ForumsQuestionsSaved Searches

Saved Searches
johnprince2112

Posted: Mar 11, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Jake is there a way to either manually re-order my saved searches...OR easily rename them? I have a lot and number them to sort as desired.
1-Work
2-Personal
3-High Priority Items Due to Me

This works great, but I have about 25 of them. If I inject one say at #3, I have to go run, rename, and then delete all the subsequent ones. Was hoping I can simply rename on instead of running it, "saving as" (w/new name) then deleting the one with the old name. Of course better yet manually order them (saved) on both web app and IOS app.

Thanks!

-John
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Sorry, this isn't yet possible.

One thing you could do is put numbers like

100-Work
200-Personal

That way, if you decide you want something between, you will have room to add

150-Something Else
Salgud

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by johnprince2112:
Jake is there a way to either manually re-order my saved searches...OR easily rename them? I have a lot and number them to sort as desired.
1-Work
2-Personal
3-High Priority Items Due to Me

This works great, but I have about 25 of them. If I inject one say at #3, I have to go run, rename, and then delete all the subsequent ones. Was hoping I can simply rename on instead of running it, "saving as" (w/new name) then deleting the one with the old name. Of course better yet manually order them (saved) on both web app and IOS app.

Thanks!

-John

Another possible solution, if you don't require they be in an exact order, is to give them alphabetical prefixes to group them where you want them to appear in the list.I use this system to put the views I use most at the top, the views I use least at the bottom. The views I want at the top of my list have ! symbols in front of them, which puts them at the top. These include !Inbox, !Hotlist (I use my own custom hotlist), and !Star. Below that are various ones with no prefix that fall near the top, which is where I want them, without any manipulation. Below that, I have all the views I use in my Weekly Review labeled WR-001 to WR-012. Theses include special tasks assigned by my boss (WR-002 MAl), a list of Active Projects (WR-006 Active Projects), the Meetings I organize (WR-004 Mtgs), and so forth. Below that, I have my least used views, with prefixes of x, z, and zz, which gives me 3 additional groupings for seldom used views. E.g., I have x Next Actions, z Delegated, and zz All, which has every task in my database, including completed, which I rarely need/use and which takes about 25 seconds to load. I have to be pretty desperate to use this one! :)

The WR grouping does require renaming them all if I add one inside the grouping, but that happens so rarely that I don't worry about it enough to space them out, as Jake has suggested.

So my list looks something like:

New List
!Hotlist
!Inbox
!Star
Due Today
WR001 - T&E
WR002 - MAl
WR012 New Employee
x Active
x Added Today
z Bookmarklets
z Delegated
zz Active
zz All

You could, of course, add more groups simply by adding more symbols.

It's definitely a bit of a hodge-podge, and probably won't appeal to more OCD users than myself (I think I'm only about 40% OCD ;) I've been using this system for a couple of years or more, and don't really notice the symbols except when I'm trying to place a new view.

Personally, I don't think true manual sorting will be a feature for the foreseeable future as all development efforts have been going to adding and fleshing out Lists, Outlines and Habits for over 2 years now, and virtually none going toward task management features. (Take a look at the last couple of years of progress reports if you doubt this fact).

Best of luck finding a system that works for you.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2015.
johnprince2112

Salgud, thanks for the reply.....I definitely think I can incorporate some of that.I'm new to this app, but absolutely love it. These custom vies are a big player in the way I'm utilizing this so am giving myself a few weeks to conform what is available. I'm soon going to roll this out to my immediate org, and will eventually propose to our division (we have a new CIO so things are in flux). As you know there are politics in involved with something like this so am preparing a deck to present to our execs in a month or two...feedback such as this is incredibly helpful. In a day or so, I'll publish my work flow with this app to solicit areas where there are better practices based on my intents. I understand that there are common controls being used and you would rob peter to pay paul. However, if we all put our heads together, it will pawn one idea, that spawns another, etc,,and thus this app we all love will grow even further, and everyone benefits. ;-)

Thank you again

-John

This message was edited Mar 11, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.