ForumsQuestionsCalendars, multiple devices, multiple platforms, no duplicates

Calendars, multiple devices, multiple platforms, no duplicates
symowallo

Posted: Apr 03, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
HI all,

I am using the following:
- Win 7 with office 2010 (and Outlook-company exchange server with activesync to the iphone). I don't use Outlook tasks (that's what ToodleDo is for!)
- iPhone 4
- ANdroid tablet (Motorola Xoom)-using Google Calendar and synching Exchange calendar as well
- Another Win 7 laptop

I'm using ToodleDo for iOS on the iphone, web interface on Windows and I'll probably go with UTDL or PI on the Android.

My question is about calendars. How do you get all the calendars working together? I use Outlook for meetings both work and personal (via iphone or Outlook) and I'd like the ToodleDo tasks to appear in the calendar. Obviously tasks aren't as hard-lined as meetings, but if a task is due today and has a reminder set, it should appear in my calendar - even if it's at midnight since there's no time attached to it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question, and I know there's plenty of posts about this but not exactly the same question. My (thought of) solution is to use the ical as the definitive, since that should synch to Exchange, and synch the tablet to the exchange calendar as well. Or should I use google calendar as the source of truth... Interested in hearing from others with the same type of setup.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded question! I only just subscribed but want to get this right before trusting my life to this...
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 03, 2012
Having one calendar is a bit like the holy grail, isn't it?

It seems to me that some compromises are needed to achieve this but it's been a while since I last checked so I'm not sure if there's now an easy way if your data is a number of places.

My situation is or was similar... Win7 at work with Outlook 2010 on Exchange sycing to iPhone4. At home I was running a WinVista laptop and had ditched Outlook in favour of Google. I really liked the cloud as it mean that it was all accessible at work without needing my laptop.

I liked the iPhone experience so much (after Win mobile phones) that I decided to switch over to a Macbook Pro at home and therefore moved all my personal mail and calendar data from Google over to iCloud. This was a good move - now all my personal calendar, mail and contact data syncs automatically from Mac to iPhone and vice versa.

However I don't have a combined calendar on my Mac - the iPhone is what I use to see everything in the one place and that works fine for me. I haven't bothered trying to get all my work calendar data onto my Mac - just not worth it for me. And I don't try to put my tasks onto the calendar either - again it's just not worth it, too much clutter etc.

I am guessing with the consistent rise in popularity of the Mac that Micro$oft will have to enable better integration with Exchange at some point.
symowallo

Posted: Apr 04, 2012
Thanks PeterW.

It's not so much about having a single calendar, but more so having an organised calendar. On my tablet, for example, I can see multiple calendars all at once, so having multiples isn't so bad.

The main concern I have is getting double ups of tasks reminders and so on. I firmly believe in not using the calendar for tasks other than reminders and "What's on today" lists of tasks, similar to the way Outlook shows you the list of today's due tasks when you open the day view. Having some sort of integration like that would be great - without having to worry about whether adding it will result in in synching properly... Know what I mean?
PeterW 

Posted: Apr 04, 2012
OK, I know what you mean. Not sure if you'll get double-up reminders etc - guess you can just test a few scenarios and see what transpires. It's definitely worth avoiding - at one point I had multiple reminders setup on Toodledo (SMS, email and Twitter, just because I could) until I realised that it was driving me mad so I turned them all off. Now I just rely on the device (iPhone) reminder and nothing else.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.