ForumsQuestionsDate Stamp

Date Stamp
robertm

Posted: Feb 10, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I generate a lot of remarks in the "Note" field on the web app, it would be a great help to have an automatic date stamp generated for every entry I make. Maybe even a toggle to turn it off and on. I don't see any provision for this, am I missing something?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 10, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jeremy

Posted: Feb 13, 2009
In most incident-tracking systems that I've used, there is a "comments" section where you can add one comment at a time. Past comments are displayed but are not editable. So you get a trail of multiple comment entries, each one with a timestamp, and in a multi-user environment each entry would indicate the username that made the entry.

Currently Toodledo uses a free-form notes field, which doesn't work so well with the above scenario.

For corporate work such as customer support, I think the first solution is required. However, I kind of like the simplicity of Toodledo's free-form field. I am curious if there is a way to reach a happy medium between the two designs. I haven't thought of one yet.
sventhebrit

Posted: Feb 13, 2009
@Sheep-Dog
Have you thought about using Autohotkey to do this. You can programme a hotstring so that when you type "dt" it would immediately transpose in to the current time
ie. 13 Feb 2009 10:26 PM

You can get details of the package from www.autohotkey.com and a sample script you could use would be

:*:dt::
FormatTime, CurrentDateTime,, dd MMM yyyy hh:mm tt
SendInput %CurrentDateTime%
return

It is a very useful tool. If you are thinking of taking a look, then check out http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm for a quick start. The script I included above was taken from the http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotstrings.htm webpage (I have modified it slightly).

Steve
Proximo

Posted: May 06, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I would also like to suggest this as a very useful feature. I understand that you can make it work with Autohotkey and I want to thank sventhebrit for pointing this out.

For most users, this is something that would not be easy or convenient for them to implement.

The reason a simple time stamp button would be great is very simple and has already been described by Sheep-Dog.

A time stamp is useful to keep updates on a particular task so that you can refer back to it later. I have a task that although may be a little complicated, it does not qualify as a Project. It's nice to keep a log of the progress of such task and a time stamp would make every new log entry very useful.

I have a task that requires some feedback from someone else. It does not have multi-steps, but I do need to wait on someone's input at certain times to eventually compete it.

The time stamp will show me when the last update was made and remind the individual that I am needing the information from about it.

"Hey Bob, I know you are busy with other things at the moment, but I really need the information I asked you about on 04/12/2009. Could you please let me know your thoughts"

Right now we are having to start every new text entry with a manually typed date and it get's old quick.

The time stamp button will simply put the current date and time where the cursor is.

please consider it.

thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 06, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
Erik

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
Hi,

This feature would be extremely useful for our company aswell! Not having to bother manually adding time and date.

thanks,

erik
Erik

Posted: Aug 25, 2009
Also need to add that we use the iphone app aswell...need datestamp there too. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.