ForumsQuestionsCalendar Schedule View

Calendar Schedule View
amygrennan87

Posted: Sep 15, 2015
Score: 3 Reference
Been using Toodledo as my main task list for work for some time now and I love it, good job people.
However, I've been looking for a way to have my task list viewed as a calendar schedule much like you would have your appointment list in outlook or the like.
I've tried merging them into my outlook calendar, but keep coming across some fairly major sync issues e.g all appointments coming in at US times instead of Ireland & connection lost if I log off my pc or out of my online calendar.
If I had the ability to view my tasks in this format on the Toodledo website then I wouldn't need any external calendars.
Any ideas?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 0 Reference
Toodledo is primarily a to-do list which doesn't always translate perfectly into a calendar. For example, tasks without a date or tasks that repeat from their completion date are difficult to represent on a calendar. We have several options for syncing calendars to external programs that may work for you. Can can see this in the Tools section.
coolexplorer

Score: 2 Reference
Posted by amygrennan87:
I've been looking for a way to have my task list viewed as a calendar schedule much like you would have your appointment list in outlook or the like.
I've tried merging them into my outlook calendar, but keep coming across some fairly major sync issues.....
If I had the ability to view my tasks in this format on the Toodledo website then I wouldn't need any external calendars.
Any ideas?

I second the suggestion to either provide efficient 2-way sync to users main calendar (I use Google calendar) or a diary like calendar view with my tasks populated in the day slots -- showing day view, week view and month view.
cngraham

Posted: Sep 22, 2015
I get the limitations of tasks without due dates, etc., but the current calendar view is useless.

It would be REALLY helpful to have tasks with due dates laid out in calendar format (e.g., each date is a square that includes the tasks due on those days). On top of that, a task could be selected and moved to another due date. Check out Asana's calendar view for an example of that functionality.

Taking it up another notch, the calendar with tasks with due dates could be in one pane and then a list of tasks without due dates could be in another. The user could then drag tasks without due dates onto the calendar, creating due dates, or leave them there and have access to them if they truly don't have dates.
coolexplorer

Score: -1 Reference
Most Productivity articles nowadays suggest that if tasks are not scheduled in time slots in a calendar they hardly ever get done. This is because not only should you have the intention of doing a task but you should have the time and single task focus to do it, or to re-schedule it if it is not possible on a particular day or week. A visual layout clearly show whether there is time or whether there are conflicts with other tasks/events.
Alas the developer of TD is underestimating the power of scheduling tasks.

I could work with a good 2-way sync with GCal, but this is also not there. I have to re-enter TD each time to re-schedule my TD task showing in GCal.

The Android App "Ultimate ToDo List" gets it right with 2-way sync.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We have plans to improve our calendar view. Thanks for the feedback.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 23, 2015
Posted by coolexplorer:
Most Productivity articles nowadays suggest that if tasks are not scheduled in time slots in a calendar they hardly ever get done. This is because not only should you have the intention of doing a task but you should have the time and single task focus to do it, or to re-schedule it if it is not possible on a particular day or week.

This is interesting because my experience over the years has been that putting in "artificial" due dates in order to get things done has been that I end up spending more time updating those artificial due dates and it becomes a major hassle. I've even found myself avoiding my task management tool (this started long before TD came along with many other task managers) entirely because I didn't want to update all the tasks I hadn't gotten done "on schedule", even though the dates were just made up. I guess everyone is different.

That said, I agree that the calendar view is useless as is (even commented about this when it was revised a few years back. Before the revision, it was better than it was after.), and can definitely be improved.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 23, 2015
Our recommendation has always been to only use due-dates for tasks that must be done on that date. Doctors appointments, work project deadline, etc. If the task has no hard date, we think that its better to use priority, status and other attributes to organize your tasks. Otherwise, like Salgud mentioned, you will end up spending a lot of time managing your tasks by rolling uncompleted tasks forward to future dates.
coolexplorer

Posted: Sep 25, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
I understand and appreciate the expert advice given by both you and Salgud regarding pseudo Due Dates (which I do not use) and the repetitive iterations involved in changing Start Dates (which I sometimes use). Thanks guys, you may be right, I need to rethink this.

