ForumsQuestionsIs there a way to control the display order of tasks

Is there a way to control the display order of tasks
btltez1

Posted: Feb 14, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Yes please implement this! I keep going back and forth to Things but would rather suppoet Toodledo! But in my situation I have to have manual sorting of tasks. Thanks so much for letting us know you are working on it.
Toodledo is awesome just lacking this one function
mike_de_bruyn

Posted: Feb 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Personally, I don't need and would not use a manual sort. I like things sorted in the order I enter them, which seems to be the case now, but I'm not sure as I have not checked it carefully.

What I would like is a way to color code the tasks. This might help those who need manual sorting ... or maybe not ;-)
mlb32704

Posted: Feb 17, 2010
As a previous Palm user who has bitten the bullet and made the hard switch over to an iPod Touch and ToodleDo this week, this is the ONLY glaring issue that I see.

Please, please, please reconsider including manual sorting functionality with the next release of the free ToodleDo application, but please do not get rid of the current sorting functionality that is available as well (i.e. due date, folder, priority, status, etc.).

FYI, with just two sorted fields (priority and due date), I can emulate EXACTLY the same to do list layout as Palm. BUT I cannot reorder the items manually.

Please.
xenologue

Posted: Mar 05, 2010
I would also really like to be able to manually order certain tasks.
drylemming

Posted: Mar 30, 2010
+1 on manual sorting.

I transfer all my todos for the day to a sticky note so I can put them in manual order. But I've realized that I only do this at work for while I'm chained to my desk.

For my real life, I think I'd go back to using Toodledo with manual sorting.
Boxin

Posted: Jun 15, 2010
I don't feel a great need about manual sorting anymore, at least we already have that with subtask. However I think toodledo should let us know what the default sort order is when the three sort options are used up. I prefer an alphabetical sort order in that situation, and disappointed it isn't now though.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
When you are sorting your list by three criteria, there is no hidden forth criteria. So, if you have two tasks that match in all three sort criteria, then their order will be random.
stephen.p.carney

My sorting workaround is TIME. On a due date, I make tasks due at 9:00, 10:00, etc., and the time-sort folds time into the "date" sort.

Downside: takes a bit more entry than drag-sort would, and must put a time on every item, as un-timed items fall to bottom. Also triggers your alarms/texts if you use them, and that's clutter if you'd rather not have those.

Upside: it works for sorting. Also, can insert new tasks with intermediate times, to slip something between 3d and 4th slot (e.g., "9:15"). As a bonus, it nudges me to better estimate times for tasks if I want realistic times (but bogus times work fine just for sorting).
jasonkellington

+100 for manual sorting. In my time management system (various methods mashed together) manual sort is critical to allow me to reprioritize my action items if necessary. I also need this to carry over to Taskjot for by Blackberry, which I realize is another issue. I'm guessing if the manual sorting of subtasks is there, it couldn't be too much more to carry that up to all tasks? Here's hoping!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2010.
Boxin

Posted: Jun 16, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
When you are sorting your list by three criteria, there is no hidden forth criteria. So, if you have two tasks that match in all three sort criteria, then their order will be random.

Random? it's kind of confusing, to-do list is more about presenting tasks in a proper order and bet no one wants random here. It will just slow things down.
markjamesdavies

Posted: Jul 06, 2010
I would also like to add my support for the manual sorting feature.

I completely agree with rcross_us, that "...if I had only one feature request to use over the next 5 years this would be it!"

I HAVE TO manage the order of subtasks, and I want to do it QUICKLY.

There are different workarounds folks are using for manual sorting (my workaround tends to be setting a dummy Due Date).

However, workarounds TAKE TIME to micro-manage and can corrupt the meaning of the metadata (e.g. as in my case I have lots of due dates that are complete nonsense, mixed up with REAL due dates, consequently making the use of due dates confusing and belittling the value of due dates).

I use Toodledo for home task management and Achieve Planner (AP) for work planning.

