ForumsQuestionsLong time user, 4 current needs

Long time user, 4 current needs
krsnet

Posted: Jan 07, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
I've been with Toodledo forever and its always been close to exactly what I need. I've spent time with every (and yes...I mean every....the amount of money and time spent looking for "perfect" has really killed my productivity...) app/servicer and Toodledo is the closest.

My main problems that I hope someone has an answer for (or that ToodleDo is preparing a solution for) are:

1) Start Date does not influence the Hotlist. I desperately want a view list Hotlist that includes the current ToodleDo configuration settings PLUS the Start Date. I want a view that shows everything overdue (never happens ;), due, and things I'm supposed to be working on for any given day. Appigo has this part right, but they don't allow sorting/grouping the list by context (I have a context per company/facility that I'm responsible for). I would think adding the start date to the hotlist options would be relatively simple other than rolling the support through the many official ToodleDo apps on different systems.

2) Subtasks are still a little kludgy - especially on the iPad/iPhone apps. Most 3rd party or non-ToodleDo apps (e.g. OmniFocus, Appigo, etc...) handle the display of subtasks/projects much better. The way ToodleDo generates displayed task lists appears to be the limitation. An elegant solution would be to do a drop-down carat showing the project title that expands in the list to show appropriate subtasks or simpler solution of displaying the subtask in the list with a clear project identifier preceding the subtask (the little branch icon doesn't really help. The current mechanism of going to the task details view, then selecting the line that displays either the "subtasks" or "parent" is too cumbersome. The "repeat" with parent area or modifying the task title to be something like "Project Name : Subtask Name" would be far easier when viewing the task lists.

3) As silly as this one is, for the number of tasks, contexts, etc... I use in my workflow, ability to match colors in the apps/website to contexts, tags, and/or folders would be helpful to quick glances.

4) Selecting a specific folder (or specific anything) is a little cumbersome.

Solutions for those things (and possibly something else minor I'm not thinking about) and I can finally stop jumping between systems. Right now I'm using Appigo ToDo on my devices mainly for non-work tasks where context display is less important, Appigo ToDo on the desktop and iPad for major organization/task entry and updates, and ToodleDo on all devices for the context display.

The next closest app/system that does what I need is OmniFocus, but it has Start Date display issues even in Perspectives.

Any constructive advice or comments about upcoming features?
Jshah0209

Score: 0 Reference
krsnet-

I fully agree re: Substasks. They are kludgy and limiting on the the iOS apps - which is what I use 80% of time these days. I requested these items numerous times with no real response from ToodleDo team.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
For #1, you could make a saved search that has exactly the settings that you want for your custom hotlist.

#2 We know that subtask need some polish and we have some ideas

#3 This is on our todo list

#4 Im not sure I understand how this is cumbersome. Selecting a folder should be 2 clicks. How are you selecting folders?
krsnet

Posted: Jan 08, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
Jake - thanks for reading and replying.

1) I have a saved search setup (a killer feature). The only thing my saved search does different than the Hotlist is add the start date to the usual Hotlist items. To go into detail on the comment:

1a) Getting to the Saved Search on the apps involves very small touch targets. I realize you're trying to get a ton of stuff on the screen, but being an averaged sized human being, I have to really concentrate to get the search I want to display. A better means to navigate (e.g. 1d or last comment in 4) would be nice.

1b) The icon badges and other display mechanisms don't let me select a saved search. The current hotlist count and other selections doesn't mean a whole lot to a user who works mostly off the saved search screen with occasional time in the 'All Tasks', 'Context', Folder, and Tag displays.

1c) Might be just me, but my definition of "Hotlist" is things I need to work on today. An item that has 'started' but isn't due is still something I need to work on today. Adding this would minimize the touch target navigation issue from 1a and task count from 1b at least for me.

1d) Allowing the user to refine the Hotlist as a specific "saved search" could be the easiest answer to all the above and would be useful to all users' needs...

(1e) - The saved search selections are a little hokey... To get what I needed, I had to have "Start date-was in the last-100 days", "Start Date-is in the next-0 days", "Due date-was in the last 100 days", or "Due date-is in the next 0 days" to make the list work. There has to be a simpler way to define "today or earlier".

2) If you want additional end user feedback on the ideas, I'm thinking there's at least 2 potential people interested in helping based on discussion in this thread :)

The subtasks topic and topic #1 are what have made me spend possibly up to $1000 and an amount of time I'm afraid to quantify on different apps/services. ToodleDo has always been my primary service, but I'm continually hunting for something that lets me add 1 & 2 to my existing ToodleDo capabilities. Not an unreasonable, angry threat to leave or anything like that - just want to focus more on getting to do items done and less on how to manage my to do's.

3) I think you had a typo...isn't it your Toodledo list? (really bad but we've been locked in for 5 days due to snow and the polar vortex from hell...for what its worth, this isn't the worst joke we've been throwing around during this extended winter party....)

4) This applies mainly to the iPhone app, but the solution could be useful to some extent on all. Its not the number of taps though in normal use case, it its more than 2 taps (fyi, this exact discussion is common at my company...). Its a combination clutter and touch target accessibility comment. Best way to describe what I mean is a specific example:

If I'm on a task list (worst case is I'm on a saved search) and I have a folder for just groceries shared with my wife. To quickly select the new folder, I have to back out to the Tasks display, find "Folders" on the screen (the color coding might help with finding item...), tap folders, hope the folder I need is in the short list-if not-tap the mini "More" then find the right folder.

Not sure how to describe the comment better than an example like that and I'm really not sure how to resolve it and maintain the flexibility of the app. Configurable colors to help quickly identify areas/objects, slightly larger touch targets, user defined drop down menus / touch targets, etc... are all ideas I'm sure have been kicked around at some point there. From my end of the world, the color for faster identification and a user configurable, one touch access to a "common function" set of touch targets would be my first idea. That way instead of a cluttered, try to be everything for everyone, the user can create a clean simple launch screen. Mine would probably be something like: All Tasks, Hot list (if Hotlist is like 1d), starred, probably 3 folders and maybe a context or two...

edited to add (1e)

This message was edited Jan 08, 2014.
Salgud

Posted by krsnet:
Jake - thanks for reading and replying.

(1e) - The saved search selections are a little hokey... To get what I needed, I had to have "Start date-was in the last-100 days", "Start Date-is in the next-0 days", "Due date-was in the last 100 days", or "Due date-is in the next 0 days" to make the list work. There has to be a simpler way to define "today or earlier".

Not sure what "hokey" means in this context, but have you tried "Due Date|is before|tomorrow"?
krsnet

I don't see a way to select "Due Date - is before - tomorrow." The dialog only lets me pick a date which won't work for a rolling focus list that I can use daily.

I might be missing it, but the only way I could see to define the timeframe was how I described...which is hokey... If there's a less hokeyfied solution, let me know.
Sabina A.

Hi krsnet,

Posted by krsnet:
I don't see a way to select "Due Date - is before - tomorrow." The dialog only lets me pick a date which won't work for a rolling focus list that I can use daily.

I might be missing it, but the only way I could see to define the timeframe was how I described...which is hokey... If there's a less hokeyfied solution, let me know.

You have to actually type in the word "tomorrow".
krsnet

Posted by Sabina A.:
Hi krsnet,

Posted by krsnet:

You have to actually type in the word "tomorrow".

That's no fun. A little cheat sheet on what words can be used when on that screen would un-hokeyfy it for me :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.