ForumsQuestionsThinking about moving back - help with project workflow

Thinking about moving back - help with project workflow
John

Posted: Jul 05, 2016
Score: 2 Reference
I have been thinking about moving back to TD after a very long absence. Lately I have been using Todoist, and have been moderately satisfied.
One of the things I like about todoist, its “clean” design, is also one of the things that I also struggle with most. I find it hard to see what I need to see with too much white space and key data elements hidden away.

I love the new quick add feature (a bit more robust and accessible than TD’s – eg I can use it within an existing task title to edit) and the speed at which I can use it (add new items, projects, move things around). Todoist is too heavily due date dependent which causes artificial deadlines.

Todosist starts to break down with the views they have. Filters are similar to TD’s saved searches, but where it break down for me is the ability to group and sort these saved searched. This is a huge win for TD. Plus the recent overhauls in design have been pleasing!

I am now struggling how to fit a few things into my workflow if I were to move back to TD. Primarily 1) projects and 2) areas of focus.

- Like many people, I have a personal task world and work task world, and some other level 1 AORs. Within my work world there are various sub AOR’s, for example, admin, business development, delivery (this being my biggest one – as a consultant all of my work is project based delivery).

- In todoist, I have a lot of projects ~75, about 50 of those are work related. In todoist I can write a search that filters based on projects, and includes all sub-projects (e.g., if I filter on my project named “projects” which has all my delivery projects under this, I can easily add new and delete old projects to this tree without updating any search parameters).

To me folders seems like the right equivalent for projects in my world, but without being able to manage these folders in a logical way that correspond to the various AOR and sub AORs, I feel it will get out of control very quickly. It would be amazing if TD would add a tag / label field to projects that could be included into searches (Nozbe did this and it worked really well I thought).

I have read a few strategies on equating projects in TD and managing AORs, and am looking for thoughts on how I might set up my workflow.

Rather than recap the methods I’ve read, I’ll outline a few of the requirements I need.

- I need to be able to filter the various AOR’s, primarily work vs. personal, but sometimes within the work AOR. Sometimes I look at all my tasks together (since the majority can be done from anywhere these days), and at time I only want to see work or personal tasks.

- I have a lot of projects for work, and add ~2 a week. I need flexibility in managing the AOR filters (I see this as an issue with using folders, and I would have to constantly be updating a number of saved searches).

- One of the key features that attracts me to TD, are the grouping dividers. I want to be able to look at a project and have tasks grouped by status (I see this as a key field in my workflow). If folders = projects this is easy. I don’t know how to achieve a by project view grouped by status if multiple projects are in the same folder – but open to suggestions.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 06, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
It sounds like you want to use "Saved Searches". You may also want to look into "tags" which I think can do some of the labeling and searching that you want.

https://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.