ForumsQuestionsBUG: Inconsistent due dates when subtasks repeat with parent

BUG: Inconsistent due dates when subtasks repeat with parent
amf4

Posted: Mar 30, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
I'm trying to set up a set of tasks which repeat regularly but which show up on my schedule at reasonable times by having start/due dates.

I've found that the "With parent" repetition scheme produces completely unpredictable results.

I started with something like:
- Task 1/1 - 1/10 (repeat every 10 days)
-- SubtaskA 1/1 - 1/4
-- SubtaskB 1/2 - 1/5

I expected that the relative difference between the parent due date and subtask due date would be preserved, but on completing the parent, while all subtasks preserved the difference between their start and due dates, most actually repeated so that the subtask due date was after the parent's new due date (though a few did use the expected dates.

Thinking that I was just mistaken on how subtask repetition would work, I then tried something like:
- Task 1/1 - 1/10 (repeat every 10 days)
-- SubtaskA 1/1 - 1/10
-- SubtaskB 1/2 - 1/10

Again, when the parent was marked completed, a few subtasks were set to be due on the parent's new due date, but most were set to be due 10 days after the parent's new due date.

Reading the documentation, my second scheme should definitely have worked, and I think my first should have as well. Having seen how the second failed, I suspect the first fell victim to the same root cause.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 01, 2014
The way "with parent" works is that it takes the way that the parent task is set to repeat and applies it to the subtask. It does not attempt to keep a the same difference between the parent and subtask due-dates. If the parent is set to repeat weekly, then the subtask will also repeat weekly from it's own dates when the parent is completed.

You might look at how you have it set to repeat. Is it "from due-date" or "from completion date" because this makes a difference and may explain your observed behavior.
amf4

Posted: Apr 02, 2014
That was one of the first things I thought of. They're all set from completion date. I have subtasks with the same due date and not marked complete that, after marking the parent as complete, have different due dates.

I believe I saw a comment elsewhere on these forums that said the relative dates should match up, made by someone who was answering a question. I'll see if I can find it again later. I would certainly expect a task which repeats with its parent and has the same due date to still have the same due date as the parent when the parent repeats.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 02, 2014
It you set it to repeat from the due-date it will.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.