ForumsQuestionsRepeating tasks and status

Repeating tasks and status
johnsass88

Posted: Oct 22, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

If I have a repeating task, is there any way to "reset" the status of it whenever I finish it? My understanding was that I could, for instance, look through my todolist each morning and set the status to some tasks as "Next Action" to remind myself that these are the ones I would focus on today. But if I do that with a repeating task, when it returns it will retain its "Next Action" status, even though I hadn't marked it as such on this particular day. Do I have to manually reset the status of repeating tasks, or have I misunderstood the purpose of the status field/repeating tasks?
Salgud

AFAIK, there is no automated way to reset the status of a task. I'm not familiar with IFTTT (?), so I don't know if it can do that, but TD can't.

Next best thing I can think of is a Custom Search that finds these tasks so you can multi-edit them all at once. If you're interested in this workaround, but not yet familiar with Saved Searches, just post in these forums where you'll find lot's of help.
coolexplorer

IMO the TD Hotlist formula does not in any way take into account the Status of Tasks in its Prioritization, except for the difference between active and differed tasks. It only takes into account the Priority score, Stars and Dates (Start, Due and Overdue). Hope I am not wrong on this.
Thus the Statuses are useful for ones own Clarification and Planning of tasks before you assign them Priority scores, Stars or Dates.

I personally do not use the Status field at all as it involves too much work continuously updating the status of tasks in the flow of GTD. I just use Priority scores to upgrade / downgrade tasks, Stars to pop-up the days tasks, and Dates to mark Urgency and find my Overdue "frogs" those that I constantly delay.

I have incorporated a few statuses like "Clarify/Plan", "Waiting", in my Context field. I initially had my "Delegated Tasks" in Contexts, but have now moved them to Tags as specific peoples names or as "othersDelegate" in Tags.

Oh! I only use "Custom Saved Search Views" including views such as "!Hotlist", "Delegated/Wait", "Project+subtask", "Repeating Tasks", "xCompleted Today", "xNew Tasks", etc, etc. all based on my own definitions. The same carries over to my mobile Android App "Ultimate ToDo List".

Hope this helps.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2015.
johnsass88

Posted: Oct 23, 2015
Thanks for the replies - I don't use the standard hotlist (as it doesn't take start times into account), but agree that stars are an easier way to mark todays tasks, so ill probably change to using that. Unfortunately, they also don't seem to reset for repeating tasks, but the search-multiedit wasn't a bad idea - I'll see what I can do about it.

Thanks!
Purveyor

Posted by johnsass88:
Unfortunately, they also don't seem to reset for repeating tasks, but the search-multiedit wasn't a bad idea - I'll see what I can do about it.
There is a way of automatically unstarring repeating tasks on completion.
In Settings: https://www.toodledo.com/account_edit.php?edit=22
johnsass88

Oh! Had completely missed that! Thank you very much! :D
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.