ForumsQuestionsDue Date on Parent Task

Due Date on Parent Task
Identity Lab

Posted: Mar 13, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

Been a long time Toodledo "Free" user and just upgraded to a "Pro" account.

Working with parent and sub tasks is great (and functional).

I have one query and I can not find an answer on the forums (searches only reveal old locked threads, and no solution) about Due Date on Parent Tasks.

I always have my task view set to "Main" and sorted by "Due Date". This perfectly groups tasks with a grey bar heading - ie: "Due Today", "Due Tomorrow", etc.

A pretty common setup, I'm sure.

Problem:
When I have a parent task without a due date and it's sub tasks all with a due date, the parent task is hidden at the bottom of the screen under "No Due Date".

Without changing sort order criteria to "Task/Subtask" (which removes my important "Due Today", "Due Tomorrow" grey bars) is there a way to have the parent (and grouped subtasks) sit in amongst my task list based on the due date of the earliest sub task. Therefore appearing on the days it needs attention.

This is a crucial tasks management issue, so tasks are not missed with the parent pulling all sub tasks under "No Due Date". It seem odds and unintuitive to try any continually remember to update the Parent's due date, just to have the group sit where it should in the list.

Thank you!
From a 99% happy new Pro user! :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 13, 2012
It is not currently possible to have a parent task automatically get the soonest duedate of its subtasks, although this is a frequent request that is on our to-do list for a future update. In the meantime, you can either update the parent manually or switch between subtasks flattened and subtasks indented to be sure to not miss subtasks that are coming up soon.
JPR

Posted: Mar 14, 2012
Posted by Organisd:
Without changing sort order criteria to "Task/Subtask" (which removes my important "Due Today", "Due Tomorrow" grey bars) is there a way to have the parent (and grouped subtasks) sit in amongst my task list based on the due date of the earliest sub task. Therefore appearing on the days it needs attention.

Via the show menu in your Main view, set your subtask setting to "Inline" (AKA "flattened"). Each view (Main, Due-Date, Folder etc) will remember it's own show settings. Also not a bad idea to verify your Subtasks setting is "Indented mode shows loose subtasks." You do that via Settings > Tasks.

Your dated subtask will appear on its due date. If you want to view the parent and siblings, just click the parent icon immediately to the left of the subtask description. To return, refresh the view: type "R" if you you have keyboard shortcuts enabled or hit F5.

If you are a heavy user of subtasks, I highly recommend you set the Search view Show setting to "Indented" and keep it there. Now, if you ever want to quickly isolate a parent & subtasks you can click on the action arrow (dark circle with the arrow) of the parent and click "Permanent Link". This will open a Search view with only that Parent and its subtasks. Very handy.
Identity Lab

Posted: Mar 15, 2012
Thank you for the update! Would love to see this feature.

JPR - Good advice, thank you too! I'm now keyboard switching between my "Main" view with inline subtasks (correctly ordering with dates) and "Folder" view with parents and sub tasks grouped to top of page. Nice and simple :)
pablolatona

Posted: Jun 08, 2012
Posted by Toodledo:
It is not currently possible to have a parent task automatically get the soonest duedate of its subtasks, although this is a frequent request that is on our to-do list for a future update. In the meantime, you can either update the parent manually or switch between subtasks flattened and subtasks indented to be sure to not miss subtasks that are coming up soon.

This has been a known issue for over 4 years! And yes it's an issue, not a feature request.

Can you please give some idea of when this might be fixed?

I'm currently on my Pro trial, and probably won't be subscribing due to this one silly issue.
Salgud

Seems kind of silly, don't you think?
JPR

One man's "known issue" is another man's "feature request". (and one I don't even want) When they do implement this, I sure hope it's optional, because this would screw up my project management system in some pretty silly ways.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.