ForumsQuestionsViewing parent task in searches

Viewing parent task in searches
karl.berry

Posted: Oct 01, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I have a saved search, “Due in 7-days or top-priority”. Some of the tasks that appear under this search are subtasks and don’t make sense without the context of the parent task. However, clicking the icon then replaces the subtask with the parent task only and then I have to work from that position.

Some task managers I’ve used before have the facility to view a subtask with the parent task prefixed on the same line, for example: “Plan conference > Organise food”. Is that possible in Toodledo?

With many thanks for any help you can offer.
coolexplorer

Posted by karl.berry:
....... subtasks and don’t make sense without the context of the parent task. However, clicking the icon then replaces the subtask with the parent task only and then I have to work from that position.

Some task managers I’ve used before have the facility to view a subtask with the parent task prefixed on the same line, for example: “Plan conference > Organise food”. Is that possible in Toodledo? ......

Great idea! Would elegantly clear a lot of confusion with subtasks (specially in inline mode) if it is technically possible. Even if the Parent titles are abbreviated to say the first 20 characters it would be OK, if they are shown fully in the pop-out on cursor over. Convenience and clarity would then continue to drive the design changes.
Salgud

Posted by karl.berry:
I have a saved search, “Due in 7-days or top-priority”. Some of the tasks that appear under this search are subtasks and don’t make sense without the context of the parent task. However, clicking the icon then replaces the subtask with the parent task only and then I have to work from that position.

Some task managers I’ve used before have the facility to view a subtask with the parent task prefixed on the same line, for example: “Plan conference > Organise food”. Is that possible in Toodledo?

With many thanks for any help you can offer.

Have you tried setting tasks to indented in the Show box? Works just fine that way for me. YMMV.
karl.berry

Hi and thanks for responding. It is set to indented and that shows fine when I'm viewing all tasks. However, in saved searches, because the parent task doesn't fall within the search criteria I've set, “Due in 7-days or top-priority”, it doesn't appear.
Salgud

Score: 2 Reference
You need to change your Settings under Modify Subtask Settings, the last option at the bottom of the list is "Indented mode shows all subtasks nested, even if the parent shouldn't be visible". Give that a try.
karl.berry

Posted: Oct 02, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't been aware of this.

I think that the only improvement i would like design wise would, in Toodledo terms, be classed as “Subtasks styled with parent task”. I might suggest it to Toodledo.

Many thanks again for taking time out to help.

This message was edited Oct 02, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.