ForumsQuestionsToodledo in offline mode

Toodledo in offline mode
davidkoeneman_1312293596

Posted: Mar 14, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
I am a Macbook user, and Toodledo has served me well until, the majority of my down time to update and work tasks has been on an airplane. Which has no wifi connectivity (unless I pay thru the nose for it, and then it is slow). So other than paying for yet another desktop task management solutions to sync with Toodledo, how do I get to use Toodledo in offline? Then resync when I have a wifi connection?

Googling the question points me to Gsyncit and Outlook, which Gsyncit does not have a Mac version, and Outlook will not connect to my email on my Macbook. So no-go's there. Everything else is a 2 and 3 step process to connect, license, configuration, manual and pretty much manually sync. Looking for direction.
Sabina A.

Hello,

You can use our mobile website for offline access and changes with sync up when you reconnect.

m.toodledo.com

Hope that helps!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are also working to bring offline mode to our regular desktop website in the future.
coolexplorer

Posted: Mar 15, 2016
Posted by Jake:
We are also working to bring offline mode to our regular desktop website in the future.

That would be great!!
Long Vu

Posted: Mar 15, 2016
Previously used http://taskunifier.sourceforge.net/ for offline desktop app ... until it became abandonware (the only dev stopped working on it).

It worked quite well. I stopped using it because I do not want any synchronization problem if ever Toodledo change and the app is not updated (I might be too paranoid).

Instead of trying to have a offline mode for the desktop website, how about Toodledo continue the maintenance of this taskunifier (that is in Java so completely cross-platform)?

I much prefer real standalone desktop client than coercing a webapp to be offline. If some other website crash my browser, will the "offline Toodledo" survive? If I need to wipe my browser config/profile to erase all trace of all the cruft accumulated by other sites, will "offline toodledo" survive? While logged into the "offline toodledo", and browsing to other sites, can the other sites see all my toodledo data?

There are probably defensive mechanism for all this but you have to pay attention to them. Having a real distinct standalone desktop client and you never have to worry about all this because all the processes/data are all isolated.

Just my 2 cents.
Adrien Beau

Posted: Mar 16, 2016
Most likely, Toodledo would be using standard HTML 5 Offline Storage (also known as Client-Side Storage). Basically, each web site can store a few megabytes of data on your computer in the form of a small database managed by the browser. Think of it like much bigger cookies. The restrictions and rules are pretty much the same.

Posted by Long Vu:
If some other website crash my browser, will the "offline Toodledo" survive?

It should. It should also be transactional, so at worst you would lose your most recent change; the rest of the data should not be corrupted by the crash.

Posted by Long Vu:
If I need to wipe my browser config/profile to erase all trace of all the cruft accumulated by other sites, will "offline toodledo" survive?

No, it would be erased. But then you could just go to the Toodledo website, which would resynchronize the data.

Posted by Long Vu:
While logged into the "offline toodledo", and browsing to other sites, can the other sites see all my toodledo data?

No, unless there is a security issue with the browser. (I'm not aware of any big failure in that area.)

Posted by Long Vu:
Having a real distinct standalone desktop client and you never have to worry about all this because all the processes/data are all isolated.

You have to worry about a crash just the same. And you have to worry about someone hacking your computer and getting access to the data.
Long Vu

Posted by Adrien Beau:

Posted by Long Vu:
Having a real distinct standalone desktop client and you never have to worry about all this because all the processes/data are all isolated.

You have to worry about a crash just the same. And you have to worry about someone hacking your computer and getting access to the data.

Agreed but it's not at the same level.

Some other site crash the browser and indirectly affect "offline toodledo" is at a different level than some other apps crash the entire OS indirectly affecting the standalone Toodledo desktop client and all other running apps for that matter.

Same can be said for the hacking part. Some rogue site with some cross-site attack to access data of other site opened in the same browser session is not at the same level as the entire OS compromised and leaking data of all installed apps.

I would say it is easier for a browser to be hacked (just navigate to some rogue site and voila). Whereas for an entire OS to be hacked, there must be some additional deliberate actions from the user (open email attachment, agree to execute some programs, physically connect infected usb key to his computer ... doing this while having admin priviledge so the virus can gain full access to the entire OS)

I understand you already have the web development expertise in house so it is easier to justify the offline browser route instead of a real standalone desktop client route.

Lack of resource is a very legit reason too. I am not saying offline browser is a bad idea. I am just bring up alternative (standalone desktop client) and comparing it with offline browser mode.

At the end of the day, if you have a hardended offline browser mode that address my concerns, I am happy too. I just want an even better Toodledo experience. Been a satisfied customer so far, I just find it missing the last piece of the puzzle: offline mode for desktop because when I am on the road with my laptop, I have to access my offline toodledo tasks and notes using my phone and it's no fun.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
There is a tool called "Electron" that makes it possible to turn a website into an offline desktop app. We've been looking at this for the future. It has potential.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.