ForumsQuestionsAll data gone!!

All data gone!!
simon

Posted: Nov 03, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Oh dear, big disaster!
I decided to give Pocket Informant another try and somehow, whilst fiddling with some settings, I wiped all the data from my Toodledo account. I went straight to TD and made a backup and that file appeared to contain data. I tried restoring from that file but, although the pop up info window showed that the file contained 600+ tasks, etc., the restoration hasn't worked. I still have no tasks.
I have also submitted a support ticket but, any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Simon
Salgud

So I'm guessing you haven't been doing any regular backups before this happened?
Purveyor

Posted by simon:
I tried restoring from that file but, although the pop up info window showed that the file contained 600+ tasks, etc., the restoration hasn't worked. I still have no tasks.

It seems that your tasks are in your backup file but you're having a problem restoring the data.
Is the backup file XML or CSV? What do you see when you open the file on your computer?
simon

Posted by Salgud:
So I'm guessing you haven't been doing any regular backups before this happened?

Salgud I think you missed the point. I did a backup, did the restore, still no data

It seems that your tasks are in your backup file but you're having a problem restoring the data.
Is the backup file XML or CSV? What do you see when you open the file on your computer?

Purveyor thanks, that's how it appeared, however...
I realised that the data that appeared to be in the backup file was in fact old, completed tasks that were stored so actually, my data had been wiped. Meanwhile I did have a fairly recent backup (just a few days) so not too much damage done and a lesson reinforced.

Note: Salgud, when someone says on this forum 'I've lost my data' the last thing he needs is 'You should've backed up' ;-)

This message was edited Nov 03, 2011.
Purveyor

Good news!

What is the lesson?
Don't waste time with other apps? ;)
Salgud

@simon

You indicated you backed up after PI had apparently deleted your data. I was thinking that maybe you had backed up prior to this and forgot. Or something. Apparently not.

I suggest what once you're up and running again, you add a task to back up your TD regularly.
simon

Posted by Salgud:
@simon

You indicated you backed up after PI had apparently deleted your data. I was thinking that maybe you had backed up prior to this and forgot. Or something. Apparently not.

I suggest what once you're up and running again, you add a task to back up your TD regularly.

I'm ahead of you, already done!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, it is a good idea to backup your data before trying out a 3rd party app. It sounds like you did the backup after the data was deleted, which obviously didn't work. I am glad that you had an older backup that was usable.

Please contact Pocket Informant to tell them about the problem so that they can fix it.

This message was edited Nov 03, 2011.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.