ForumsQuestionsFeature Request - Floating Dates and Snooze

Feature Request - Floating Dates and Snooze
geoffrey

Posted: Mar 16, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
Hey there guys....was wondering if you have ever thought of allowing a check box to allow a task due date to be floating, or auto-following. I had an old to-do list that implemented this and it was awesome. If I missed a due date the task would automatically float to the next day. If i didnt complete a task on monday it automatically became due on tuesday..and then on wednesday if i didnt complete it....you get the point.

I understand some people might not want this for all tasks..that's why i suggest a check box to turn the feature on and off.

The same program also had snooze buttons that allowed me to snooze to tomorrow, next week, two weeks, or next month. Would love to see something like that. This one is super easy to implement as it's a simple ui widget like a combo or drop down button...

It might have been pocket informant on the palm that did these things..and i loved it.

Other than the fact that it is clear that i have a problem with procrastination what are your thoughts on these?
Claudio

Posted: Mar 16, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi geoffrey.

"Floating" is a way of having a Calendar event behave like a Task.

Your uncompleted Toodledo tasks will always "float", but they'll be overdue until you change the due date.

A "Snooze" button makes sense if the task has an alarm, which is not the case with Toodledo tasks. But, it would still be nice to have an easier way of moving a task into the future by using a dropdown (with Tomorrow, Next Week, etc.) in addition to using a calendar. (Appigo's ToDo iPhone app has something like this.)
geoffrey

Posted: Mar 23, 2009
Yeah, sometimes i dont want it to tell me it's overdue, i just want it to float....check box please.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2009.
saskia.x

Posted: Mar 24, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I used to think I wanted this feature, but now I actually prefer it the way it is. I have a tendency to procrastinate too, and although it seems more satisfying to avoid being confronted by hundreds of "overdue" tasks, it just perpetuates the procrastinating behaviour if it's too easy to put things off until tomorrow!!

Setting due dates more thoughtfully helps a great deal in reducing the number of "overdue" tasks; it's easy to be overoptimistic about when you are likely to have things done by. Personally, I use a combination of due dates and priority to represent when I hope to have the task done by and how essential it is to have the task done by that date (so priority 3 dated tasks are important tasks with absolute deadlines, whilst priority 1 represents just a guideline date for a moderately important task or a very unimportant task with a fixed deadline), and then sort by importance (which combines these fields, plus stars). I don't focus too much on the due date after that; the overdue status just represents the fact that I would have liked to have done the task by now. Importance sorting does a pretty good job of prioritising things for me once I've set these fields.

Having said that, there is a workaround to your initial problem. If you make the task a daily repeating task & put a ? in front of the date it will automatically reschedule to the next day if it doesn't get done. It's not perfect, and doesn't really work if the task is already repeating at a larger interval, but it achieves the desired effect of making the task show up as due today rather than overdue.
Aamy

Posted: May 25, 2009
[Deleted for cross posting in over a dozen topics. Please stay on topic and don't spam.]

This message was edited May 25, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.