ForumsQuestionsSome inconsistencies?

Some inconsistencies?
snoozervine

Posted: May 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi I'm new to this so maybe doing something wrong but there seem to be a few inconsistencies in the operation of the various versions of Toodledo and the service as a whole. I'm using the Google Calender addon, the Firefox addon and the iPhone version.

Firstly in the Google calender addon even though I have set it to open on "folders" it always defaults to opening on "Due date" which means for most days I get an empty list. Also ideally I would like to open on all tasks as I rarely set dates anyway - I just use it to remind me of things to be done - but there isn't an option in settings to open on that.

Secondly I just don't get the point of having a hotlist when you can already sort tasks by priority and when there is no way to add it when you make a new task anyway. In fact how do you add things to the Hotlist?

The stars also seem a bit redundant and in the Firefox version there is no method for adding a star anyway in the add new task dialogue.

It's a useful service you have but a few details could do with polishing I think

This message was edited May 14, 2009.
Anders

Posted by snoozervine:
Firstly in the Google calender addon even though I have set it to open on "folders" it always defaults to opening on "Due date" which means for most days I get an empty list.

The Google Calendar Gadget always opens to tasks due on the day the checkbox you click is located on. The checkbox for today always opens to the Hotlist. Even though you can see the settings menu if you click up to the top, these settings don't apply for the gadget in Google Calendar, they will only control behavior on the slim site, the iGoogle gadget, the Firefox addon, etc.

Also ideally I would like to open on all tasks as I rarely set dates anyway - I just use it to remind me of things to be done - but there isn't an option in settings to open on that.

At least one request has been made for "all tasks" to be added as an option for the default start page (on slim, igoogle, firefox, etc.), but it would still not apply to the Google Calendar gadget which has its own hardwired way of opening. I think there is sense in how the Google Calendar gadget opens, but it sounds like you should make a request for the ability to change the defaults on gcal. For now, I would say, just open your Firefox sidebar when you want to see your folders view.

Secondly I just don't get the point of having a hotlist when you can already sort tasks by priority and when there is no way to add it when you make a new task anyway. In fact how do you add things to the Hotlist?

The Hotlist contains all tasks which are due soon, or have a high enough priority. You can set how soon, and how high a priority in your account settings. Any task added which meets either of your criteria will be added to the Hotlist.

The stars also seem a bit redundant and in the Firefox version there is no method for adding a star anyway in the add new task dialogue.

Stars are very useful. I use them to create on-the-fly focus lists that I can't get through typical sorting/filtering. Others use them to help organize systems where parent tasks are projects.
While they are not in the Firefox(slim, etc.) Add Task area, and you are right they should be, after adding a task you are taken straight to that task's detail page, and you can star it there by clicking the empty star icon next to its title.

~Anders
roddyt

One more comment on the stars is that they increase the Importance level by one. So there is a functional as well as visual effect.
snoozervine

re the Hotlists - I see now. They only show up if you have a due date set and it is within 14 days (by default). I must start setting due dates I suppose but I don't really need that aspect so I wasn't. I did have some tasks set to Top though and they weren't showing in the hotlist even though that criterion was also set in options.

Same problem with the Google calender version - one reason I don't set due dates is I just want a list of tasks in front of me as a reminder at all times - having only what I need to do on the day in front of me is liable to make it easier to forget the other things

Anders

That is strange that your Top priority tasks do not show up on the Hotlist. The only thing I can think of is that there must be some filter setting preventing them from showing up.

I would check the Status of those tasks to make sure they are active, and also look at the bottom of your Hotlist to see if there is a message like "some# active tasks are hidden due to your filter settings", and if so try clicking "Turn off filters".

Edit: Yes, I agree that the Google Calendar gadget is not the best place for working with your overall task list. It is great for being able to see scheduled tasks, though that seems unimportant to you. Still you should get your Hotlist on today, and it should include high priority as well as imminent tasks.

You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.