ForumsQuestionsFeature Request for Outlines

Feature Request for Outlines
mike_de_bruyn

Posted: May 01, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
I know it is probably already on your list but just in case ...

As it stands now, the OUTLINE feature is pretty pointless. One can do the same thing in NOTES using some tabs or spaces. In fact, I have done that since I found TD in 2009. I stopped using TD because my ToDo list got Toodlelong ;-) I began to make a simple check list in EverNote so the big urgent items did not get missed. This worked well since I keep EN open as a journal and collection tool. Once I found TaskClone, I ran back to Toodledo because it was so easy to move items from EverNote to TD. In particular, I have PROJECT NOTES in EN which I then edit so that TaskClone creates TD tasks. When I saw the OUTLINE feature in TD I thought I hit the motherload. Alas, this one seems to be played out. The Outline function in TD does LESS than the combination of EV -> TaskClone -> TD.

What is needed is a way to make each level of the outline into a task or folder. Then one would have the ability to do some head scratching in the OUTLINE section and create action items (TASKS) once the roadmap was clear. I could not believe that I could not do it. I moved my cursor all over and found no magic button or link to make an Outline item into a Task. I can't imagine that you are done with this. I mean, there have to be 200 gazillion outline programs out there ... even MS Word has an outliner (or you can just use bullets and tabs to do it.)

Anyway, and as always, thanks for one of the most useful productivity programs out there. I seldom pay for software, as developers all to often go out of business leaving me holding the bag :-( However, once I get the bugs worked out of my TD system, I am definitely going to subscribe to get the added features. As it stands now, TD (along with Evernote, TaskClone, and IFTTT) make up a solid core of productivity programs. Well done.
brennanflynn

Posted: Jun 09, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Yes having the ability to pull an outline of tasks, into tasks would be awesome.

Imagine the ability to create a standard outline (e.g. a project checklist different members of a team would use) and then pull that across to tasks, give it a target or new name/folder and then assign off the various tasks to the responsible team members/collaborators.

The functionality is nearly there, having the ability to add lags to the outline based on the start date of the individual task or master outline (aka phase) would give teams the ability to use Toodledo as a basic workflow system. It would add some complexity to the outline but it would make it a very powerful feature.

As long as you mapped the outline fields properly there would be no need to modify the core task module which already is great (and has all the mobile app support), but the gap now is getting stuff from outlines into tasks. I really see the outline as unusable without the integration to tasks, as with other products like evernote/onenote being much more functionally rich will give it a miss for now.

I'm a big proponent of Toodledo and and have been for many years for my personal life and would love to replace my business workflow system with this.

Would also happily pay a paid subscription for this feature and refer other people in my industry about its effectiveness. Possibly even write the functional specification if that would help you.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 09, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestions. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but these are on our to-do list.

Thanks
MarvenWang

Posted: Sep 16, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Really, really needs the ability to create and attach notes to the outline items like you can in the tasks. Not sure why I would use it as-is over say a blank note under tasks and simple tabbing and spacing or the outline feature in word. In fact, if you add attached notes than it also could effectively replace the notes section all together if you streamline the presentation as you can optionally do in the task list.

Alternatively, offer the ability to group/nest the notes.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.