ForumsQuestionsClone Task and Edit

Clone Task and Edit
John_T

Posted: Oct 07, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Hello All;

I'm looking for an easier way to accomplish the following: I have a task with about 15 sub stask that I clone regularly. I have tagged the task and sub tasks with "Template" and I filter with the Template Tag off until I need to clone it. When I want to clone the task, I filter the Template tag on and clone. Now I have to go to the cloned task and remove the Template tag from the task and all sub tasks....PITA.

So any suggestions on an easier way to do this. I just need to hide "Template" task until I need to clone it, and once cloned hide it and show the cloned task.

Thanks

- John
Salgud

I do pretty much the same thing, but in an entirely different way. I have templates for quite a few different multi-task "projects" that I do repeatedly, like monthly meetings I organize, get the agenda, take minutes, etc. I don't use tags for identifying these templates for the very reason you're encountering. You have to add/delete tags one at a time if the task has more than one tag. (Major limitation of TD's implementation of tags that has been on "the list" for years).

Instead of a tag, I have a Folder called Templates, where all the templates are kept. When I want to create a specific instance from a template, I simply clone the parent task, give it a specific name ("PAG TEMPLATE" becomes "PAG July 15", then multi-edit the relevant fields for the specific instance. My template tasks all have a priority of -1, a status of Planning, and are in the Templates folder. This gives me lots of ways to filter them out of virtually all my other views so they only show up when I'm using them to create a new instance. It takes only a minute or two to create a new instance, no matter how many tasks it has because I can multi-edit them all, which you can't do with tags if the tasks already have other tags you with to preserve.

Hope this helps.
John_T

@ Salgud, thanks for the suggestion, using Folders is a good idea.
Olivir2015

Posted: Oct 09, 2015
Wow, using folders for templates...brilliant idea and it has solved my problém with these. Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.