ForumsQuestionsHow do the new push notifications work?

How do the new push notifications work?
kevin

Posted: Jul 02, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
hihi,

Just got the update for the iphone and its shiny push notifications.

I set reminders in Outlook and synced them into my toodledo, hoping that the reminders would come through - that doesn't seem to be a field supported in toodledo - what fields do cause a push?

Cheers.
KatBoy

I just tested push and it does work - but I set due time and reminder on website and not sure how it works with OUtlook.

But I had someone send me a test text straight afterwards and reminder was lost.... So I may go back to text messaging support for urgent reminders.
Mark

It's not working, I've set up due dates and times in both the web and handset version and I'm not getting pushed anything.
kevin

Posted by BoyOhBoy:
I just tested push and it does work - but I set due time and reminder on website and not sure how it works with OUtlook.

But I had someone send me a test text straight afterwards and reminder was lost.... So I may go back to text messaging support for urgent reminders.

I only see the option to set a day as a due date - is setting a time a feature of a subscription account? Do push notifs only work with subscriptions maybe?
Anders

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that push notifications were not in this update, and were scheduled for the next update.

The Outlook sync tool is not yet able to sync reminders, but that may be added at some point according to the developer. See this thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2296/0/outlook-sync-tool-and-due-time.html
Mark

Posted by Anders:
Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that push notifications were not in this update, and were scheduled for the next update.

The Outlook sync tool is not yet able to sync reminders, but that may be added at some point according to the developer. See this thread: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/8/2296/0/outlook-sync-tool-and-due-time.html

It's on the App Store and the app asks you if you want to switch it on, plus it's in the settings so by all accounts it should be active to the end user.
Anders

Toodledo will have to answer this one I guess. I am beta testing the next version, so can't try the new update. I can tell you (I hpoe Toodledo doesn't mind) that notifications are working very well in the beta.
kevin

Posted by Anders:

Thanks for your reply - perhaps I shoudln't have mentioned Outlook as it confuses my issue - at this stage I am just wondering what triggers a push notification - I will modify my habits to suit.
Anders

I believe the current update includes the framework for notifications, but does not fully support them yet since it was submitted some time ago, and there was no way to test them. Toodledo explains the state of push in the highlighted post here: https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/2229/-11112/iphone-30.html
Jonathan

I think you also need to turn it on from the Reminders/Alarms page under Import/Export/Sync for me there is an iPhone option. Haven't tried it yet though so I might be wrong.

Thanks
Mark

Posted by Anders:
Toodledo will have to answer this one I guess. I am beta testing the next version, so can't try the new update. I can tell you (I hpoe Toodledo doesn't mind) that notifications are working very well in the beta.

I beg to differ - I'm on the beta and they're not working at all!

Again, it would be useful to clarify if this is a pro only feature.
Anders

Did you confirm in the app that you want push notifications, and set iPhone for reminders on the Toodledo reminder configuration page?
Mark

Posted by Anders:
Did you confirm in the app that you want push notifications, and set iPhone for reminders on the Toodledo reminder configuration page?

Yea. Have reistalled the config file and beta too.
Not a thing.
Anders

The only thing I can think of is make sure you click "Save Changes" after selecting iPhone here: https://www.toodledo.com/connect_remind.php
It is a simple thing, but easily overlooked. Beyond that, I will have to leave this for Toodledo to answer.
Mark

Posted by Mark:
Posted by Anders:

Yea. Have reistalled the config file and beta too.
Not a thing.

Interesting, now I just got one. None of the others though just one set in the last five minutes.
kevin

Ok. I've seen a few problems as to why I wasn't getting notifs - wrong time zone - not on rpo.

On a pro trial now - getting notifs sometimes. Other times not. Still trying to figure out if there's some pattern to it.
Anders

One thing to keep in mind is that you must sync back to Toodledo if you set the reminder from within the app since reminders come directly from Toodledo's servers. This means you must also have an active network connection to receive notifications. This is less than ideal for iPod users like me, but it is the only means Apple has provided for third party apps to have push notification.
Anders

Posted by kevin:
I only see the option to set a day as a due date - is setting a time a feature of a subscription account?

You can enable Due Times on the web in your account settings under "Fields/Functions Used", and in the iPhone app under "Settings"->"Fields & Defaults", then tap "Reorder" and drag "due time" (and any other fields you want to use) up into the "Fields Used" section.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Here is our announcement about the new iPhone app with an explanation of push alerts.

http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/2339/0/toodledos-iphone-app-has-been-updated.html
littlebonanzajoe

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
I just updated to the latest release of toodledo (v1.5.2) in hope to get the push notifications running as reliable as on the three other apps I'm running on my 3GS using push.

But the problem remains. Several times a day I check the "Reminders / Alarms" setting on the toodledo website and recognized that in most cases there isn't anymore my iPhone set as notification device. If this happens I start up the app on the iPhone and logout/login on toodledo.com. No the iPhon is there and I save settings. Half an hour later it's gone again.

What I'm doing wrong? I have an non jailborken 3GS with OS3.0 on it. A i mentioned all other app using push are working fine, so it doesn't look like a problem at Apples PN-Servers. Any idea is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.