ForumsQuestionsViewing subtasks w Parent; star 4 Parent or other functions?

Viewing subtasks w Parent; star 4 Parent or other functions?
lite1

Posted: May 28, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I'm new to TD and am gradually adopting some (probably not all GTD principles). I know that Vin Thomas uses Stars for all Parent level tasks and that others think this is a good idea. I'm not yet sold on it, so welcome your thoughts on the following.

I work online only (not mobile) and am at this point almost always in Folder view and am Pro subscriber. I use Folders for major life areas - not for "Projects". Most often I like to see a subtask in the "context" of its parent so I can focus on the over-arching goal implied in that Parent-name. I "hate" it when I choose a sort method that pulls out subtasks from their Parent; and this happens far too often. The only way I have found to get the view I want is to use the "toggle subtasks" choice - this seems to override some of the sort criteria, but at the very least it gives me the nesting I want. Are there Sort choices for criteria 1, 2, and 3 that keep subtasks nested?

I have been reluctant to dedicate the Star to something like Parent task as it is a powerful tool and if there are other ways to make Parent tasks float to the top I'll probably settle on that. For the time being, I am doing two things with my Parent tasks: 1) I always start them with a "+" sign; this seems to get them to the top alphabetically; and if I ever encounter them naked I know that they are a parent with additional (plus) things somewhere. 2) I also type in all caps. My own way of having them stand out a bit more. Are there any pitfalls in this approach? If there aren't many drawbacks, then this would allow me to use Star to quickly tweak the importance of something; or to use Star as an easy way to choose a number of diverse tasks/subtask for a search and multi-edit process.

I know that my approach with TD will evolve from use, but hope to head off in some reasonable directions initially so I don't end up with a major overhaul to my approach in the first month. I'd rather get things done than be continually tweaking my use of TD. One of the "drawbacks" to TD is its power and flexibility, which unfortunately allows newbies to adopt some poor initial strategies.

I might start using Tags with the Project name so that when subtasks get viewed away from Parent that it clearer what they are connected to. However I am hoping to limit the number of fields I actually have to fill in when creating a new task. My initial thought is that Tagging might be worth the additional entry time for those things that are repeating.

Thx to all who have given details about what they are tracking in their life; how they have setup TD; and the pros/cons of that approach so others with similar needs might try it out.

Edward
Vin Thomas

Posted: May 28, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I agree, using stars is less than ideal. It would be great if there were either a formal "projects" feature, or the ability to sort parent tasks to the top. The star workaround is just that, a workaround. I am sure TD has plans to remedy this in future updates.

I did use tags for a while to sort projects, but I like the visual layout of having my subtasks nested ALWAYS without dividers. Sorting by tag didn't allow this.

Thanks for the tips.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 29, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
We will be adding the ability to sort parent tasks to the top really soon. Its actually already working on our development server.
Anders

Awesome!
lite1

TD DEVELOPERS - THANK YOU
Glad to hear that. I expect that I can save the use of Star for other purposes as I am already heading in that direction.

TD, thanks for continuing to keep users in the loop and giving us a heads up on things that are planned; things that are actually likely to be soon. To me this is very helpful communication. For my part, I will commit to never faulting you if for some reason you are unable to follow through on some thing even though it is your intention to deliver it.

As I commented during my evaluation period, the attitude and good communication behavior of TD developers is a fabulous plus to what is a very good and competitive product. That is why I migrated from RTM.

Again thanks, Edward
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
We will be adding the ability to sort parent tasks to the top really soon. Its actually already working on our development server.

Any chance we will see it in the iPhone app as well at some point?

Thanks for continually improving your excellent website. :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, the iPhone app will have this too, along with some other fancy stuff :)
Anders

Posted by Toodledo:
Yes, the iPhone app will have this too, along with some other fancy stuff :)

Fantastic! I love fancy stuff :)
Vin Thomas

Posted: May 30, 2009
AMAZING! This will really help!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.