ForumsQuestionsApple Watch

Apple Watch
danray0424

Posted: Mar 30, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Any plans to support the Apple Watch out of the iOS app? Several Toodledo competitors have already announced support (Things and Wunderlist in particular).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 30, 2015
Yes. We will support it. We already have the watch app ready to go as soon as Apple lets us.
danray0424

Posted: Apr 02, 2015
Nice! Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 02, 2015
Good news. Apple has allowed developers to submit Apple Watch apps for review, which we have just done :) With luck Toodledo's Apple Watch app will be available at launch.
Keith Tesler

Posted: Apr 09, 2015
Thanks for the having the app ready to go! Will it give you the ability to add a to do?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 09, 2015
No, adding a task was not something that we could build and test without having a real Apple Watch to test it on. Functionality like adding tasks, habits, etc will come in a later update once we have an Apple Watch and can make sure that what we build will work. The initial version of the Watch app will have the ability to get alarms and view your task list.
Brianus

Posted: Apr 10, 2015
Posted by Jake:
The initial version of the Watch app will have the ability to get alarms and view your task list.

So the initial version is read-only? No way to mark a task as completed?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 10, 2015
Yes. Keep in mind that we had to develop this app without a watch to test on, so we couldn't do a big fancy app. We'll improve it over time to be able to mark tasks as completed and add new tasks. This is just the beginning.
Brianus

Posted: Apr 27, 2015
So I got my Apple Watch on Friday and of course the first third-party app I installed was Toodledo. Here are my impressions after using it for a few days:

Loading:
The app sometimes loads slowly, though I think this is mainly a problem with Apple's setup for third-party apps. Almost all of them have this problem so I don't think I can fault Toodledo for it. I will say that load times seem to get better over time, and generally once the app is loaded (you can see your list) updates happen quickly. A great many of the third-party apps I've tried are so slow as to be unusable, or have issues with communicating with their host app (ie, signed in on the phone but watch doesn't recognize it). I would say Toodledo doesn't seem to have any serious bugs in this area. It is actually usable.

List Interface:
There are no section headings! This is a big omission. I organize my tasks by Context and occasionally like to do it by Start Date. Unfortunately, while all the tasks do appear to be sorted the same way they are in the iPhone app, there are no section headings so I just have to guess/rememeber what the context is. But this is crucial info to me... I don't even know what the background colors or those little triangles on the side of each task represent; I just want my Contexts! Also, while having one line per task I guess helps in scrolling through long lists, it means all but the shortest task names are truncated - sometimes uselessly so, so I'm not even sure what the task is. I really think multi-line tasks would be better. Or you could have the task names automatically scroll horizontally if they're too long.

Drill-down task interface:
Something's missing here - almost all of my tasks show only the title when I drill down. Where are all the fields? Sometimes a due date will be displayed, or the start of a Note, but that's it. I'd really like to see all my fields, at least all the ones I have selected by default in the iPhone app. There's just a lot of wasted empty space here. Also: just like in the list interface, task titles are truncated! So there's nowhere in the watch interface I can see the full task name. One thing that works well, though, is when you drill down into a Note; you can see the entire text and scroll through it if it's a big one. That was very useful.

Editing:
I'm sure you guys are working on adding tasks via Dictation (right???? :p). I was pleased to see you did actually add task completion (despite our exchange above), but there are a couple of issues with it: 1 - you need to drill down on a task and then force-touch to complete. Now, a force touch menu with complete/delete and maybe some other options makes sense on the drill-down screen, but what if we want to quickly mark tasks completed, one after the other? That's a lot of presses. I think a checkbox in the List view, in addition to multi-line tasks, would make a lot of sense here. Issue 2 - task changes made on the Watch don't actually "take" on Toodledo's servers until you manually open the iPhone app. There's got to be a better way to do it - other apps can do stuff like that without manual interaction with the phone, which kinda defeats the purpose of doing it on your wrist.

Anyway - I want to thank the developers for working on the app and getting it released in time for the Apple Watch debut. I don't think I even would have gotten the watch if I didn't think it'd have Toodledo on it! Though I think there's plenty of room for improvement, the app is usable and stable and I'm pretty certain it's going to be a regular part of my daily routine from now on. I look forward to seeing what else you add to it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 27, 2015
Thanks for the positive remarks. Obviously this is the 1.0 release of our Apple Watch app, and it will get better over time. We don't even have our Watch yet, so the loading times and syncing issue that you described we haven't even been able to experience yet.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.