ForumsQuestionsUnique reference for tasks

Unique reference for tasks
TENE

Posted: Oct 14, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Hi, is it possible to have a unique reference for each task? This is probably already there as a database field/value.

This would be useful when referring to tasks used in meetings or in a group of individuals.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you click on the action icon (circle with arrow inside) and select the "permanent link" option, it will open that task in a page all by itself. If you then look at the URL, the task's ID number will be listed.
TENE

Is it possible to display this value in a task list?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 15, 2013
It is not currently possible to do this.You could use the "tag" field and make your own unique ids if you need something like this.
hadstockmail-web

Posted: Oct 18, 2013
Posted by Jake:
It is not currently possible to do this.You could use the "tag" field and make your own unique ids if you need something like this.

Well thanks for the answer to a question that I also wanted answered. But I don't want to make my own ID's - I just want a Unique ID - any old one will do.

If I'm following you right using the TD ones would be a lot of work:
-action icon
-go to permanent link area of the URL box
-copy ID number
-paste in tag field.

Given that TD has already assigned a unique ID to each task (hooray - just what I wanted), couldn't it be an optional choice for the Tag field to AUTOMATICALLY display the ID?

I for one would switch on this option like a shot. And if the ID in the Tag box was a live link, then WOW ...
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 18, 2013
Please don't take this personally, but having the unique ID appear in one of the columns feels like something that only a very very small number of people would find useful. Unless I am proved wrong in these forums, this is something that we are going to pass on. But I appreciate your enthusiasm for Toodledo. I hope that the current solutions will work for you.
hadstockmail-web

Posted: Oct 19, 2013
Jake
Thanks for prompt response. I take your point - we'll let democracy rule.

Re my enthusiasm for TD - you probably don't know the half of it! I'm a newcomer to TD itself, but I learned to program in the mid 1960s. I have for a long time now divided programs/apps into those that you KNOW it's worth looking for a feature or function because they're so well thought out, it's bound to be there somewhere; and those programs that you know it's not even worth calling up the Help pages to look.
TD is firmly in the first category - I was productive in just he way I wanted in ten minutes flat (apart from the ID field! and as you say there is a workaround)).
Keep it up - and thanks to all the team.
Chris
Salgud

Posted: Oct 21, 2013
Posted by hadstockmail-web:
I'm a newcomer to TD itself, but I learned to program in the mid 1960s.
Chris

Didn't know there were any others around. I wrote my first code in engineering school in 1966. Learned Fortran in 67. Been working with computers in one capacity or another since.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.