ForumsQuestionsNew iphone sync

New iphone sync
loxendine

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
With version 1.5.0, the sync on exit has been removed. Does this mean if we make a change on the iphone, in order to have accurate information on the website, we must exit and relaunch Toodledo on the iphone?
Mark

You're right it has been removed from testing it. This is not good news as there is no sync button easily on show. Most people will struggle to understand the point of the iphone app being able to create tasks if they don't easily sync back.
Anders

Sync on closing was removed due to problems with people using it on slow networks getting duplications, etc. There is a sync button on the top level menu, and Toodledo has plans to implement some sort of active syncing in a future update. I also miss the feature, and wish the sync button were on every page, but really Toodledo was one of the only apps to do that. Most apps just have a button, and maybe sync on opening. It's not as if they've fallen behind the pack with ease of syncing.
Mark

Posted by Anders:
Sync on closing was removed due to problems with people using it on slow networks getting duplications, etc. There is a sync button on the top level menu, and Toodledo has plans to implement some sort of active syncing in a future update. I also miss the feature, and wish the sync button were on every page, but really Toodledo was one of the only apps to do that. Most apps just have a button, and maybe sync on opening. It's not as if they've fallen behind the pack with ease of syncing.

Taking a step back on a product that worked for many is, in my eyes at least, worse than falling behind any competitor. As soon as you start to remove features you're falling behind.
Anders

I understand where yhou're coming from. I also really liked that feature, and since I have an iPod, never had any problems with it. It may not be much consolation now but Toodledo has said they have plans for something even better than sync on close: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2255/-11283/iphone-app-sync.html
Jake

Toodledo Founder
"Sync on close" has always been a buggy feature and to be honest, we shouldn't have had it in the first place. Apple only gives an app 5 seconds after it closes to run in the background. If you had several edits to sync, or if you were on a slow network this wasn't enough time. When you hit the 5 second mark, the sync would be canceled with no way to communicate to the user that they were not in sync. We think that it is better to remove this faulty feature than to have customers thing that they are synced when they aren't.

The sync button is on the home screen, so you can sync whenever you want, and we are working on some better syncing features for a future update.
loxendine

Posted by Anders:
but really Toodledo was one of the only apps to do that. Most apps just have a button, and maybe sync on opening. It's not as if they've fallen behind the pack with ease of syncing.

The reason I purchased Toodledo is because they were the only ones to offer auto sync on exit. They haven't fallen behind the pack but have become JUST like everybody else. Very disappointing. I really wish they would have made the sync on exit optional. I'm eagerly awaiting the new and improved sync features.

This message was edited Jul 02, 2009.
Joshua

I appreciate the change to exit on sync because my office is in Edge only zone. I was getting many duplicates, so I had to turn off sync at startup. This change is a great FIX for me. Thanks!

An "activesync" would be really cool. Maybe as a middle measure Toodledo can implement an option to sync on start-up and a separate sync on close slider?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.