ForumsQuestionsCSV export with multiline note

CSV export with multiline note
dm3

Posted: Feb 09, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

there was a similar question already touching this problem:

I use the CSV export function to get my tasks and import them into other programs such as Excel.
Some tasks contain multiline notes.
For these tasks multiline entires are generated in the CSV file.
I don't know if this is supported by csv file format.
in any case CSV files can't be imported to Excel properly.
Other programs behave simlar.
I don't want to do delete multiline notes before exporting the tasks. ;-)
Any idea how to handle this problem?

Regards

Uli

This message was edited Feb 09, 2012.
dm3

Small addition:
I'm working with Windows ;-).
If I create a multiline cell in Excel and export it as a CSV, first line(s) of the multine are closed with a <lf> at the end, last line with closing " is closed with <cr><lf>.
Toodledo export file closes all lines with <lf>, i.e. Excel lacks an indicator whether a line is part of a single line or multiline.

Uli

This message was edited Feb 09, 2012.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
After doing some research and experimentation, I think we have solved the problem. We were using LF as a new line indicator. By switching to CRLF we were able to import multi-line notes into Excel, and we didn't see any adverse affect from making this change. Please try exporting from Toodledo and import into Excel again and let us know if that helped.
dm3

Posted: Feb 10, 2012
Hi,

thanks for your help.
But it doesn't work for me.
Obviously this is a general problem with multiline comments and how they are treated in different programs.
I found out that the program I'm usually using to modify csv files (CSVed) does not recognize embedded line feeds.
My experience with Excel: If I save a file in csv format
semicolon is used as delimiter, quotes are only used for multiline notes.
With these conditions multiline notes can be imported to Excel.
I haven't checked what happens if other columns contain embedded quotes, semicolons etc.

Perhaps you could add a checkbox to your csv export menu to select if notes should be exported from TD or not.

Uli
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 10, 2012
With the change that we made, we are now exporting our CSV file according to the official spec (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180) which says that fields with embedded newlines need to be quoted and newlines need to be CRLF. This is what we are doing. In my testing with Excel, this exported from Toodledo and imported straight into Excel correctly. Perhaps the problem is with the program that you are using to edit the file before importing it into Excel.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.