AP is really great for QUICKLY being able to manage and manually reorder tasks (even with keyboard shortcut, e.g. Ctrl+Alt+Shift UP/DOWN (and LEFT/RIGHT for changing the task's nesting level, but that's a bit off topic)).

And QUICKLY is what I need.

The big problem with AP is that it does not sync to iPhone/handheld, and so is not good for remote access when on the move, in meetings, on the tube etc. (which is where Toodledo is absolutely superb, and hats off to them for that!).

So, perhaps looking at AP may inspire a solution to this problem in Toodledo?

Thanks all (and sorry for the various CAPITALISATIONS, I just want to emphasis key points and am honestly not trying to be obnoxious :>)

Mark
markjamesdavies

Posted: Jul 29, 2010
Dooh! Ignore my last post, I should have read through the thread properly. Thanks Toodledo!

Posted by Toodledo:
If you use subtasks, you can manually sort your subtasks via drag and drop.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/3905/0/manual-sorting-of-subtasks.html
Guiba

Posted: Sep 28, 2010
+1 for manual sorting.

Posted by Toodledo:
Other to-do sites have manual sorting because they don't have any of the other sorting methods that we have (due-date, importance, priority, etc). When you try to have both sorting by criteria and manual sorting, it gets really messy and confusing.

Just have the manual sort order recorded in each task. It's as simple as any other criteria and would suffice for most of us.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2010.
Andrew

Posted: Sep 28, 2010
Guys, as Toodledo said in an earlier post, you can just use subtasks for manual sort because subtasks are not sorted by criteria. Sorting manually AND by criteria does not make sense. They are mutually exclusive.

Just think about it. You have tasks A, B, C, D, and E, but you tell the program to sort it A, B, E, C, D instead BUT you still want the rest of be sorted alphabetically. How is the program supposed to keep track of that? "Task E is stored after task B" What happens if you complete task B? It's just way too complicated and unnecessary since it is already implemented in subtasks.
Guiba

Posted: Oct 04, 2010
I see no conflicts here. Manual sort would be used only when there's a tie in all the other criteria (or "manual sort" is directly selected from sorting options)
rcurry71

Posted: Dec 19, 2010
I have used Franklin Covey's A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, C1 prioritization for more than a decade. I have most recently been using Plan Plus (an Outlook add-on). I love the ability to drag/drop tasks. I often have many, many tasks each day. In Toodledo (which I am currently testing to see if I like it), I have so many tasks that have the same priority, but are not in the correct order as I want to complete them.

Please add the ability to manually sort.
drylemming

Posted: Dec 20, 2010
Posted by Andrew:
Guys, as Toodledo said in an earlier post, you can just use subtasks for manual sort because subtasks are not sorted by criteria. Sorting manually AND by criteria does not make sense. They are mutually exclusive.

From a user interface standpoint it is certainly not mutually exclusive. Manually setting subtask sorting criteria for sequencing is too much a break from planning and doing. What we are calling manual sorting is really a UI technique for setting these subtasks. What I would like is an easy way to set this sequencing field. On the data record side it accomplishes essentially the same thing you are suggesting. Drag-and-drop is just a productivity-friendly way of setting this field.

Edit: if this were part of subtasks and only available in premium, that would be a reason for me to upgrade and buy the iPhone app. As it is the website is fine because I don't use as frequently as I would if I had me sequence tracked on toodledo. I suspect that this is an upgrade that would mean greater conversion of free to paid subscriptions for you.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2010.
mstaples

Posted: Dec 22, 2010
'Action List' has a pretty decent implementation of this
klynngullo

Posted: Apr 23, 2011
Another request for manual sorting please. When I have multiple items matching a sort critera I still need to place these in a usable order, which can change as the day/project progresses. Part of organizing, for me, is establishing the order in which tasks should be taken. Currently Toodledo does not provide that function without allowing manual sort.
Pommette

Posted: May 04, 2011
I add my vote too. And please make this possible on the iphone app!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.