ForumsQuestionstask sequencing

task sequencing
april.sumner

Posted: Jan 27, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I have checked, but I don't see this feature so I thought maybe someone has some secret that I'm unaware of before I put in a feature request.

I have hundreds of tasks, segregated into folders, and prioritized. While working within a folder, I would like to start the day by estimating time available, prioritizing, and then sequencing my tasks. It's the sequencing that eludes me. So, I end up writing (in shorthand) all my tasks for the day on a separate sheet of paper so I can prioritize them. Does anyone know how to numerically sequence tasks?
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
If you're using sub-tasks (paid account), you can set the option in Settings to manually order sub-tasks. This is about all that is currently available, though dependencies have been long requested.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 29, 2015
Toodledo is great and the most flexible Task Manager available. Two areas of improvement (important to me) are:
1) Ability to sequence the days tasks
2) Tight Google calendar integration (quick task display, movement, deletion)

Priorities and Stars help categorize tasks into a funnel of ever decreasing bucket of tasks (Stars being the smallest bucket. Toodledo however does not allow one to easily Sequence the tasks to be performed for the day (which is the most important arena of real action). I use sub-tasks for breaking down more complex tasks, but not for the Days tasks, as it will pull things out of context. All users practically need is a way to sequence "Starred tasks" only, i.e. tasks planned/selected for the current day, not the entire database. It would really help in focusing and completing on one thing at a time without constantly evaluating all the starred tasks (I have too many starred tasks).

Thanks Jake

This message was edited Jan 29, 2015.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 29, 2015
Posted by coolexplorer:
All users practically need is a way to sequence "Starred tasks" only, i.e. tasks planned/selected for the current day, not the entire database. It would really help in focusing and completing on one thing at a time without constantly evaluating all the starred tasks (I have too many starred tasks).

I avoid speaking for "all users", but this certainly isn't what I need. TD is so flexible and used in so many ways, that's I find it difficult to make any blanket statements. While I'm currently using stars as the final marker for today's list, I'm hoping that when they hire some people and I get done with some projects, I'll be able to go back to using Due Dates, Priorities and Statuses as the final arbiters of today's tasks. I'd still like to be able to manually sort them in order.

I imagine there are many others who use entirely different schemas in TD, as evidenced by the posts in these forums, that would like to be able to manually sort their task lists too. So, hopefully, it won't be limited to Starred tasks, if this feature ever comes to fruition.
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 30, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Salgud, I get your point about different users using TD differently. As you mention above, TD automatically promotes the most important tasks based on Due Dates, Priorities, Status, etc. This works quite well for most of the database as one can promote a particular task into the final bucket i.e. "Hotlist" by changing one of those variables.
Manual sorting (sequencing) is probably most important in the Hotlist (as defined by TD or User-defined based on Custom Searches). I use a custom search Hotlist. I can see that given each users differently defined Custom Search Hotlist it might be difficult to introduce Manual sort (sequencing) only within the Hotlist, it may have to be done for the entire database.

The "elephants in the TD room" (IMO):
(1) The UI (being done)
(2) Manual sequencing of tasks
(3) Google calendar integration (quick task display, movement, deletion)
(4) Visual Logical connection between Roles => Goals => Projects => Tasks, etc.

If these "Elephants in the room" are tackled, TD will continue to remain the best "Power-users Task Manager" and increase its clientele.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.