ForumsQuestionsToodledo on iPhone needs polish

Toodledo on iPhone needs polish
shanebdavis

Posted: Mar 30, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Most of the app is very polished and intuitive - except the New and Edit task screens:

1) New and Edit task screens should use the same UI - they don't. The priority widget is completely different. The New screen has overlays for editing most fields, the Edit screen has slide-right screens. The New screen has a window for editing your notes as part of the form, the Edit screen has a button to add/read the note. The "star" is in a completely different location. Be consistent! My prefs: New-screen priority-widget, Edit-screen slide-right-screens Edit screen "star", New-screen "note".

1a. The edit-screen slide-right screens for text fields like the title use a non-standard, too-small font. Use the standard iphone font. For fields with longer text, like the title screen, give us a multi-line edit interface.

2) When creating a new task you start immediately editing the title (reasonable, but I'd prefer to see all the fields and choose which one I edit first). When editing the title in the "new" screen there is a "done" button in the lower right corner and a "save" button in the top right. When you click "save" it exits the whole form. I am constantly pressing this when I mean I'm done editing the title and ready to edit the other fields. In the standard iphone apps (like contacts) when editing a field there is the same "save" button in the upper right hand corner, but it just returns you to the form when you are done. When I click Save in toodledo, it exits the whole form instead of just exiting editing the current field.

2a. After I finished editing the title, if I an viewing my hotlist while making the task, and if I haven't set a due date of today, the task isn't visible after I press "save". I have to go hunting in all tasks sorted by date-created to find the task I just created and hadn't finished editing. Which leads me to:

3) No matter where you were when you clicked "add task", when you save it, you should see your task in the list -OR- there should be one-click button you can use to see the tasks you've created recently. (and then return to where ever you were browsing when you are done)

4) The due-date interface desperately needs to be a calendar. The roll-interface is painful. Usually my due dates are something like "next Monday" - I have to fidget for a while to figure out what the date is for next monday. Worse - when we are at the end of the month, I have to fiddle with the month column in addition to the date column.

5) For the due-date field there should be a shortcut to set the due-date to today.

6) The "Repeat day-of-the-week" interface is clunky. What you can do with it is great - good feature set! The day-of-the-week option should just be 7 boxes in a line that looks just like the iCal calendar week. Click a box to toggle it on/off. It glows when it is on. It should look very similar to the standard Calendar app's calendar UI.

7) I hate that I paid for the app but I have to pay another $15 (3x as much!) just to get sub-tasks. This is unacceptable. I can understand paying for the website sync feature, but I don't personally care about that. Any in-app features like sub-tasks should be standard when you buy it for the iPhone.

I don't want to be too negative. I love the app - which is why I've gone to the effort of writing up these few remaining nagging shortcomings. I am a iPhone developer as well and sympathize how some bits of polish get forgotten when trying to get things out the door, but that polish is what really makes a difference - which is why we all pennied up the extra $$$ for an iPhone in the first place :).

P.S. Hint to Toodledo author: put the word "todo" in the app-store description - Toodledo doesn't come up when you search for "todo"! The only way I found it was in a review of Remember-the-milk!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 30, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions!
frossie

Posted: Mar 31, 2009
Posted by shanebdavis:

7) I hate that I paid for the app but I have to pay another $15 (3x as much!) just to get sub-tasks. This is unacceptable. I can understand paying for the website sync feature, but I don't personally care about that. Any in-app features like sub-tasks should be standard when you buy it for the iPhone.

But toodledo isn't an iphone app - it is primarily a web service that runs on a subscription model. I don't find it unreasonable that there is a small flat fee for the iphone app, but an annual subscription service for the full functionality of the web service. Something has to keep these guys in catfood, and it's not the iphone app that will do it (extrapolating from what other iphone developers have said publically about the iphone revenue stream, anyway).

Everything seems to be above board to me - you have the basic functionality on the website for free, you can pay a one-off very modest fee for the iPhone native app that syncs to the web service, and you can pay a reasonable subscription for the full functionality. I don't see anything evil here.

(I agree with many of your UI comments, FWIW)

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.