ForumsQuestionsNumber of subtasks next to a parent task?

Number of subtasks next to a parent task?
bitschnau

Posted: Oct 27, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I enjoy Toodledo a lot (will there be a UI update in the future? ;)), because it's so configurable and flexible.

What I really miss is a signal, if a parent task (Projects in my task management) has subtasks or not. I use the star as a signal for "No Subtasks" (No "Next Actions" in GTD), but I have to do this manually and might miss something sometimes. With the number of subtasks next to the parent task I could get rid of the star and see the on sight, which project needs attention.

Best regards,

b1tchnow

edit: Just the second I posted this, I had the idea, to use a search to identify parent tasks without subtasks.

I use a "+" in the task name for project names, so I can search for "Tasks contains +" AND "Task has subtasks NO" to identify projects with no next actions. This helps in the meantime, but maybe you can take my suggestion and think about it.

Another Idea is to mark tasks as projects and and highlight them different (blue background or something like this) like it's possible with Appigo.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2011.
Salgud

Posted: Oct 27, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by b1tchnow:
Hi,

I enjoy Toodledo a lot (will there be a UI update in the future? ;)), because it's so configurable and flexible.

There was a major UI redo just a few months ago (Aug?), so probably not another for a while.

What I really miss is a signal, if a parent task (Projects in my task management) has subtasks or not. I use the star as a signal for "No Subtasks" (No "Next Actions" in GTD), but I have to do this manually and might miss something sometimes. With the number of subtasks next to the parent task I could get rid of the star and see the on sight, which project needs attention.

TD doesn't see a task as a parent task unless it has subtasks, so there's no way for TD to mark it as such. When you give it subtasks, TD does mark it as a parent (the strange little mini org chart just to the left of the task name). Before that, it might be a "parent task" to you because you intended it to be that, but TD doesn't know what you're intending to do, only what you've done.

Best regards,

b1tchnow

edit: Just the second I posted this, I had the idea, to use a search to identify parent tasks without subtasks.

I use a "+" in the task name for project names, so I can search for "Tasks contains +" AND "Task has subtasks NO" to identify projects with no next actions. This helps in the meantime, but maybe you can take my suggestion and think about it.

Another Idea is to mark tasks as projects and and highlight them different (blue background or something like this) like it's possible with Appigo.

You're going to have to keep marking your intended "parent tasks" if you don't add subtasks immediately so you know which ones they are. TD can't tell you that.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.