ForumsQuestionsWow, I am loving the improvements

Wow, I am loving the improvements
User

Posted: Oct 21, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
So I had been using Toodledo on the web for a while but REALLY didn't like the UI. Nirvana (web-based task manager) came along and I was happy. I loved the clean interface and it worked great. But the reliance on an Internet connection and the few updates were bringing me down, so I knew it wasn't permanent.

So I started hopping around again for a new GTD app and remembered Toodledo's horrendous (sorry, lol) interface. Doubtful there would be an update, I checked anyway and wow... you guys have been busy! I then checked for an iPad version (which apparently I had bought on an iPod a long time ago), installed it, and it works beautifully. Tasks and notes sync perfectly and are easy to add and edit, and I'm very pleased with the new UI. It's clean, easy on the eyes, and very responsive.

Thank you for your continued efforts in improving Toodledo. I've finally stopped searching for a permanent GTD app.
Folke X

Posted: Oct 22, 2011
Toodledo is way ahead of anything I've tried in terms of its sheer number of features and "tweakability". It is far from complete, that's for sure, but most other task managers are significantly less complete.

The advantage of GTD apps such as Nirvana, Smartytask, Conqu and so on is that they manage to produce approximately the same usefulness straight out-of-the box with only a fraction of the features, mainly because the menu and displays are set up in a more directly useful and user-friendly way - if you want GTD, that is. And probably there are other apps out there that are better straight out-of-the-box for those who are more the "scheduling" kind or the "project manager" kind. The disadvantage of these apps usually is that if you are not quite satisfied with what they offer out-of-the-box they cannot be tweaked as extensively as Toodledo.

The strength and weakness of Toodledo is its very "computerish" "general data base" approach - "Here's a bunch of fields for you; you can view by this or view by that or view by that, whatever you like, and if that's not good enough for you you can play with your stuff in a sandbox called Search". To some (apparently) the default lists are just what they want (e.g. sort by due date etc).

But it seems that GTDers, project managers, schedulers and other "categories" of users have more specific visions of how they would like it. They ignore the default lists and set up their own system within the system, using saved searches to get more pertinent functionality than just listing and sorting the tasks by one particular field at a time.

I personally believe, and I've said so before, that Toodledo could increase its popularity by allowing users to design their own left-side menu by being able to put their own saved searches in there at the top and move the others out. That should be relatively simple.

Another move, a larger and more difficult one, but potentially more rewarding at the same time, would be to make Toodledo more intuitively appealing to more people by having a few complete out-of-the-box Settings options for the entire left menu. The current "database" menu (Toodledo Classic menu) could be one, and there could also be a GTD menu, a project management menu, etc, along with basic get-started tips to new users for each one of these menus as regards its intended use and pros and cons (compared to the other available menus), what fields to use for what, what lists to display when doing what, etc.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2011.
PeterW 

Posted: Oct 25, 2011
Posted by User:
So I had been using Toodledo on the web for a while but REALLY didn't like the UI. Nirvana (web-based task manager) came along and I was happy. I loved the clean interface and it worked great. But the reliance on an Internet connection and the few updates were bringing me down, so I knew it wasn't permanent.

Interesting post!

I've had a Nirvana beta test account for some time and check out the forums over there occasionally to gauge progress. I like what they're doing but it's been very slow to develop. I also like that they listen to suggestions, think about them and debate pros/cons with users, and often implement the good ones along with their own development ideas.

The problem is that there is still a long way to go and they go quiet for periods of time - I assume it must be an issue of resources.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.