ForumsQuestionsToodledo for Attorneys

Toodledo for Attorneys
tom_1321112018

Posted: Nov 18, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I am struggling with the initial set up for Toodledo in my office. The natural organization of the office is based on files or cases. I understand that the GTD-based set up in Toodledo is oriented slightly differently. However, I would like to set up my entries so that they can be searched by a case name. For example, I would like to be able to do a search that shows me the next actions I need to do for the XXXXX case, or all of the various projects underway associated with the YYYY case, or the various delegated tasks associated with the ZZZZ case. I like Proximo's search template to show the overall next items I need to be doing, but I would still like to have items "tagged" with whatever case it is that they are associated with. I cannot seem to figure out how to wedge that case association into the available fields. Any thoughts? Any other videos or discussions out there showing how attorneys (primarily litigation attorneys) have used the program?
Thanks.
-Tom Stubbs
Decatur, GA
shoya84

Sounds like each "case" roughly maps to a "project" in GTD terms. Much has been written here about how to handle projects. The two most common ideas I've read are (1) to create a folder for each project/case to hold its associated tasks, or (2) to make each project/case a parent task and all of its associated tasks into subtasks. A third idea would be to put something in the "tag" field to match each task to its cases. A fourth would be to use a similar short, searchable code in the title of each task to indicate which case it belongs to.
Salgud

The most obvious choice would be the Tags field, depending on whether or not you have other uses for that field and would it complicate tags too much. A second choice might be Folders, again, unless you have other plans for Folders. You choice also depends on how many cases you have going at one time. If you have lots of them, like more than 15, Tags are probably better.

You could also go with Goals or even Locations, since both of these allow any text entry. A number of people here use "Goals" as "Projects", so using them for Case Nos. would be similar.
tom_1321112018

Thanks. I think the tag field will be our answer. We have too many matters to use folders for the cases, although that is tempting. Using tags also lets me use folders for something closer to the folder categories outlines GTD.
JPR

Posted: Nov 19, 2011
I think tags is a bad idea for your application.

The key benefit (and only benefit!) of the tag field is that you can apply multiple tags to a task, which is not what you need. I'm guessing 99% of your tasks will only need one case tag, so you are better off going with a different field, a mutually exclusive one. The tag field as implemented in Toodledo has some limitations which will annoy you; particularly if you have a lot cases. Tags are not sorted alphabetically, either in the field entry drop-down or the tag view. You cannot edit tag names or delete them directly. As implemented, it is very easy to create stray tags. The tag list is quirky in the way it is updated. Do a search for "tags" in these forums if you need more info.

If you are already using Folders and Contexts, I'd suggest the Location field. You can use just the location description, and not enter any location coordinates... you also get the bonus of an extra note field for any misc case info you desire. When inputing tasks, you can only enter one case/location per task. You can edit your case list via the Organize > Locations menu.

As you are playing with different configs, you should familiarize yourself with the backup feature (Tools > Import and Export > Backup / Restore) and the multi-edit feature available from the Search tab. Toodledo makes it very easy to play with different setups with those two tools. Good luck.
tom_1321112018

Posted: Nov 19, 2011
Helpful thoughts. I will give it some thought.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.