What I would like as an enhancement to TDs already powerful features are :

1. 2-way sync with GCal so that I can make minor adjustments to my scheduled tasks in the calendar (edit task title, delete task, move ahead to another more convenient date, etc.) without entering TD each time, changing the field variables and waiting for 12 hours for the sync to register. This is possible as shown by the Android app "Ultimate ToDo List". Alternately showing all my Due and Repeating tasks in a Week at a glance or Month at a glance format in TD calendar. The first is preferable because I can see my entire schedule of 5+ calendars together (Work, Home Shared, Private, TD, Ultimate ToDo, etc.).

2. A way to manually sequence only the tasks in my Todays Hotlist so that I can put them in a particular order the night before and cruise through them the next day. Currently I have to scan the entire Hotlist each and every time before picking a Task to do next (energy and motivation wasted in decision making each time).
I used my own Custom search Todays Hotlist (so it may be difficult but not impossible to provide this feature there).

Love TD and the new design changes. Keep concentrating on enhancing the TASK manager features where I spend 90% of my TD time.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but these are on our to-do list.

Thanks
ukz_

Posted: Oct 01, 2015
Posted by Jake:
Our recommendation has always been to only use due-dates for tasks that must be done on that date. Doctors appointments, work project deadline, etc. If the task has no hard date, we think that its better to use priority, status and other attributes to organize your tasks. Otherwise, like Salgud mentioned, you will end up spending a lot of time managing your tasks by rolling uncompleted tasks forward to future dates.

On that basis, tasks should only appear on the day they are due.

Having a "live" task appear on every day from now until it's due date achieves nothing other than to clutter up the view ; just because I can work on it every day from now until it's due doesn't mean I have to and so it shouldn't appear on those days.

Tasks without due dates can't be put on a calendar of course and nor should they.

In short, only having tasks with due dates on the calendar (regardless of start date) and only on the date they are due would be a first step (and maybe the only step).
coolexplorer

Posted: Oct 05, 2015
Depending on the task one can set the due date to "due on" instead of "due by", and use the option to "not show future tasks". Some users may want the Start Dates of some tasks to appear on their Calendar, but I appreciate your view, therefore it should be an Optional turn on.

The android app "Ultimate ToDo List" allows you to specify which tasks to put on your calendar. Isn't that interesting?
jessicandavis

Posted: Jan 23, 2016
I concur with many others about the need to plan my day, but also to drag to specific time spots. Please keep us updated on the status of this. Thanks.
simmie

Posted: Jul 11, 2016
This is an excellent idea, suggested by cngraham. I, too, find the lack of a usable calendar - one capable of doing the types of things mentioned here - very frustrating. Should be SO easy to develop and implement, I would imagine. Toodledo is a wonderful tool, and this would make it pretty much complete. Well, and maybe with the added ability to color code tasks, customizing the typeface color as needed. Thanks.

Posted by cngraham:
I get the limitations of tasks without due dates, etc., but the current calendar view is useless.

It would be REALLY helpful to have tasks with due dates laid out in calendar format (e.g., each date is a square that includes the tasks due on those days). On top of that, a task could be selected and moved to another due date. Check out Asana's calendar view for an example of that functionality.

Taking it up another notch, the calendar with tasks with due dates could be in one pane and then a list of tasks without due dates could be in another. The user could then drag tasks without due dates onto the calendar, creating due dates, or leave them there and have access to them if they truly don't have dates.
simmie

Posted: Jul 11, 2016
Posted by Jake:
Thanks for the suggestions. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but these are on our to-do list.

Thanks
Don't you mean they're on your TOODLEDO list?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.