ForumsQuestionsProject management

Project management
ginny_2

Posted: Dec 04, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
HI there, I'm new to Toodledo. What's the best way of managing a project using it?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 04, 2015
The beauty of Toodledo is that there is no one best way to use it. Your best way will be different from my best way. I encourage you to experiment with different fields and settings to find what works for you. Our help section will explain how the individual features work, and if you have more specific questions, please ask here or via a private support ticket if you prefer.
Salgud

Posted: Dec 07, 2015
Posted by ginny_2:
HI there, I'm new to Toodledo. What's the best way of managing a project using it?

I agree with Jake that there is no "right" way of managing projects in TD and that there are many ways. One common way is to use Folders as projects, parent tasks as subheadings under projects, and subtasks as your working level tasks. Unfortunately, this limits us to 3 levels within a project, which is often not nearly enough. Then we have to get more creative with the resources at hand. For most, there are fields available in TD that we aren't using for their "intended" purpose. This might be Contexts, Tags, Priority, etc. By breaking away from our expectations of using these parameters as "expected", we can use them for anything, including projects, we desire. For example, I don't use Contexts as they are originally intended. They were originally intended to be used in a GTD sense, based on resources available/needed for doing a particular task, such as computer, phone, office, etc. Some would argue these distinctions are antiquated given the availability of phones and computers virtually anywhere we go. In any case, I use Contexts as people I work with, since I do work for so many different people, so Context just tells me who I'm doing a particular task for.

At one time, I tried using Goals to give me 3 additional levels within a project, but found this solution too kludgy even for me, though I have a pretty high kludge tolerance, but it might work just fine for you. Just don't limit your use of TD by feeling obligated to use these parameters as intended. Use them to suit your own individual needs to make TD work for you.

Best of luck, and remember, these forums are available with lots of experienced users who are happy to help you.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Dec 07, 2015
Hello,

everyone uses Toodledo in different ways.

My projects (small ones) are folders with its corresponding tasks - no big deal here.

My big projects, spanning a year of work or more, is organized in an Outline, with the small projects turned into a folder that is named differently, and with its corresponding tasks (i don't use subtasks).
Name of Outline: Make whatever to Client X
Name of Folder: Cliente X: Research systems
Then its tasks.

If a task has a checklist or resources to use, then it has attached a link to its corresponding list.

When in my Weekly Review (that has a checklist) I update the outline or if needed for a meeting I show my outline of the project.

For me, it works
Adrien Beau

Posted: Dec 08, 2015
Posted by Salgud:
For example, I don't use Contexts as they are originally intended. They were originally intended to be used in a GTD sense, based on resources available/needed for doing a particular task, such as computer, phone, office, etc. Some would argue these distinctions are antiquated given the availability of phones and computers virtually anywhere we go.

They're still very relevant to me, since I live in two different towns and also have tasks to do at three other places. They also help me distinguish my personal tasks from my professional tasks. On that level, I need to distinguish tasks that can only be done on the clients' premises from tasks that can be done anywhere with Internet access.

To each his own. :-)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.