ForumsQuestions?s: TD's Google Gadget; TD to Gcal; FireFox AddOn

?s: TD's Google Gadget; TD to Gcal; FireFox AddOn
lite1

Posted: May 13, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Newbie with Pro trial, playing with added features and seeking advice on their use. Using Firefox 3.0.10 on PC running XP Pro. I do not track tasks on a mobile device. While I'll appreciate the input, I'd expect that old timers can skip this thread as they already know all of this.

1) TD official help FAQ suggests installing the TD's Google Gadget which I've done and put on my Goog home page. I find it to be fairly worthless since to see a task I have to scroll horizontally. Since other TD options seem to work better, I'd be fine with uninstalling this one. However if others find it really useful, I'd love to know how you use it and the benefits.

2) Feeds to Gcal seem fine: A) Installed both the Google Calendar feed that puts the check mark on each page. Also the "Live iCal Link" (via Gcal add calendar by URL). For the latter, what are the task characteristics that then will show up? Will those with only a Start Date show? If a Task/Parent does not have any Date at all, but a Subtask does will the Subtask show up? Gcal has yet to refresh my calendar so I'm not sure what I'll see tomorrow.
It seems that TD allows Gcal to pull all tasks and that there isn't anyway to force it to only pull from one or two folders - if it can be limited in some way I'd like to know.

3) The best for last - FireFox Addon: This seems to be very useful and since I almost always have a browser window open, I like the abilities to add tasks.
For the Sidebar: Once you click the blue right facing chevron and move deeper into a choice, how do you move back out one level? Are there any gotchas, in adding Tasks or SubTasks via the SideBar? Is there a hot key to toggle this TD SideBar open/closed in contrast to using the Tool Bar icon?

4) I thought that migrating here from RTM, that I'd value the the wimpy but promising TD internal calendar, and Start Dates; and I do find some value. It seems that Start Date is never connected in anyway to calendar (internal, or feed/export by iCal to Gcal). If that is so, I'd wish it to be otherwise as I certainly like to occasionally Calendar a date as a target for beginning a project even when I do not have a set Due Date. Is there some workaround for this other than giving it a DueDate and perhaps using Start as a Flag so it is clear it is only a Start reminder and then moving the DueDate out in time? I guess as I get more into GTD this will not be an annoyance as I will break the traditional project into next actions and the first of these upon weekly review would be given a Due Date, so I guess I have partially answered my own concern.

Thx for your advice.
Edward

P.S. I believe I read on a thread I can no longer find that many find a GreaseMonkey script to be useful for one or more the features above. I'm just amazed that keeping track of one's life can have so many potential layers of nuance and complexity, and I'm not even playing with a mobile device!

This message was edited May 13, 2009.
Anders

Posted: May 13, 2009
Posted by lite1:
I find it to be fairly worthless since to see a task I have to scroll horizontally. Since other TD options seem to work better, I'd be fine with uninstalling this one.

I don't understand this. I have never even had the option to scroll horizontally. Everything always wraps when necessary to fit within the box. I suppose it could be a difference in our iGoogle, or Firefox settings. Anyway, I never really use the iGoogle gadget on iGoogle because I simply don't have much use for that page. Also, the gadgets are pretty unnecessary IMO if you use the Firefox addon. However, I do have the Toodledo iGoogle gadget enabled on my gmail page, and use it occasionally there. And the gadgets have the advantage of being there regardless of what computer you are using.

For the latter, what are the task characteristics that then will show up?

I believe just the name, start date/time, and due(end) date/time. I had thought that notes showed up somewhere, but can't see it now.

Will those with only a Start Date show? If a Task/Parent does not have any Date at all, but a Subtask does will the Subtask show up?

I don't really use start date without an end date so I'm not sure, but I believe they will show up on that day. Subtasks show up regardless of what's going on with their parent.

It seems that TD allows Gcal to pull all tasks and that there isn't anyway to force it to only pull from one or two folders - if it can be limited in some way I'd like to know.

No way to customize the iCal subscription. It has been suggested here: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/1844/0/publishing-only-a-subset-of-tasks-to-a-calendar.html

Once you click the blue right facing chevron and move deeper into a choice, how do you move back out one level?

You should see above your list a series of choices like Top>Folder>"Folder Name", you can click any that are above the level you are viewing to go back to that level.

Is there a hot key to toggle this TD SideBar open/closed in contrast to using the Tool Bar icon?

At least for me, Firefox automatically assigns hotkeys for toggling all my sidebars. You can see what they are through View->Sidebar. For me Toodledo Sidebar is Alt+Ctrl+S.

~Anders

This message was edited May 13, 2009.
saskia.x

Posted: May 15, 2009
Posted by lite1:

to see a task I have to scroll horizontally.

This doesn't happen in mine either! It should function just like the firefox sidebar extension (all of them are based on the same "slim" interface), so if you are seeing something different in the iGoogle gadget it might be some kind of bug.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.