refuse to believe that Toodledo can't fry eggs. It's just got to be there somewhere.

I've tried, but it only cooks fried eggs, and I like mine scrambled. :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
At this time, because of a technical decision we made several years ago, it is not possible to scramble eggs, but this is on our to-do list to evaluate again in the future. I can't comment on an ETA, but you could use a 3rd party tool if you need this feature now :)
Salgud

Just the same ole put-off we always get in these forums! ;)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Our records indicate that scrambled eggs are used by less than 2.3% of our users, so this is a low priority item for us. Sorry.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Back to the topic, we do acknowledge that there can be better customizations around when future tasks are hidden/shown and we are trying to find a solution that will work for everyone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.