ForumsQuestionsRevisiting Google & iCal

Revisiting Google & iCal
replytoken

Posted: May 29, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I had to take a break from my previous evaluation of Toodledo (and its relationship w/Google and the iPhone/iPod Touch), but I am back at it again, and I want to revisit an issue to make sure that I am correctly understanding the relationship between Toodledo, iCal and Google Calendar.

I have again placed an iCal link in my Google calendar. I know that this is a one-way relationship, and that it is updated approximately every 24 hrs. But, what I am not certain about is how, if at all, changes made in Toodledo are reflected in Google Calendar after iCal updates. I created a dated/timed task that showed up fine in my iPod Touch from Google, but when I changed the task a day later to another time or date, and changed the task description, the next iCal update did not pick up the movement and text change of the task. What this leads me to believe is that my Google calendar could be populated with a lot of outdated information over time. Once a task is created in Toodledo and carried into Google from iCal, just exactly what changes that originated in Toodledo will later be reflected in Google's calendar?

--Ken
Anders

The good news:
Things added to Toodledo actually update to Google a little more often than every 24 hours.

The bad news:
Things changed on Toodledo take much longer to change on Google and may not ever. This is a problem with the way Google handles iCals, and has caused me to look into other caledar options, but so far there is really no alternative with anything luke the features of gcal.

~Anders

This message was edited May 29, 2009.
lite1

Replytoken several threads in last few weeks on this area and most are rather discouraging. I concur with most of what Anders points out from my own exp. with TD and Gcal (but never using things with a mobile device).
1) Gcal seems to synch at least once every 24 hour period of time; perhaps as many as 4 times/24 hours. The pattern seems unpredictable.
2) Even when it does synch; the actual synch has some peculiarities. Namely, an entirely new task in TD is (very to 100%)likley to "show up"; however there are numerous times that a task that has been modified does not show up with this first synch, yet shows up subsequently.

Unlike Anders, I have never had a task that did not at some point show up within 36 hours. Bottom line for me has been that Gcal is so often out of date (missing tasks) or mis-leading (task info. that is there) that I would not trust it as an important tool in my life. For the most part I have completely abandoned Gcal which I had only been experimenting with - hoe that Anders or someone finds a decent alternative but am not holding my breath.

If you find the thread where it is suggested that one go the Google forum to a thread where many of us have "complained" to Goog about how useless Gcal is bec. synch is too infrequent AND does not even come close to following a pattern - please add your voice to that Goog thread.

Edward
P.S. I am also hoping that TD adds some greater functionality to its own internal calendar. I love TD but also would like to have a non-text more pictoral view of my tasks that comes with a calendar. Not sure why what seems like such a basic function seems so challenging for programmers to develop in a decent manner.
replytoken

This is kind of what I thought. And to make matters worse, Google's own tasks are not picked up by the iPod's calendar. So, I feel like I am back to where I started several months ago.

--Ken
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.